When should the GNR name and brand have been retired?

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

After Slash left really. It's guitar-based rock music right, so the most clearly apparent creative entities are the singer and the guitar player and whoever writes the shit. So they lost a lot when they lost Izzy but it could still SOUND like Guns a bit, the drumming on GnR has always been a bit suspect so they're kinda by the wayside (although Popcorn was essential for Appetite type songs but if I'm not mistaken they weren't even interested in making that kind of music after Appetite anyway) so when Slash is gone, in a straight-ahead audio sense they don't sound like GnR no more, so fuck it, jack it in. Just as if Axl had left at any point they should've all jacked it in.

Izzy leaving to me was detrimental but in terms of the SOUND you could maybe do something without Izzy or draft in another rhythm supremo/songwriter (which they didn't appear to try and do) but Axl and Slash and key to the iconography, the sound, the attitude, the character of the band really, without one or the other it's like The Stones losing Mick or Keef. Not that they could stand to lose Charlie cuz they can't but then The Stones, to me, were always more a complete musical unit than Guns who were always changing not cuz of natural evolution but because they were always fuckin' with the ingredients in the GnR recipe, i don't think they ever got a chance to really consolidate their sound let alone allow it to evolve under a stable unit.

But this is just how i feel personally, i have nothing against Axl carrying on if he so chooses.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

For me it should have been retired after Duff left, with him being the only other original member and any chance of the old band (Slash or Izzy) re-joining and GN'R then became Axls solo project.

edit - 100 posts and probably the first time I've written 'Axls solo project', truth hurts :(

Edited by robin2002

The band did some reall good shit after Izzy left. That wasn't the end of things at all.

Without Slash? Time for the big dirt nap.

I remember seeing on MTV news in 1996 that Slash had left the "band." What band is there without him? Sad day.

It's never been the same either. I've enjoyed Axl's solo project, but I really wish it had just been named Axl's solo project, so that they could have had a proper reunion under the real name one day.

Oh well. Not in this lifetime.

• Like 1

Chinese Democracy, to me, is what Guns N' Roses would have sounded like in the 2000's. I'm fine with Axl carrying on the legacy/name/brand, but I am disappointed at the lack of material he has released while doing so. They've put on a lot of great shows over the years and I feel they've had chance after chance to strike while the iron was hot and momentum was built, to release albums/LP's to generate a lot more media curiosity and hype. I recently re-read Kurt Loder's Rock In Rio III review and for someone that wasn't listening to Guns back then, it's pretty evident that if an album dropped around that time it would have been huge. Again, that's my opinion.

Hearing Goin' Down was refreshing. It sounds fantastic with a real great vibe and Axl's backing vocals are spot on. I wish we'd have more stuff like that and I hope that in the near future we get the rest of this material that they tease us with.

• Like 1

Never. Its one of the most recognizable names in rock.

Did any of you ever take even an intro level business class?

Yes I did. Remember what happened when Coke came out with the "New Coke"? It was a fucking disaster, and it was replaced with the original. The same results as nuGnR, without being replaced by the original.

• Like 1

Never. Its one of the most recognizable names in rock.

Did any of you ever take even an intro level business class?

Yes I did. Remember what happened when Coke came out with the "New Coke"? It was a fucking disaster, and it was replaced with the original. The same results as nuGnR, without being replaced by the original.

Ah, but Axl didn't call this "New GNR", did he?

In fact, many of the bitter reuinionist types list that as one of the biggest beefs. He doesn't differentiate and is somehow "fooling" people.

Look, at this level, music is a business. Its not spiritual, its not a religious experience, its a freakin' rock band. And its in the business of making money. If you aren't, then don't sign with a label. Keep performing in coffee houses and sell your shitty homemade CDs out of your trunk. Keep it real and all that.

At the level of a Guns N' Roses, this is big business. Only a complete moron would sign that away. I have long argued that two morons did. I am not one of those guys that hates anyone that was ever in this band, but on this particular issue, Slash and Duff were fools.

• Like 2

After Slash left. Well said sugaraylen.

But in hindsight they should have put GN'R on ice after the UYI tour in 1993. "On ice" until the AFD lineup (perhaps less Adler) sorted themselves out to be able to work together and make kick ass music again!

After Slash left. Definitely.

I will always say that nuGuns had potential, though. Buckethead, Finck, Freese, Brain, great group of musicians performing new songs written by them at their first official show in Rio 2001. How cool is that? Axl, with a different somewhat awful voice but with the intention of doing things right.

