US Economic Recovery

magisme

Whats it mean, young americans ain't gettin no jobs?

Exactly. And older people are having to go back to work. So the popular myth that labor force participation is plummeting because baby boomers are retiring en masse is exactly that, a myth.

Be careful with "growth." It doesn't always mean what you think it means.

Guest Len B'stard

"We can speak of pollution in terms of the historical pollution of fascism, the historical pollution of war, the historical pollution of hunger in the world, the historical pollution of murder, the historical pollution that we people -- poor, oppressed people -- in this world all over have been subjected to for too many years. That pollution is the basis of the pollution of the nature, the world, the universe. The only solution to pollution is a people's humane revolution." ~ Bobby Seale

You know I couldn't give a damn about political parties. I'm not taking a shot at Obama any more than anyone else. It's more about the direction the entire world is moving in. It's systemic, not dependent on Republicans or Democrats. They're all finger puppets on the same hand. So yes, Reagan put the financialization of the economy into overdrive. And then Bush I and Clinton and Bush 2 and Obama followed suit. And the chart shows what has happened in a broad brushstroke.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Huh? That chart shows 20-24 are doing hella lot better than 16-19 year olds, who are doing a hella lot better than the 25-54 group which is by far the largest.

And without specifics, it's likely all the numbers have been manipulated to achieve the required results. At the very least the size of the age ranges should be consistent.

I don't think you're looking at the color key correctly.

I hate the way the world works. Unless you're a professional footballer (and probably fairly fucking average), a sociopathic stock broker (willing to fuck absolutely anybody over for capital), a Hollywood "actor" (yeah, Keanu Reeves is definitely an inspiring thespian *insert blatant sarcasm here*) or a member of the music industry (the music Justin Bieber creates justifies the lifestyle he is able to lead... fuck right off!); prepare to work your balls off for a system that will inevitably screw you over at various points in your life.

Fuck it.

I hate the way the world works. Unless you're a professional footballer (and probably fairly fucking average), a sociopathic stock broker (willing to fuck absolutely anybody over for capital), a Hollywood "actor" (yeah, Keanu Reeves is definitely an inspiring thespian *insert blatant sarcasm here*) or a member of the music industry (the music Justin Bieber creates justifies the lifestyle he is able to lead... fuck right off!); prepare to work your balls off for a system that will inevitably screw you over at various points in your life.

Fuck it.

Life.

Exactly.

Huh? That chart shows 20-24 are doing hella lot better than 16-19 year olds, who are doing a hella lot better than the 25-54 group which is by far the largest.

And without specifics, it's likely all the numbers have been manipulated to achieve the required results. At the very least the size of the age ranges should be consistent.

I don't think you're looking at the color key correctly.

I see 55-69 as the best growth, 25-54 as the worst, and the other two groups in the middle. I don't think I'm colorblind ... yet. :lol:

OK. So where's the confusion? Any job growth has been absolutely dominated by senior citizen workers. Young people are getting fucked.

OK. So where's the confusion? Any job growth has been absolutely dominated by senior citizen workers. Young people are getting fucked.

It's still a very skewed statistic.

The main reason you see more growth in the older sector is because a higher % of them were unemployed beforehand vs. the other sectors.

To give you an idea: Over 85% of the 25-54 yearolds were already employed.....while only 65% of the 54-65 yearolds were..... ;)

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 2

And the 25-54 group isn't??

Yes. I should say the young and prime working age populations are getting screwed. The rest of the shit you guys are saying, I can't help you if you simply don't want to see what is plainly obvious.

BTW, it is all jobs. And if you want to get into the quality of jobs making up this growth, a disproportionate number are low wage, no security work. It's the shit work for old people "recovery."

And the 25-54 group isn't??

Yes. I should say the young and prime working age populations are getting screwed. The rest of the shit you guys are saying, I can't help you if you simply don't want to see what is plainly obvious.

BTW, it is all jobs. And if you want to get into the quality of jobs making up this growth, a disproportionate number are low wage, no security work. It's the shit work for old people "recovery."

Bro, I know you're a numbers guy and I don't necessarily disagree with your "overall" statement....but statistically, the reason you see greater growth in the older sector is because more of them are unemployed to begin with....and (like you said) they're probably more likely to take a "less paying" job than someone in the prime of their career is.

:shrugs:

Edited by Kasanova King

The overall point is that there has been a narrative pushed saying that sluggish job growth is the result of baby boomers' retiring in great numbers, and that the job numbers would be better if that weren't the case. That narrative is complete bullshit. It is the boomers who are getting shit jobs to supplement whatever social security or other scraps they have coming in as they watch their health care, energy and food bills skyrocket due to inflation that isn't happening according to official metrics. All the while, young people are losing jobs, prime working age people are losing jobs, and kids just out of college are fighting over the few pennies falling out of billionaires' pockets.

Bro, I know you're a numbers guy and I don't necessarily disagree with your "overall" statement....but statistically, the reason you see greater growth in the older sector is because more of them are unemployed to begin with....and (like you said) they're probably more likely to take a "less paying" job than someone in the prime of their career is.

... and they were probably forced out of their old job so they could be replaced with a younger worker at a much lower salary with much less vacation time.

Maybe one out of ten of them. The other nine jobs went overseas to workers with an even mucher lower salary and lol vacation.

• Like 2

... and they were probably forced out of their old job so they could be replaced with a younger worker at a much lower salary with much less vacation time.

Possibly. Many companies operate under that narrative....and just about as many don't...... :shrugs: Business is business. Some companies only look at the bottom line and some rather look at experience, skill and wisdom. To each his own.

• Like 1

Maybe one out of ten of them. The other nine jobs went overseas to workers with an even mucher lower salary and lol vacation.

and 5 of 10 lost half their 401k in the market.

That's one area where you strike home. And why did they go to those overseas workers?? Because we have completely unregulated trade and have let China run free.....I haven't seen this much madness since the wild west.

Agree 100%.

;)