Did Axl have surgery on his vocal cords?

I am recuperating from thyroid surgery and I can confirm that it has messed with the higher range of my voice. That is pretty much gone for now.

But the scar is not on the neck, it is below the neck. No hole in the neck..

I don't think Axl had surgery.

Ah, another one of these.

I don't think he had surgery on his vocal chords. I do think he had some kind of surgery though for some kind of illness.

There's been rumors on the forum of Cancer... which I'm not saying are true, but there it does explain a lot.

-On CD, he thanked some cancer hospitals.

-It explains the cancelled summer 2001 tour.

-It explains his voice in 2001/2002.

-It explains his frail appearance at time in 2001/2002 and rapid weight loss/gain.

-It explains his lack of eyebrows and plastic looking skin.

-It could be why he got cornrows, to cover hair loss.

-It explains the absence between 1994-2000 and 2003-2005.

-It explains his voice change.

-It explains why he aged so oddly.

It's possible he had some form of cancer in the late 90's and even into the early 2000's. He may have went into a period of remission in 2001/2002 and it could've came back in 2003/2004/2005. 2006 he was definitely healthy. It's possible also it came back in 2011 which would explain his constant sickness and why he wears the hats and sunglasses.

If you've seen his eyes lately, especially during the Jimmy Kimmel interview, there's something weird about them. This could be from treatment. Whatever he had could have to do with the throat, like thyroid or lungs, and that could be the reason behind his vocal issues.

Or, the other possibility is he was an alcoholic for years, sobered up in 2006-2010, and now is off the wagon again. That would explain the erratic behavior in the late 90's and up to 2002.

Edited by liers

I don't think he had surgery on his vocal chords. I do think he had some kind of surgery though for some kind of illness.

There's been rumors on the forum of Cancer... which I'm not saying are true, but there it does explain a lot.

-It explains his frail appearance at time in 2001/2002 and rapid weight loss/gain.

It's possible he had some form of cancer in the late 90's and even into the early 2000's. He may have went into a period of remission in 2001/2002 and it could've came back in 2003/2004/2005. 2006 he was definitely healthy. It's possible also it came back in 2011 which would explain his constant sickness and why he wears the hats and sunglasses.

If you've seen his eyes lately, especially during the Jimmy Fallon interview, there's something weird about them. This could be from treatment. Whatever he had could have to do with the throat, like thyroid or lungs, and that could be the reason behind his vocal issues.

Or, the other possibility is he was an alcoholic for years, sobered up in 2006-2010, and now is off the wagon again. That would explain the erratic behavior in the late 90's and up to 2002.

When was the appearance on Fallon?

There are medications that control hypothyroid symptoms and it can be caused by a number of things not just thyroid removals.

This seems like wild speculation and unsubstantiated rumors again.

If you've seen his eyes lately, especially during the Jimmy Fallon interview, there's something weird about them. This could be from treatment. Whatever he had could have to do with the throat, like thyroid or lungs, and that could be the reason behind his vocal issues.

When was the appearance on Fallon?

There are medications that control hypothyroid symptoms and it can be caused by a number of things not just thyroid removals.

This seems like wild speculation and unsubstantiated rumors again.

Sorry, I meant Jimmy Kimmel...

Surgery and cancer and polyps and holes-in-the-neck :lol:

His voice has never, ever gotten back to the point it was in the early '90s. So as much as we glorify '06 and '10, it's not like he completely changed his singing style. To me it seems apparent that in 2010 - for whatever reason - he felt inclined to sing with more so-called "rasp." And after a full tour, this took its toll. And at the age he's at, and given what we know about his lack of rehearsals, he probably didn't sing until he was ready to go back on tour again - what was it, a year later? Two years later? So probably singing the way he did in 2010 really built up his vocal strength again, but then he let it basically atrophy, and probably singing like he did in 2010 took more of a toll on him, so when he came back again a year or two later he was worse off than ever before.

That's my theory. I don't think it's as complicated or surprising as some people might expect. He apparently went full-force in 2010 then stopped for a while and his voice took a hit as a result.

