Axl's intentions with '99 AFD

Bobbo

Make that 2 soundtrack songs, a studio album full of vocals from that period, a live album full of re-recorded vocals, a leaked clip and the demos.

There is more than enough vocal work from that period to make a judgment about it. Not to mention the fact that the entire point is that I want to hear more from that year, hence the reason why I want to hear the re-recorded AFD.

So you think Axl's voice from '99 (e.g. the vocal dubs on Live Era) is better than Axl's voice during the AFD era?

Yes. No contest.

You're nuts.

The worst part of the rerecorded vocals imo is I can dig through my bootlegs and put together a live album that is better, with no overdubs. Sure the performances would lean heavy from the following shows; Ritz 88', Chicago 92, Paris 92, Argentina 93, but they would still be better than Live era. I'm sorry but most of the appetite era songs from live era are inferior to the Ritz counterparts. Obviously I would have to dig deeper for some songs, like Rocket Queen, but I still say a GREAT gnr live album can be made mostly from these 4 shows.

• Like 1

The worst part of the rerecorded vocals imo is I can dig through my bootlegs and put together a live album that is better, with no overdubs. Sure the performances would lean heavy from the following shows; Ritz 88', Chicago 92, Paris 92, Argentina 93, but they would still be better than Live era. I'm sorry but most of the appetite era songs from live era are inferior to the Ritz counterparts. Obviously I would have to dig deeper for some songs, like Rocket Queen, but I still say a GREAT gnr live album can be made mostly from these 4 shows.

Yup. Why no Civil War from Paris '92???!! Amazing performance.

• Like 1

Here's a sample of what the re-recorded AFD material would have sounded like. IMO both the vocals and guitar are vastly inferior to the original.

"...the initial part of the song features the near-original group (Axl Rose, Slash, Duff McKagan, Gilby Clarke, and Matt Sorum) recorded live at a concert in Paris. More than halfway through that rendition, the new band - presumably Rose, guitarists Robin Finck and Paul Huge, drummer Josh Freese, bassist Tommy Stinson, and keyboardist Dizzy Reed - kicks in with tracks of the same song recently recorded in the studio. The tune's intro also includes a voice repeating the word, "Figaro," which was a last-minute addition "for fun," courtesy of Rose." (source = Chinese Whispers)

Edited by foghat43