Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?

IRanOutOfIdeas

Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's no question that Adler's drumming best fit the GNR sound. His termination from the band literally killed that original magic and they were never able to recover from it.

Do you think he could have handled songs like November Rain, Estranged, etc. (not saying those songs are hard, but if he'd have the right sound for them)? And I've always been curious to hear what he would have sounded like on YCBM, because Matt's drumming on that is unbelievable, shame there's no demos from when they wanted the song for AFD.

Sorum is my least favourite, just because I find his drum takes on UYI to be quite sterile. I like some of the idea's used on both albums but overall he just didn't do it for me. Adler just has this amazing energy and swing, but he lacks the ability to write the more progressive GnR drum parts.

I like Frank, he changes things around and makes it that bit more lively - I think he's a great drummer and more than likely a very good musical influence on Axl.

Frank is a great classic rock drummer, but he can also handle the more progressive styles with ease - I think he's the best drummer for the band, and In the VERY! unlikely event of a reunion I'd welcome Frank behind the kit.

Danny Carey from Tool rates him as a drummer, that says it all!

I'm talking about the things people didn't like from him on UYI. That impotent tom fill on November Rain and etc was Axl's idea.

Yeah, there's a tweet from Matt about that, where some guy asks him why he plays the same parts over and over on NR and Estranged, Matt says it was Axl's idea, part of keeping it together thematically.

EDIT: hah, "some guy" was Mike Portnoy:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-guns-n-roses-drummer-matt-sorum-defends-his-november-rain-performance/

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

Often live, when I hear Sorum, he has this plodding, monotonous feel on some of the songs, particularly the AFD era songs and the more rockin songs. Regardless of him being relegated to a boring timekeeper and playing what he was told, like Izzy said: "Adler's drumming made the band, he made a big musical difference, his sense of swing was the push and pull that gave the songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."

• Like 1

Adler's probably the worst drummer, but he was the perfect fit for the AFD lineup. Ferrer's competent, I have nothing really *bad* to say about him, but up against the other choices in terms of ability and "fit", he probably comes up short.

Also, I'm one of those guys that really likes Sorum.

• Like 1

No. Not my favorite, but not the worst. In my opinion (key word), Adler is the worst .

If being honest, the only reason the majority come to this conclusion is because they relate Steven's behavior/drug issues with the roll that he played in the band. The truth is, he was THE drummer for Guns N Roses because of his distinct percussion that no other has been able to replicate to this day. A lot of people are of the belief that a drummer and bassist are replaceable positions; you can change those members the easiest and still virtually have the same product. That may be true in many cases, but not at all true in Guns N Roses. There was a drastic change in the band's sound, regardless of the addition of a keyboardist, and that change was soley the result of Steven's departure.

Whether you feel that he is an unapologetic drug user, that's one thing. But there is absolutely no denying that his departure ended the real magic of GNR. His sense of swing and those timeless grooves have yet to be replicated properly regardless of which replacement you want to compare him against. Deep down, I believe that even Axl, to this day, would absolutely love to have a sober and healthy Steven Adler behind the drum kit. He had a extremely unique way of playing that contributed greatly to GNR's sound and he absolutely loved being part of the band that he played in. If the ever play Vegas again, and I'm almost certain that they will, I would love to see Steven share the stage with Axl, especially on Mr. Brownstone and Rocket Queen. It's been decades since either of those 2 songs have been given the justice that they deserve, imo.

Edited by The GIow Inc.
  • Like 1

Besides Adler, Brain is the only other drummer GNR has had (in a live setting) that I would say I actually liked.

Matt is fine on the albums he played on, some embarrassing live performances though (UYI Tokyo drum solo...I rest my case)

I love Sorum's drum solo :lol: