Lets discuss some Beatles albums, starting with "Help!"...

Towelie

The+Beatles+-+Help!+-+7+Song+Radio+Sampl

This is easily one of my top 3 Beatles albums (probably just behind The White Album and Abbey Road) and I've always believed it to be vastly superior to Rubber Soul, which I tend to feel can be a little overrated when discussing their canon of work.

Songs like "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", "I've Just Seen A Face" and "I Need You" are some of their finest acoustic numbers with hooks for days. "Ticket To Ride", "Yesterday" and the title track are rightly three of their most beloved hits.

There isn't really a dud on the entire album, even Ringo's version of "Act Naturally" is pretty good.

Any other Beatles fans care to share their thoughts on this album??

Edited by Towelie

Guest Len B'stard

I think its a 10 out of 10 album, even though it was almost made to order it was still brilliant, the vocal melodies on You're Gonna Lose, the merry arrogance of Another Girl, obviously the massive singles, Yesterday is one of the most played songs of all time, i remember reading this stat that said if you were to add up all the times its been played on the radio back to back across the world it'd go on for a quarter of a century or some such madness.

I think its just brilliant and showed just how routinely brilliant they were as a band that even when they were just told, alright lads we got a weekend, bang out some songs and they worked out the bulk of an album, they were just so on fire at that point they had hits coming out of his arse.

Just going through what they did in 1965 is pretty staggering.

December 1964, the fans got "Beatles For Sale" and the Xmas single, so they're going into 1965 with songs like "I Feel Fine" and "I'm A Loser", they were still doing cover songs, but I think this would be the last one that would take up half the album. Still, a great album and the covers - "Honey Don't", "Rock N' Roll Music", "Kansas City" - are also great. "Beatles '65", the chopped up version, would be out in January.

February - US EP - "Honey Don't", "I'm A Loser", "Mr Moonlight", "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby", "Eight Days A Week" single. A lot of recording sessions from February to June - oh yeah, they started filming "Help" in February.

"The Early Beatles" came out in March, which was most of "Please Please Me"

March - appearance on "Thank Your Lucky Stars", 3 songs

April - "Ticket To Ride" in UK and US, and they wrap making "Help" (the movie). NME award appearance/performance.

"Beatles VI" - June. Noted for 2 songs that The Beatles specifically recorded for America, "Bad Boy" and "Dizzy Miss Lizzie", but they were songs taken from "Beatles For Sale", singles, and "Help".

June - BBC radio show, 7 songs, their last.

June - July - Europe tour, France, Italy and Spain, Lennon puts his "A Spaniard In The Works" book out.

July - "Help" single in UK and US

"Help" album and movie - August. US got the version with half a soundtrack, UK got a full album.

August - "Blackpool Night Out" TV special Stadium tour - Shea Stadium being the big one, but they only toured for 2 weeks, covering Toronto, San Diego, San Francisco, Hollywood Bowl in LA, and a few other places. They would get their first break at the end of this tour for a whopping six weeks. They'd also appear on "Ed Sullivan".

September - "Yesterday" single

Oct-Nov, recording sessions for "Rubber Soul".

"Rubber Soul" would close the year out, and the US would get "Yesterday and Today" in June 1966, which had a lot of songs excluded from the US version, as well as songs that would be out on "Revolver" in the UK.

November - "Music Of Lennon and McCartney" TV special

December - "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" (UK and US), and the fan club record.

They could have retired at the end of the year, just off the publishing, because a lot of songs were being covered of theirs by then. They recorded and released around 35 songs.

"Help!" has a kind of charm to it which I haven't found on any other Beatles record. I don't consider it a "masterpiece" like I do with most of their later albums, but it is still one of my favorites. Maybe even the one I've listened to the most. I guess it's because it is so pure/clean/honest - that sounds really gay, but I hope you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! Scrambled eggs! ;)

Oh my baby how i love your legs!

Guest Len B'stard

I guess it's because it is so pure/clean/honest - that sounds really gay, but I hope you know what I mean.

I think i do...you're asking me out, aren't you? :D

• Like 1

I prefer their early stuff than their later stuff. Up until, and including 1966, is my favourite period. The psychedelic period of Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour were more, Paul conceptual pieces. Lennon dropped out a bit in 1967 although the songs he did provide were magnificent. The long haired period (1968-70) saw Harrison peaking however Lennon-McCartney ceased to function and you really get just a bunch of solo songs on the White Album and Let it Be. Abbey Rd is the exception as Martin forced them to make a record 'the old way' and it is their most cohesive set of the whole, 1967-70 era. But I prefer the 1962-66 era overall.

I had all the Beatle albums and saw the 3 movies.

I was such a huge fan from the beginning and loved each album for it's difference and growth.

The Beatles were one of a kind and I think their music will live on forever.

So many awesome songs. They were so damn good.

I think its a 10 out of 10 album, even though it was almost made to order it was still brilliant, the vocal melodies on You're Gonna Lose, the merry arrogance of Another Girl, obviously the massive singles, Yesterday is one of the most played songs of all time, i remember reading this stat that said if you were to add up all the times its been played on the radio back to back across the world it'd go on for a quarter of a century or some such madness.

One thing that amazes me about them is the replay value of their songs. I have heard some of them I don't know how many times, and if one of them came on right now it would still make my foot tap. Even my favorite bands, as much as I love them, have some songs that I just don't really need to hear again. I don't usually get that feeling with Beatles songs.

Guest Len B'stard

Eight Days a Week....How did Lennon seriously think that song sucked?

Lyrically you can kinda see why he might when picking out of a bunch of songs because, on paper, its kinda ummm...it don't work as well on paper as it does when its played as a complete song. And the motif, the thing it hands around, the title idea of 8 days in a week, it's quirk if you will, it's a bit ummm...put it this way I could see how, when ruthlessly plowing through a set of songs to pick out which the best of the bunch are.

It is actually a brilliant song and with the benefit of hindsight and it's popularity ones perception can be sort of accentuated but as a standalone thing I could see how he might perhaps wanna let that one go. Goes to show even fat scousers can be wrong :lol:

Eight Days a Week....How did Lennon seriously think that song sucked?

Lyrically you can kinda see why he might when picking out of a bunch of songs because, on paper, its kinda ummm...it don't work as well on paper as it does when its played as a complete song. And the motif, the thing it hands around, the title idea of 8 days in a week, it's quirk if you will, it's a bit ummm...put it this way I could see how, when ruthlessly plowing through a set of songs to pick out which the best of the bunch are.

It is actually a brilliant song and with the benefit of hindsight and it's popularity ones perception can be sort of accentuated but as a standalone thing I could see how he might perhaps wanna let that one go. Goes to show even fat scousers can be wrong :lol:

A lot of times it was said in comparing what he was doing as a solo artist. Their throwaway songs they did in 15 minutes are still better than what a majority of people can take years to come up with. We know the story of the Stones being locked in a room to write their first song, but they progressed pretty fast once Mick and Keith figured out how to do it. Hunter Thompson said the one or two songs he collaborated with people on, were like writing headlines to him.