Be Careful What You Post on Facebook...It Could End Up Costing You $80,000.00

Ace Nova

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/02/us/facebook-post-costs-father/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Girl costs father $80,000 with 'SUCK IT' Facebook post

(CNN) -- The former head of a private preparatory school in Miami, Florida is out an $80,000 discrimination settlement after his daughter boasted about it on Facebook.

Patrick Snay, 69 -- the former head of Guillver Preparatory School -- filed an age discrimination complaint when his 2010-11 contract wasn't renewed.

In November 2011, the school and Snay came to an agreement in which Snay would be paid $10,000 in back pay, and an $80,000 settlement. Gulliver Schools also agreed to cut Snay's attorneys a check for $60,000.

But before the ink could dry on the deal, Snay's daughter took to Facebook, boasting, "Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver. Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT."

Snay's daughter blasted the message to her 1,200 Facebook followers, which included many current and former Gulliver students. Word of the post spread like wildfire back to school officials.

Within a few days, Gulliver Schools sent a letter to Snay's attorneys stating that Snay had broken a confidentiality agreement and that he would not be receiving the $80,000 settlement.

The agreement stated that neither Snay nor his wife could speak about the settlement to anyone except for his attorneys and other professional advisers.

Snay filed a motion to enforce the settlement and won in a Circuit Court ruling. The school appealed.

A hearing was held to determine if his daughter's knowledge of the settlement and her Facebook post had violated the confidentiality agreement.

"What happened is that after settlement, my wife and I went in the parking lot, and we had to make some decisions on what we were going to tell my daughter. Because it's very important to understand that she was an intricate part of what was happening.

"She was retaliated against at Gulliver. So she knew we were going to some sort of mediation. She was very concerned about it. Because of what happened at Gulliver, she had quite a few psychological scars which forced me to put her into therapy.

"So there was a period of time that there was an unresolved enclosure for my wife and me. It was very important with her. We understood the confidentiality. So we knew what the restrictions were, yet we needed to tell her something," Snay explained in court documents.

Last week, the Third District Court of Appeal for the State of Florida agreed that Snay had, in fact, violated confidentiality and reversed the Circuit Court ruling.

It wrote: "Snay violated the agreement by doing exactly what he had promised not to do. His daughter then did precisely what the confidentiality agreement was designed to prevent, advertising to the Gulliver community that Snay had been successful in his age discrimination and retaliation case against the school.

"Based on the clear and unambiguous language of the parties' agreement and Snay's testimony confirming his breach of its terms, we reverse the order entered below granting the Snays' motion to enforce the agreement."

Snay is now the headmaster at Riviera Preparatory School in Coral Gables, Florida.

Talk about a Homer Simpson moment....

homer_simpson_doh.gif

So who's to blame here? The parents for telling their daughter or their daughter for posting it?

Always think before you post shit on Facebook. It's that simple. I've had a bit of a personal disagreement with a company that is in turn a customer of the company where I work. I've been furious throughout that situation a number of times. It's tempting to vent on Facebook about it. But I strongly doubt that my boss would like it if I posted things on facebook about how much I hate one of our customers. It's things like that you always need to keep in mind.

Also...1200 facebook "friends"

Fuckin LOL

Yeah...that's crazy...especially for a teenager....

A few years ago I "purged" my FB friends to only people that I actually know in real life....have met in person, etc....went from about 500-600 friends to around the 300 mark.....

Fuckin LOL

A few years ago I "purged" my FB friends to only people that I actually know in real life....have met in person, etc....went from about 500-600 friends to around the 300 mark.....

1,200 is not at all out of the ordinary for the people I know. I have around 500 or so, and that's on the lower side. 1,000+ is not at all uncommon. People friend anyone they've ever met, and even people they haven't met. Some people do it, I think, because they see a networking opportunity in that having many friends may benefit you if one day one of them is doing something of interest to you. But those who just friend everyone for no reason... I've never understood that.

Edited by OmarBradley

The daughter, absolutely the daughter. Fuck facebook, it's creating such an ignorant bunch of morons with no filter whatsoever.

Wouldn't say creating so much as enabling and giving a soapbox to them.

I used to think 1200 was crazy, then I see teenagers with tens of thousands of followers, because they repost links they find on 9gag, other people's Facebook feeds, tumblr, etc.

Every mediocrity gets its 15 minutes these days.

The daughter, absolutely the daughter. Fuck facebook, it's creating such an ignorant bunch of morons with no filter whatsoever.

Wouldn't say creating so much as enabling and giving a soapbox to them.

Yeah I agree with that, I think that's probably more along the lines of what AxlisOld meant, though I don't want to speak for him. But yeah, the culture that AxlisOld is referring to exists without Facebook, but Facebook enables it to expand its scope and effect.

Saw an interview with this guy Andrew Keen plugging his book "The Cult of the Amateur", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cult_of_the_Amateur, arguing that the Internet is promoting mediocrity and amateurism above professionalism. On the one hand I think he has a point to a certain extent, on the other hand I think he's trying to get contrarian brownie points. I think ultimately the mediocrities will come and fade (does anyone even remember Chocolate Rain?), but the true greats will be timeless. Bands like The Black Keys, Mumford & Sons, have eschewed chasing trends to focus instead on professionally crafting music. I'm not even a fan of Mumford & Sons but I can see they'll be remembered by far more people than Mosh or Rebecca Black or whoever is the current YouTube darling.

Bit of a rambling tangent, but I think I've made my point.

• Like 1

32783920-a0a3-11e3-8766-efc3a3c3f836_dan

Expensive private school: check
Shitty retail job: check
Obnoxious attitude: check
Attention whore: check

Love the Miley Cyrus face she is pulling. It has usurped the tramp stamp as the latest indicator of a worthless piece of trash. Probably the face she pulls when the load is flying towards her.

Fuckin LOL

1,200 is not at all out of the ordinary for the people I know. I have around 500 or so, and that's on the lower side. 1,000+ is not at all uncommon. People friend anyone they've ever met, and even people they haven't met. Some people do it, I think, because they see a networking opportunity in that having many friends may benefit you if one day one of them is doing something of interest to you. But those who just friend everyone for no reason... I've never understood that.

You've got 500, KK has 300...I have like 70.

I think I read about this last Friday.

lol

And a couple people hit the nail on the head. The internet gives people a platform to share their ideas, whereas in the old days, people kept that stuff amongst their friends. Unfortunately, people get caught up in thinking that their opinion deserves to be heard........because they have a 1000 FB friends or 1000 people following them on twitter.

Everyone should get rid of facebook. It's the worst.

I'd be with you on that were it not for the fact that I'm working on a website that relies on Facebook :lol: But it's OK, I just added Twitter functionality 2 minutes ago. Not that that's any better...

But yeah, I've been off Facebook since November, first month or so it seems weird being without it, but then it seems weird that everyone else is on it...

Edited by Amir

I'd delete facebook in the morning but it is a great networking tool. Apart from 10 close friends the rest of my contacts are people living all over the world. I've deleted all family/relations/co-workers/classmates

It is good for that, but these days I use Skype, you get the communication without all of the news feed and advertising rubbish. I'll be back on Facebook in a month or so out of necessity, but these past few months have been my most productive (apart from time wasted here, obviously).

32783920-a0a3-11e3-8766-efc3a3c3f836_dan

Expensive private school: check

Shitty retail job: check

Obnoxious attitude: check

Attention whore: check

Love the Miley Cyrus face she is pulling. It has usurped the tramp stamp as the latest indicator of a worthless piece of trash. Probably the face she pulls when the load is flying towards her.

awesome :lol: