Guns N’ Roses insider and author Marc Canter gives an EPIC interview with LRI

it's subjective to a point but think about it....a very good song would be known much more faster. so, even if you might rate it the best song ever written...the general public doesnt agree. i dont think it's a good song, sorry.

LRI: Slash ended up going to the Hall Of Fame but originally he put out a blurb in the press saying how the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn’t really mean that much to him before issuing a clarification a few days later saying he understands it’s a great honor. What’s your take on where his head was at on that?

Marc: He lies.
LRI: Huh ??!!!(laughs).
Marc: No, seriously Slash lies

Fuck I am out of "likes"

Marc, I must apologize for Volcano. He actually hates Slash more than Axl does and is under this weird obsession where he thinks that if he insults everything Slash does, while praising everything that Axl does, that someday Beta or Fernando will invite him into the GnR inner-circle. You saying that Slash "lies" was literally the 8th best thing that has happened to Volcano in the past decade.

But thanks for contributing to the forum. It is cool to hear from somebody who actually interacted with the old band. Thanks!

Marc, I must apologize for Groghan. Everything he just posted is a lie especially this imaginary "invite" he has made up in his head.

I have already made a report to the mods about him instigating in your area of the forum.

Now you are reporting people instead of showing them where they are wrong? How old are you again?

What did I say that was a lie?

Do you insult everything Slash does? Did you say that DJ is better than Slash? Did you say that DJ is more relevant than Jimmy Page? Did you say that you came in your pants when it was reported that Axl was coming to Canada? Do you not get constantly harassed by people for your undying support of everything Axl and Beta do? Where did I lie?

Exactly.

Now back on topic.

Marc, when Axl requested Slash to write songs, did he ask Slash something in particular? I mean Axl said "hey I want a bunch of Coma type of songs" Because if Axl only told Slash to write whatever well there isn´t much room to complain. Don´t get me wrong I don´t think the Snakepit songs should be GN´R songs. I have It´s Five O Clock Somewhere and it´s far from being a masterpiece. And Slash should´ve seen that.

NO Axl didn't tell Slash what kind of songs to write. He just didn't think that what Slash came up with was what he wanted to work with except for 3 or 4 songs

'Three or four' is quite a lot really. Four would give Slash one more songwriting credit than he obtained on Use Your Illusion II.

But Izzy was no longer a member, so maybe Slash had a bigger role now.

Plus Slash wanted Axl to use what he has written as is. Not really the process of writing a Guns song up until that point.

Edited by Rovim

Was Slash's demand that Axl use the songs as is Slash's whiny bitch way of getting back at Axl for making him do songs on UYIs that he didn't want to do?

What was even more problematic for me to understand was Slash hoarding the Fall To Pieces riff. Playing it for Axl, only to refuse letting him work on it when Axl liked it. (according to Axl)

That shows they were not really in this together anymore. The trust was gone imo, and the mutual goal was lost. It was every man to himself.

What was even more problematic for me to understand was Slash hoarding the Fall To Pieces riff. Playing it for Axl, only to refuse letting him work on it when Axl liked it. (according to Axl)

Has anyone else verified that? Anything that comes out of ONLY Slash's or ONLY Axl's mouth I pretty much disregard out of hand.

Has anyone else verified that? Anything that comes out of ONLY Slash's or ONLY Axl's mouth I pretty much disregard out of hand.

Not as far as I know. Maybe Marc could shed some light on the matter.

But Izzy was no longer a member, so maybe Slash had a bigger role now.

Axl seemingly wanted Tobias to fufill the 'Izzy' songwriting role but things did not work out with Slash. We will never know.

Plus Slash wanted Axl to use what he has written as is. Not really the process of writing a Guns song up until that point.

If, you believe Axl's viewpoint. I have always found this highly unlikely.

Edited by DieselDaisy

add that Axl had tons of other problems during that time (Hey, Steph! Hey, lawsuits!) and more likely wanted time off. then you have Slash who rarely can't stand still and want to rock out asap and as often as possible. also they both had developped big egos, i mean...they were one of the biggest bands in the world!!
the rare Axl showing up to rehearsals didnt help either.

Especially when you consider that every single other project, from Snakepit, to VR, and even now with the Conspirators, everything is done as a group with everyone putting their 2 cents in.

Especially when you consider that every single other project, from Snakepit, to VR, and even now with the Conspirators, everything is done as a group with everyone putting their 2 cents in.

Marc said in this thread: "Yes but at the same time Slash gave Axl the Snakepit record and said this is what we are going to record. Like I said it works both ways"

So I guess it's not just Axl's word.

The lyrics on the finished Snakepit album were written by Dover, and, Mike Inez provides songwriting contributions. This was after Axl had rejected the original DAT, so this seemingly disproves the point that, Slash had complete songs presupposing extra song writing participation. Are you telling me that Slash wanted to approach the album in a completely different way from the way Appetite was written and usurp the songwriting in effect? Slash is intelligent enough to know where his bread is buttered and know that what made the Appetite album so good was the democratic nature of the songwriting.

No, I do not believe.

The lyrics on the finished Snakepit album were written by Dover, and, Mike Inez provides songwriting contributions. This was after Axl had rejected the original DAT, so this seemingly disproves the point that, Slash had complete songs presupposing extra song writing participation. Are you telling me that Slash wanted to approach the album in a completely different way from the way Appetite was written and usurp the songwriting in effect? Slash is intelligent enough to know where his bread is buttered and know that what made the Appetite album so good was the democratic nature of the songwriting.

No, I do not believe.

No one was talking about lyrics man. Just the instrumentals. This is obvious as Axl is the one who was responsible for writing most of the lyrics in Gn'R...

No one was talking about lyrics man. Just the instrumentals. This is obvious as Axl is the one who was responsible for writing most of the lyrics in Gn'R...

Axl did:

I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

Axl did:

I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… That was denied and I didn’t walk till several months after having 3 to 4 hour phone conversations nearly every day with Slash trying to reach a compromise. I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.

I feel like you're missing something here: Slash came to Axl with the Snakepit demos, told Axl no changes, no nothing. Could it be Slash wanted Axl to have as little influence as possible on the material? I mean, he came up with many of the lyrics or ideas for lyrics correct?

Axl said no to the album as is, Slash took it to Dover and they wrote the lyrics together.

Why is it impossible, in your opinion, for Slash to want to approach the first Snakepit album in a completely different way?

By that time it was every man to himself it seems.

Marc said in this thread Slash presented the Snakepit demos as something that was basically it. That doesn't mean the lyrics were done for it, as Slash's main responsibility in Guns was the lead guitar.

Let me quote what Marc said one more time just in case: "Yes but at the same time Slash gave Axl the Snakepit record and said this is what we are going to record. Like I said it works both ways"

How can you deny this? This doesn't come from just Axl.

But what Axl said here presupposes that Slash already had lyrics: ''I was specifically told (by Slash) no lyrics...and to sing what I was told or fuck off''. Considering the fact that we know that Dover wrote most of the lyrics (sans Be the Ball and the Gilby number) after the DAT had been rejected by Axl, Axl has been caught-out lying here.

Marc said in this thread Slash presented the Snakepit demos as something that was basically it. That doesn't mean the lyrics were done for it, as Slash's main responsibility in Guns was the lead guitar.

Let me quote what Marc said one more time just in case: "Yes but at the same time Slash gave Axl the Snakepit record and said this is what we are going to record. Like I said it works both ways"

We know Slash wanted to return to an Appetite style (i.e. basic rock n' roll), yet, this is not how Appetite was written and Slash knows this. Appetite was written with one guy coming up with one idea, another with another idea, another with another, and all the band jamming on it. You had four main songwriters there. I could well imagine Slash forcing the point that he wanted a 'rock' record, but, I cannot imagine him ever conceiving those 10-12 'Slash' demos as being 'complete songs that did not require Axl's involvement'. It does not even square with how Slash has written, post Guns. Pick any random Slash song from Snakepit or his solo albums and you usually see two-three more songwriting credits.