Axl's intentions with '99 AFD

Bobbo

Vocals or not, I want this shit. Badly.

I'd take this over new songs written by the current band any day.

really?

I thought AFD bores the shit out of you

It would be bizarre to mock AFD but you want te rerecorded thing (because of Finck i assume)

This is pretty odd and laughable at the same time

AFD was cool when you're 12 :shrugs:

That's what you said earlier...

• Like 1

During the 2004 lawsuit, Slash and Duff's lawyers actually brought up the re-recording of 'Welcome to the Jungle' which Axl wanted for Black Hawk Down, that Axl was trying to con them out of their mechanical royalties. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Axl had some intention, at some stage, of replacing the original 1987 album with the 1999 re-recording a la Ozzy Osbourne (wiping Daisley/Kerslake's tracks on the 2002 reissue of Blizzard of Oz); of course, it is one of those ideas a lawyer would recomend against!

Plus, there wouldn't be a market for it in terms of sync rights for films. With Black Hawk Down and other movies that would want to use WTTJ, in a lot of cases they'd want it because they want a song that defines that era; they don't want a modern re-recording (the only case I can think of with a period film going with re-recordings is with The Wrestler and the Ratt songs being covers by the ex-lead singer Stephen Pearcy).

Yes, (movie producer) ''I do not remember Rocket Queen having an Industrial beat? And why does Slash sound so out of key?''

really?

It would be bizarre to mock AFD but you want te rerecorded thing (because of Finck i assume)

AFD does bore the shit out of me. However, the 1999 lineup of Guns N' Roses is the one that I am fascinated by the most. Vocally speaking Axl was at his best in 1999. And to hear studio material with Finck on soul lead, Josh Freese on drums and 99 Axl on vocals is pretty much my holy grail. It's also important to point out that I've said many times that the versions on AFD bored me. Not purely the songwriting. In short, I care more for the musicians on the 1999 version than the original, and I would love to hear something we haven't heard before.

I'm not sure why you're so obsessed with constantly telling me that my opinion's aren't valid, and I'm not a GNR fan. You can disagree with the things I say all you want, but it's not going to change anything. So...get over it?

• Like 1

really?

AFD does bore the shit out of me. However, the 1999 lineup of Guns N' Roses is the one that I am fascinated by the most. Vocally speaking Axl was at his best in 1999. And to hear studio material with Finck on soul lead, Josh Freese on drums and 99 Axl on vocals is pretty much my holy grail. It's also important to point out that I've said many times that the versions on AFD bored me. Not purely the songwriting. In short, I care more for the musicians on the 1999 version than the original, and I would love to hear something we haven't heard before.

I'm not sure why you're so obsessed with constantly telling me that my opinion's aren't valid, and I'm not a GNR fan. You can disagree with the things I say all you want, but it's not going to change anything. So...get over it?

This is insane. You prefer a band who did not play a single gig in their history and only released one shitty soundtrack song, over a band which wrote - emphasis on wrote - and recorded one of the greatest rock n' roll LPs ever and toured the hell out of it? Just insane. I cannot even get my head around this sort of thinking.

• Like 3

really?

This is insane. You prefer a band who did not play a single gig in their history and only released one shitty soundtrack song, over a band which wrote - emphasis on wrote - and recorded one of the greatest rock n' roll LPs ever and toured the hell out of it? Just insane. I cannot even get my head around this sort of thinking.

It would be akin to saying..."I find Led Zeppelin boring as shit, but I would love it if Robert Plant hired some musicians and re-recorded Led Zep I, therefore I am a Led Zep fan". It is tough to get your head around this sort of thinking.

really?

I too find AFD incredibly boring. Maybe I can get thru Nightrain, maybe. But that's it. To me, it has not aged well at all. Just god awful, cheesy lyrics. Lots of filler. And the hits I can't bear to listen to. They're stale and boring....to me.

And yes, as a teenager, it was cool. Now, not so much.

• Like 1

really?

I too find AFD incredibly boring. Maybe I can get thru Nightrain, maybe. But that's it. To me, it has not aged well at all. Just god awful, cheesy lyrics. Lots of filler. And the hits I can't bear to listen to. They're stale and boring....to me.

You do not prefer all of those pompous Illusion epics, do you?

really?

I prefer the band who wrote and played on the bulk of Chinese Democracy - my favorite album. And again, musician wise - outside of GNR, I prefer the 99 musicians, notably Robin and Josh.

really?

You do not prefer all of those pompous Illusion epics, do you?

no, I don't like anything on UYI 1 at all anymore

and I only like a handful of songs on UYI 2 at this point

but basically, I don't listen to any of their old stuff...I find it either boring, dated, overblown and/or cheesy

but basically, I don't listen to any of their old stuff...I find it either boring, dated, overblown and/or cheesy

You are running out of albums there! (You are not a Chinese Democracy man, are you?)

I prefer the band who wrote and played on the bulk of Chinese Democracy - my favorite album. And again, musician wise - outside of GNR, I prefer the 99 musicians, notably Robin and Josh.

But it is not the same band as the '1999' band. Josh Freese does not drum on Chinese Democracy, Buckethead gets more songwriting credits than Robin Finck and both Buckethead, Fortus and Bumblefoot are all over the record. Also, this is about Appetite. Now Robin butchers Slash - absolutely murders him. Finck simply could not play Slash. Finck does however perform some excellent solos on Chinese Democracy but he could never play Slash. Now imagine Appetite's solos with those offkey string bends of his? It scares me just thinking about it!

• Like 1

But it is not the same band as the '1999' band. Josh Freese does not drum on Chinese Democracy, Buckethead gets more songwriting credits than Robin Finck and both Buckethead, Fortus and Bumblefoot are all over the record.

The only GNR member who has songwriting credits on CD outside of the 1999 band is Buckethead. And we still have demos (which are better than the album version) with just the 1999 lineup.

Also, this is about Appetite.

Actually if you go back and read your own post, you'd see that you questioned my preference of the 1999 band over the "original" band. Limiting that discussion to an album that only one lineup had anything to do with the writing of (with the exception of one member) would make no sense.

Now Robin butchers Slash - absolutely murders him. Finck simply could not play Slash. Finck does however perform some excellent solos on Chinese Democracy but he could never play Slash. Now imagine Appetite's solos with those offkey string bends of his? It scares me just thinking about it!

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I completely disagree and prefer Robin's solos to Slash's for many AFD songs particularly SCOM and Mr. Brownstone.

Edited by Broskirose

Brain co-wrote Shackler's Revenge and Sorry.

Finck just plays Slash's solos - except badly, with all these out-of-key string bends and meandering passages which go nowhere. I do not understand why anyone would like that over the bona fide real deal. It is like prefering Steve Morse over Blackmore! I like Finck and wish we had more 'new songs' with him on, where his playing is rather good, but I have no interest in seeing him butcher my favourite hard rock album.

It would be interesting to hear at some point, but to me AFD 1999 should have been out if Axl had severed ties with Geffen Records and had gone to another record label, or took some of the songs and put them out as an EP in 2002 as a "get to know the band" promotion.

It was a huge mistake to try to circumvent Slash and Duff in movie money when he has no full ownership of the master tapes and has to share the publishing. It'll be interesting to find out what year the band is able to get the rights to the tapes. It might be decades from now, or in a few years. Every time a record deal is renegotiated, owning the masters could get pushed further and further back.

You are running out of albums there! (You are not a Chinese Democracy man, are you?)

But it is not the same band as the '1999' band. Josh Freese does not drum on Chinese Democracy, Buckethead gets more songwriting credits than Robin Finck and both Buckethead, Fortus and Bumblefoot are all over the record. Also, this is about Appetite. Now Robin butchers Slash - absolutely murders him. Finck simply could not play Slash. Finck does however perform some excellent solos on Chinese Democracy but he could never play Slash. Now imagine Appetite's solos with those offkey string bends of his? It scares me just thinking about it!

I like CD well enough but I am tired of that too.

I loved the band as a teenager and a young adult but just can't listen to them anymore for reasons already given

I have seen the error of my ways!!

Edited by axl666axl666

Vocally speaking Axl was at his best in 1999.

sorry, you totally lost it there.

He's probably 5 years past his best at that point, he's next best has to be 2006, power, rasp, cleans he had it all. and yeah he had a few bad shows too but he was on fire for the most part.

Vocally speaking Axl was at his best in 1999.

sorry, you totally lost it there.

How so?

Have you listened to the 3 1999 demos, Live Era and Big Daddy SCOM?

His rasp (I hate that word) was powerful and his cleans had an amazing delicacy to them that he hasn't been able to replicate since.