GNR = WWE, Internet Forum Fans = Smarks

Gieven my username (on every board I am a member of) clearly I have some knowledge of that business.

Absoltuely a legit comparison here. The WWE absolutely loathes internet fandom. The fact that such people tend to be their most diehard supporters never registers. They shit on them constantly. See them as a nuisance, if not total losers.

Mick Foley summed it up best. Here is his paraphrased take on the matter :

"When you start a business, you hope that you will develop a loyal customer base that will support you. Every business wants that. Not ours. We have people that buy our merchandise, watch our TV shows, and buy a PPV every month. Do we call them good customers? No. They are 'stupid marks'. We seem to go out of our way to ridicule our most loyal customers and seemingly taunt them for their dedication to our product. It makes no sense."

Edited by D-GenerationX
  • Like 1

Gieven my username (on every board I am a member of) clearly I have some knowledge of that business.

Absoltuely a legit comparison here. The WWE absolutely loathes internet fandom. The fact that such people tend to be their most diehard supporters never registers. They shit on them constantly. See them as a nuisance, if not total losers.

"When you start a business, you hope that you will develop a loyal customer base that will support you. Every business wants that. Not ours. We have people that buy our merchandise, watch our TV shows, and buy a PPV every month. Do we call them good customers? No. They are 'stupid marks'. We seem to go out of our way to ridicule our most loyal customers and seemingly taunt them for their dedication to our product. It makes no sense."

Daniel Bryan will never be the face of the company no matter how much bitching is done on the internet :lol:

Daniel Bryan will never be the face of the company no matter how much bitching is done on the internet :lol:

No, but I think the plan for some time has been for Triple H to get his comeuppance at WM and Bryan to win the title.

Fans are too impatient in this particular case. They will often complain there are no long term builds or long term angles. That's what this is. Let it play out.

• Like 1

No, but I think the plan for some time has been for Triple H to get his comeuppance at WM and Bryan to win the title.

Fans are too impatient in this particular case. They will often complain there are no long term builds or long term angles. That's what this is. Let it play out.

If the "fans" knew what was best for business then are Cena's shirts been best sellers for so many years now? Do those fan's opinion mean nothing because a handful of internet dweebs think that their opinion is more valid?

If the "fans" knew what was best for business then are Cena's shirts been best sellers for so many years now? Do those fan's opinion mean nothing because a handful of internet dweebs think that their opinion is more valid?

Cena takes heat for how he is booked. Like Superman, who never loses. If the internet and a live weekly TV show was around in the late 80s, Hulk Hogan would have faced some of that same heat.

But look at the way you put the word fans in quotes. That's basically the entire point here. People that boo Cena are simply expressing a viewpoint they are tired of the same old shit.

Let's compare it to this band. If they come out next month with that same fucking setlist, people will complain. Are they also fans, only in quotation marks? No. They are true blue legit fans that can't freakin' believe they are being fed the same shit once again.

Cena takes heat for how he is booked. Like Superman, who never loses. If the internet and a live weekly TV show was around in the late 80s, Hulk Hogan would have faced some of that same heat.

But look at the way you put the word fans in quotes. That's basically the entire point here. People that boo Cena are simply expressing a viewpoint they are tired of the same old shit.

Let's compare it to this band. If they come out next month with that same fucking setlist, people will complain. Are they also fans, only in quotation marks? No. They are true blue legit fans that can't freakin' believe they are being fed the same shit once again.

Fans has the right to complain if they aren't happy about something. But when they complain about everything are they really still fans?

Cena's been getting boo'd for years. Didn't he lose almost every match in 2012 and let CM Punk take the main stage? I agree that he has it in him to give better matches and isn't booked properly (problem which many WWE athletes face). He needs to turn heel!

Fans has the right to complain if they aren't happy about something. But when they complain about everything are they really still fans?

Cena's been getting boo'd for years. Didn't he lose almost every match in 2012 and let CM Punk take the main stage? I agree that he has it in him to give better matches and isn't booked properly (problem which many WWE athletes face). He needs to turn heel!

No. In calendar years 2011, 2012, and 2013 clean losses he took in singles matches can be counted on one hand. Combined. Without using your thumb.

But get back to GNR. Obviously, there are qualifiers. A guy with "the last GNR gig was 7.17.93" in his sig...yeah, he is only sticking around to cupcake and complain. Ditto anyone else with a not even disguised anti-new band agenda. There people are what they are. One thing they are lost causes.