I think Izzy leaving was the begining of the end. But they were on tour and the biggest band in the world. So I´m not sure they could cancel the whole thing just like that at the time, with the UYI albums at the top of the charts. Besides the high demand for their shows all over the world. And it ended up being a long agony.

I think Izzy leaving was the begining of the end. But they were on tour and the biggest band in the world. So I´m not sure they could cancel the whole thing just like that at the time, with the UYI albums at the top of the charts. Besides the high demand for their shows all over the world. And it ended up being a long agony.

Agreed.

I think if Axl retires the name and just goes out as Axl Rose, he would get more respect and maybe some fans would stop bitching about a reunion.

I don't blame Axl for wanting to keep the name. Any dvd I watch about GNR, everyone agrees that if it wasn't for Axl Rose the band wouldn't have reached the status that it did, so I think Axl is and always will be Guns N Roses.

If Axl wanted to perform as a solo act, I don't think anything would stop him from doing it, but he wants to keep GNR alive and after seeing them 3 times, I believe he has done it.

The band did some reall good shit after Izzy left. That wasn't the end of things at all.

Like what? A tour and a fucking shit covers album? Take off the goggles.

In hindsight I shouldn't have voted Duff. The whole GNR situation reminds me of how the Clash fell apart; you can keep the bassist but when you loose the guitarist it's just not the same.

You could tell the band slowly degraded with every member of the classic lineup exiting, but in my opinion they could still pull on. I think Steven leaving was a hard blow, but I like Matt (So superior to Frank) and I think people on this forum give him way too much shit. The UYI albums may have a lot of filler, but there's a great album floating around in it.

As for Izzy, his songwriting is irreplaceable and I'm just now beginning to realize how well he jelled with Slash. That being said though, I always felt like he was never a good fit for Matt (Or any of the overblown crap that defined the UYI tour). I've always had a lot of respect for Gilby and I think he was a great fit for Matt, Slash and the rest of the band. They were still able to pull off some wonderful shows and I really think they could have pulled a great back-to-the-roots rock album after TSI (Which is for the most part a shit album but it does have its points).

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas

I think if Axl retires the name and just goes out as Axl Rose, he would get more respect and maybe some fans would stop bitching about a reunion.

I don't blame Axl for wanting to keep the name. Any dvd I watch about GNR, everyone agrees that if it wasn't for Axl Rose the band wouldn't have reached the status that it did, so I think Axl is and always will be Guns N Roses.

If Axl wanted to perform as a solo act, I don't think anything would stop him from doing it, but he wants to keep GNR alive and after seeing them 3 times, I believe he has done it.

Do you like the current version of GnR better than the version that had Slash/Duff/Izzy in it?

Without those guys, GnR hasn't reach the status that it did with the original members. Axl is the only common denominator.

If Axl "is" GnR and the reason (according to your DVD collection) that GnR was so successful, how do you explain the last 20 years?

All I'm saying is Axl was the one who was most aggressive in wanting a record deal and wanting more.

Most of the people who knew Slash said he was laid back and shy.

Izzy was the same way. Izzy left GNR because he didn't want the band to get so famous.

Whatever the reasons, the original members are gone. I think Axl has done well for himself over the past 20 years and so have the other members especially with still getting royalty checks from GNR stuff.

I don't think any version of GNR will ever be as big as the original members because it was the right time and place for them to meet up and become GNR. Sometimes things only happen once in your lifetime and I think the original members of GNR were a one time thing. Even with Matt and Gilby it wasn't the same as with Steven and Izzy.

I'm sad to not have seen the original band back then, but I'm grateful that Axl has decided to continue with the GNR name and yes I've seen them 3 times in the last 4 years and I loved them. I think Axl has picked a great bunch of musicians and they all look happy and content onstage. Axl is having fun with these guys, so I think that means something good.

I lived to the breakup of the Beatles, but was grateful when they all continued to make music. Was it the same no, but they all showed how talented each of them were and I think that's how the original members are too. They've gone on to other things and seem happy. So why would any of them want to re-join a band that made them all crazy on drugs or unhappy?

Do you like the current version of GnR better than the version that had Slash/Duff/Izzy in it?

Without those guys, GnR hasn't reach the status that it did with the original members. Axl is the only common denominator.

If Axl "is" GnR and the reason (according to your DVD collection) that GnR was so successful, how do you explain the last 20 years?

I think that even without the other guys the Axl of the 80s and early 90s would have still been massively successful. The later Axl though probably wouldn't have been even with them.