Axl's voice on forthcoming DVD 2012

I don't see how they could possibly release this with him sounding like he actually sounded.

No way in hell.

We all have the 11.09.12 concert a mere 12 days prior, and its horrendous in spots. I would never ever release that as is.

Axl voice for the dvd? worst voice since 2001-2002 but if they choose one song here one song there, check the videos,there are a few decent performance,not you could be mine

These videos aren't from the show being released....

I have heard this floated before.

Are you suggesting that Axl sounds like dogshit at the shows all around this one, but for this one, somehow, he found the fountain of youth and sounds awesome?

The Residency got amazing reviews by those who attended. Did you attend and think he sounded like shit or are you basing your opinion from YouTube?

You've been to a decent number of shows, right? Let's just all admit it. When you're at the show, you can barely hear Axl most of the time. You don't know what the fuck he's really sounding like.

I don't see how they could possibly release this with him sounding like he actually sounded.

No way in hell.

We all have the 11.09.12 concert a mere 12 days prior, and its horrendous in spots. I would never ever release that as is.

Axl voice for the dvd? worst voice since 2001-2002 but if they choose one song here one song there, check the videos,there are a few decent performance,not you could be mine

Are you suggesting that Axl sounds like dogshit at the shows all around this one, but for this one, somehow, he found the fountain of youth and sounds awesome?

The Residency got amazing reviews by those who attended. Did you attend and think he sounded like shit or are you basing your opinion from YouTube?

You've been to a decent number of shows, right? Let's just all admit it. When you're at the show, you can barely hear Axl most of the time. You don't know what the fuck he's really sounding like.

At times yes (that goes with any concert). Interesting enough, the reviews from 2010 were all fairly negative but you YT clips show otherwise. I wonder if when Axl sounds good live it translate into a shitty recording and when he sounds bad live it translates into an amazing YT recording.

i'm also in favor of overdubs for Axls vocals even if it is wrong

and not rock n roll.

but i want to enjoy this thing without being irritated about how bad Axl 2012 sounds.

it's fake,yeah,but down the line,if this is the last GNR we will see in our lifetime

it's ok that it sounds good.

live like a suicide isn't live either like most know.

peter frampton comes alive(very famous live album in the US)isn't even the real thing.

i just hope this comes out and that i can buy it in a store or order it on amazon without hassles.

No way in hell.

Those videos are from the 12/30/11 gig - 11 months before the residency.

No way in hell.

Look, I don't want to get into another circular debate around Axl's voice.

I have no idea what he sounded like at the show they're releasing. All I can say is that he really was in great form the last two nights of the residency when I was there. And magisme, I went to 3 shows in Australia a few months later, and I thought he'd sounded better in Vegas, for the most part. I could easily tell the difference.

Ultimately I'm only speculating like you guys - but I don't think they're going to re-record the vocals, and I do think that there's a good chance his unedited vocals won't sound too bad either. We'll see.

• Like 1

I'd like re-recorded vocals for two reasons

1. I really don't buy into the whole "overdubs aren't rock n' roll" shit and consider the Live Era re-recorded vocals the best thing about that release

2. It means Axl was in a recording studio

Point 2 was my first thought also.

No way in hell.

At times yes (that goes with any concert). Interesting enough, the reviews from 2010 were all fairly negative but you YT clips show otherwise. I wonder if when Axl sounds good live it translate into a shitty recording and when he sounds bad live it translates into an amazing YT recording.

No. Like I said, you can't hear him for the most part, so when he sounded good live, he sounded good recorded, and vice versa. My interpretation of the different reviews? 2010 got bad reviews because they were comparing it to 2006, and the thought was that, maybe, this was still a legit band. Then Axl rolls out all fat, and Ashba is doing Hogan ears instead of Finck being awesome, and they're actually reducing the number of new songs they're playing, and it all seems a bit of a joke. By the time of the residency, pretty much everyone had accepted that Axl was riding the nostalgia train, and he was reviewed as such.

All that said, based on the trailer, with the exception of that LALD scream and some of PC, he sounds alright.

I think a bootleg of this gig is on Youtube and he sounded utterly awful. A professional mix is not going to make him sound good all of the sudden.

In my opinion, nobody should buy this so maybe they can get the message but I understand some of you want something even if it's bad, so whatever makes you happy.

Regarding overdubbing. If people could tell that Axl's voice was overdubbed in Live Era, they definitely will in this live footage. :shrugs:

I'm basing my opinion on a soundboard bootleg. Ain't no secrets there.

Give me the soundboard bootleg over "well, he sounded good when I was in the crowd full of screaming people" every day of the week.

The concert I am talking about is from 12 days before this show, 11.09.2012.

Call up 'There Was A Time' from that concert and make me a serious argument he sounds good. Come on now.

Come to think of it, I hope he overdubs it. It would be Axl himself sending us a direct message: "Yes guys, I know I sound awful".

Yeah, that's not a bad point, really.

Look, I'll be honest. If he comes out next month in the same poor voice I heard in 2012, I am highly unlikely to buy another ticket to see him.

The soundboard on that radio channel was good. And that was only a few days before.

Apart from There was a time but it was a good effort - he knows its challanging but he put it out there for all the nostalgic fans who love the song. Also they never played Twat on this show.

i dont think he will sound much better if he redub in studio,he better put some 2010 live vocals.

Btw,the trailer ......sweet child o mine sounds like shit,i think when we get the dvd we will see what we have seen the last 3 years.

Edited by rudolf1978

Sweet child sounded shit in 2010 and in 2006.

And it even sounded shite with rasp on UYI tour.

It only ever sounded good on the appetite tours.

Came on............is there anyone who think Axl sound great in vegas residence? I havent check videos for a while,but at the time i saw the same shit like the last 2 years.Singing really weak and with that strange falsetto.If he is going to sing songs like civil war like this,please make more albums with your new voice and forget the classics.

Give me the soundboard bootleg over "well, he sounded good when I was in the crowd full of screaming people" every day of the week.

Call up 'There Was A Time' from that concert and make me a serious argument he sounds good. Come on now.

My post was in reference to the half of your post quoting the videos. I agree he sounded awful on the XM broadcast.

But still, Axl has the ability to turn it on" and "turn it off" at will more than most other singers. Look at the UCAP tour - he sounded killer at The Ritza and Hiro Ballroom; 3 days before The Ritz he sounded awful at Terminal 5, and 3 days after Hiro he sounded awful in Chicago.

I had no issues hearing Axl at the Residency. I could hear even subtleties like when his breath support was better during the bulk of "Better" the first night I was there, but then became poorer during the last verse. I could hear the point during "Don't Cry" when he sings "and please remember" when he clearly (IMO) intentionally induces a raspier vocal tone.

So, I think the dismissiveness towards the opinions of those in attendance at the shows is flawed, at least when you apply it in a blanket sense.

Ali

• Like 1

At least its coming out. That alone is huge for GNR.

Easy, don't start celebrating just yet. ;)

On topic, I'm not really a fan of rerecorded parts on a "Live"-DVD/CD.

I also prefer "pure" performances. But the huge majority of live releases are studio doctored, to various degrees.

It baffles me that some of you would prefer a potato recording with a shit Axl on it because it's "not rock n' roll" to fix something up to sound good for an official release. Not surprising, just baffling.

It baffles me that some of you would prefer a potato recording with a shit Axl on it because it's "not rock n' roll" to fix something up to sound good for an official release. Not surprising, just baffling.

After RCHP tweet and calling the latest residency 'no trickery' it would seem a bit hypocritical if they dubbed his voice