But take a guy like me. I "complain" that the current band has not written one note together in 8 years time. I "bitch" about the exact same setlist being trotted out time again. I "piss and moan" that Axl does not promote his work.

I'm not a fan? Of course I am. If I were not, I wouldn't take the time to give a shit any longer. I am speaking out of frustration and hope things might mprove.

• Like 2

the butthurt internet fans Mick is speaking of should just chalk it up as kayfabe on the part of the WWE. Then, it's all just in good fun.

the butthurt internet fans Mick is speaking of should just chalk it up as kayfabe on the part of the WWE. Then, it's all just in good fun.

Oh,, totally disagree. Their disdain of "people in their parent's basement" that "never worked in the business" is not all some act.

This is not to say the fans have all the answers, of course.

Much like with our band here. And just like Vince, Team Brazil will also adopt a "what the hell do you know anyway" type of a mindset.

Oh,, totally disagree. Their disdain of "people in their parent's basement" that "never worked in the business" is not all some act.

Much like with our band here. And just like Vince, Team Brazil will also adopt a "what the hell do you know anyway" type of a mindset.

WWE stock is at an all-time high (or close to) isn't it? Maybe they do know what's good for business...

WWE stock is at an all-time high (or close to) isn't it? Maybe they do know what's good for business...

Their stock blows my mind.

You read about how shit WWE is on the internet but in real life they are one of the biggest most successful companies in the world.

• Like 1

Two of my boys are obsessed with WWE. I have no understanding of how it works (other than forking out for crappy plastic dolls that keep losing arms and legs). Can someone explain the premise to me? Is it classed as sport?

Sports Entertainment.

They are athletes and perfomers - no differnet that the circus or ballet. I love it though!

Is it classed as sport?

It's classed as "sports entertainment". It's basically just like a live action movie. Everything is pre-planned and scripted, but it's portrayed as reality.

Edited by NGOG

Two of my boys are obsessed with WWE. I have no understanding of how it works (other than forking out for crappy plastic dolls that keep losing arms and legs). Can someone explain the premise to me? Is it classed as sport?

No. It is not classified as sport to avoid having to regulated by certain commissions.

Outcomes of matches are pre-determined. So its "fake". Think of it like watching an action movie. No, Bray Wyatt did not really beat up John Cena. But guess what? Bruce Willis didn't really rescue hostages at Nakatomi Tower either.

I find the idea of scripted reality a weird concept but it certainly hooks people in and makes money. I hate my sofa cushions being turned into an arena and the fact one child or another is always slam dunking something!

Perhaps GnR has always been a genius case of scripted reality. That would be an interesting concept.

I find the idea of scripted reality a weird concept but it certainly hooks people in and makes money. I hate my sofa cushions being turned into an arena and the fact one child or another is always slam dunking something!

Perhaps GnR has always been a genius case of scripted reality. That would be an interesting concept.

I've made that exact joke to my brother. That maybe Axl is really a super nice guy that chooses to portray himself in public as a dickhead heel.

The parallel's to how GN'R and GN'R Management feels about us fans are quite funny.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/3/4/5468468/wwe-pro-wrestling-stories-creative

The resemblance is striking, good call! :lol:

In fairness, even Vince McMahon has never been able to keep his head up his own ass as long as Team Complaints has. -_-

And, despite being out of touch with his audience at times, Vince is a great businessman and a billionaire. Team Complaints just has no fucking clue what they're doing, what they want to do or how they should do it.

Edited by username

I don't know that much about WWE, but what's the deal with John Cena? Every WWE fan I meet seems to hate him and/or think he should turn heel, yet he seems to bring in tons of money for them. Are the haters just more vocal than his supporters?

We once had a talented young guy buried in the lightweight division. A few of our younger staffers were convinced he was destined to be an accessible, new media savvy star. Instead of wearing fanny packs and talking about the 'roided-out 80s on FM radio to promote a weekend house show, this kid could speak intelligently on video games to web sites and bloggers and introduce the company to the next generation. And he was fire in the ring. The kid could bump, yet he and most of the guys his age were all but ignored by the company.

His ring name was Chris, so one day I got the gumption to ask Creative what, if anything, they had planned for Chris.

Who are they talking about?

Edited by luciusfunk