Surgery and cancer and polyps and holes-in-the-neck :lol:

His voice has never, ever gotten back to the point it was in the early '90s. So as much as we glorify '06 and '10, it's not like he completely changed his singing style. To me it seems apparent that in 2010 - for whatever reason - he felt inclined to sing with more so-called "rasp." And after a full tour, this took its toll. And at the age he's at, and given what we know about his lack of rehearsals, he probably didn't sing until he was ready to go back on tour again - what was it, a year later? Two years later? So probably singing the way he did in 2010 really built up his vocal strength again, but then he let it basically atrophy, and probably singing like he did in 2010 took more of a toll on him, so when he came back again a year or two later he was worse off than ever before.

That's my theory. I don't think it's as complicated or surprising as some people might expect. He apparently went full-force in 2010 then stopped for a while and his voice took a hit as a result.

I think 06 and 2010 was actually better than the 90s. His voice wasn't the same as it was in the 90s.... but he was more consistent night to night than he was in the 90s.

Good discussion. It does seem like he still has it when he wants, but I think he has incurred damage from his style. Now even the raspy songs aren't quite as powerful as in 2010. I remember similar discussions in the early 2000s. He didn't sound good at all in 01 and 02. Did he have something repaired between then and 06? The differences between 01 and 06 is incredible. I wish someone who could interview him ask some real questions, until then, all we could do is speculate.

I don't know if he had surgery or not but, for me, it's irrelevant. I think it's disrespectful towards the fans and irresponsible to go touring if you're not in good conditions because of surgery. Rest and when you are ok, go touring. Otherwise it seems you only want the money and you don't care for the fans. Or explain that you had a surgery so your voice might not be in the best conditions, so people don't complain that much and can appreciate your effort.

The difference in voice and appearence between Rio 2001 and the 2002 shows was pretty intense. Axl's voice after 8 years of silence was much better at the HOB and Rio shows than at any point during the 2002 tour, even if he did some songs really well. But he also appeared to have lost a lot of weight (why people were saying he was fat and hiding in big clothes I'll never know, because he was clearly quite thin in 2002) and most of the power in his voice.

I have no idea how one can say Axl's voice in '02 was weak. The Jungle intros were the best ever; he screamed his head off through LALD in a way he never could before or after '02, etc etc. He could sing Rocket Queen with quality...He could sing YCBM.... I understand if some people dont like the high voice, and I understand that his voice could waver a lot when he was running around and shit, but overall I think the '02 voice might've actually been his most powerful. He was determined to one-up the old GNR. He did it with a kick ass band, a whole new look, and yes, his voice.

I have no idea how one can say Axl's voice in '02 was weak. The Jungle intros were the best ever; he screamed his head off through LALD in a way he never could before or after '02, etc etc. He could sing Rocket Queen with quality...He could sing YCBM.... I understand if some people dont like the high voice, and I understand that his voice could waver a lot when he was running around and shit, but overall I think the '02 voice might've actually been his most powerful. He was determined to one-up the old GNR. He did it with a kick ass band, a whole new look, and yes, his voice.

:rofl-lol:

I don't really think anything more than he's just getting older. He had a bit of a resurgence in 06, and to a minor level again in 2010. He's 50+ and singing songs meant to be sung by a 26 year old. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know thats gonna be difficult and know it won't sound the same as it used to at this point. He's getting older and he's losing his voice; thats not uncommon at all. In fact, its extremely common and there are just those handfuls of people like Steven Tyler and other hard rockers who genuinely still have a voice worth paying for at an advanced age.

I think you're exaggerating but...

02 > 11-14

02 > 11-14

IMO '02 = Late '11 (livestreams)

02 > 11-14

IMO '02 = Late '11 (livestreams)

IMO early '11 > '02. :shrugs:

and there are just those handfuls of people like Steven Tyler and other hard rockers who genuinely still have a voice worth paying for at an advanced age.

No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about n regard to Steven Tyler.