RIP Harold Ramis - writer/director behind Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, Stripes

I have a major rant here, so bear with me all...

Ghostbusters is my favorite movie ever made. I love it just as much as I love gnr, zeppelin, music in general. Bill Murray will always be my favorite Ghostbuster, but now that Harold died, I completly blame Murray for never getting Ghostbusters 3. I don't even care what his reasons were, when those individuals made that movie they made something timeless. Why any artists for any reason doesn't embrace the beautiful thing they created is beyond me. I think it's plain selfish. You owe it to the people that love that piece of work to guard it with the up most respect. It doesn't have to be your personal favorite, or even the thing you are most known for, but it still deserves your embrace. And that's part of why we fans got robbed of GB3, Murray didn't respect what those guys did when they created that world. In Bill's mind, It was just something that he did in order to open new doors. Which good for him. But how many doors did he get opend because he had SO many Ghostbusters fans? I would dare say most of this thread. He dragged his feet so long about GB3, that now it's dead. And even if Sony decides to rape the franchise and remake it, the magic is just GONE. Harold wanted it, Ivan wanted it, Sony wanted it, and we know Dan wanted it. Murray screwed us. His fued with Ramis was a BIG part in all of this, now look at it. You fueded with your friend, I hope it was worth it Bill....

What is even more rediculous is this mirrors something all of gnr fans can relate to. A gnr reunion would seem a little hallow if Izzy or Duff were dead wouldn't it? Well Harold Ramis was the Izzy of Ghostbusters....

I didn't think it was possible for there to be a human more evil than Slash. But I stand corrected. Bill Murray is in league with Satan himself

lol, that's funny. But I would say that Axl is more like Bill. I think Slash would do a reunion, at least for the fans. Axl on the other hand....

But sorry, back to the topic at hand.

I always wished we could see the unused footage from "Caddyshack". Harold said they had enough film to make a 4 hour movie, but that wasn't gonna make it. Can't have a 4 hour comedy. Unfortunately all that extra stuff is gone. Nowadays, they save everything for the special release DVD, etc.. But back then, VCR's weren't the rage, yet. VCR's were just starting to come out.

Ghostbusters is my favorite movie ever made. I love it just as much as I love gnr, zeppelin, music in general. Bill Murray will always be my favorite Ghostbuster, but now that Harold died, I completly blame Murray for never getting Ghostbusters 3. I don't even care what his reasons were, when those individuals made that movie they made something timeless. Why any artists for any reason doesn't embrace the beautiful thing they created is beyond me. I think it's plain selfish. You owe it to the people that love that piece of work to guard it with the up most respect. It doesn't have to be your personal favorite, or even the thing you are most known for, but it still deserves your embrace. And that's part of why we fans got robbed of GB3, Murray didn't respect what those guys did when they created that world. In Bill's mind, It was just something that he did in order to open new doors. Which good for him. But how many doors did he get opend because he had SO many Ghostbusters fans? I would dare say most of this thread. He dragged his feet so long about GB3, that now it's dead. And even if Sony decides to rape the franchise and remake it, the magic is just GONE. Harold wanted it, Ivan wanted it, Sony wanted it, and we know Dan wanted it. Murray screwed us. His fued with Ramis was a BIG part in all of this, now look at it. You fueded with your friend, I hope it was worth it Bill....

What is even more rediculous is this mirrors something all of gnr fans can relate to. A gnr reunion would seem a little hallow if Izzy or Duff were dead wouldn't it? Well Harold Ramis was the Izzy of Ghostbusters....

Bill didn't respect the legacy? His reasoning was that the second film sucked (looking back, some fans like it now, but upon release, it was considered a huge disappointment - kind of a Hangover II affair where it was the same thing as the first film recycled and rushed out for quick profit), and he didn't see a point in making a third film. He said the script didn't impress him, and he wasn't impressed by the other work the screenwriters had done (the same guys who wrote Year Zero, Ramis' last film, which scored abysmal reviews and flopped at the box office).

Murray, if anything, was respecting the fans by not caving in for a fat paycheck and churning out something that was, by all accounts, an attempt by the studio at handing down the series to a new cast of younger actors. Aykyroyd was only so invested in the movie because he's got nothing else going on with his career -- unlike Murray he never had a second act as a great dramatic actor, so of course he wanted another Ghostbusters movie.

Also, this isn't common knowledge, but Ramis and Murray had a falling out on the set of Groundhog Day and never spoke to each other since (unless that changed in the last few years since Ramis did a New Yorker interview). So not only was there no creative reason to continue the franchise for Murray, but no personal incentive either.

It was a wise move on his part. We'll probably still get some kind of reboot eventually, regardless of his participation.

Bill didn't respect the legacy? His reasoning was that the second film sucked (looking back, some fans like it now, but upon release, it was considered a huge disappointment - kind of a Hangover II affair where it was the same thing as the first film recycled and rushed out for quick profit), and he didn't see a point in making a third film. He said the script didn't impress him, and he wasn't impressed by the other work the screenwriters had done (the same guys who wrote Year Zero, Ramis' last film, which scored abysmal reviews and flopped at the box office).

Murray, if anything, was respecting the fans by not caving in for a fat paycheck and churning out something that was, by all accounts, an attempt by the studio at handing down the series to a new cast of younger actors. Aykyroyd was only so invested in the movie because he's got nothing else going on with his career -- unlike Murray he never had a second act as a great dramatic actor, so of course he wanted another Ghostbusters movie.

Also, this isn't common knowledge, but Ramis and Murray had a falling out on the set of Groundhog Day and never spoke to each other since (unless that changed in the last few years since Ramis did a New Yorker interview). So not only was there no creative reason to continue the franchise for Murray, but no personal incentive either.

It was a wise move on his part. We'll probably still get some kind of reboot eventually, regardless of his participation.

Everything I said in my original post is my posistion as a diehard Ghostbusters fan, so I admit I am bias. I also feel that GB2 is better than Murray gives it credit, it's not near as good as the first, but the INTERPLAY between those guys is what made them great. And some of that is felt in the 2nd movie. That's why I'm pissed about this, Sony WILL redue Ghostbusters at some point, having the original cast was the only way it would be acceptable. But that hope is gone now. They will just flush the franchise down the drain now, just to make some cash. The kids may even like it, but it won't have the magic.

Besides Bill did Garfield. Really Garfield, but no Ghostbusters 3?

The video game was great, and it is the 3rd movie, I love it for that.

Edited by Mike420