BREAKING: Mick Jagger girlfriend L'Wren Scott found hanged in her New York apartment

UK SUBS

Perhaps, NGOG, you'll want to have a little more life experience before you go making blanket statements about everyone who has ever suffered depression.

Which blanket statement?

I resent your ageist notion that only middle-aged people can say they have experienced depression.

You have gone on and on with your righteous condemnation of people who chose to attempt to or successfully commit suicide. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before passing judgement on their actions. I didn't say a thing about middle-aged people, as I am not yet close to being middle-aged myself. I think you are young and naive to think everything is cut and dry. Some people can't just deal with it.

Where have I condemned committing suicide? I merely pointed out how short-sighted it is. Why is it so difficult to make a specific point instead of throwing out random rhetoric?

I don't think you have any idea what I've went through in life so please refrain from patronizing me. I don't need to walk in anybody's shoes to understand dark places the mind can go. Likewise, I know how possible it is to see your consciousness in wider terms, and keep living.

Guest Len B'stard

Perhaps, NGOG, you'll want to have a little more life experience before you go making blanket statements about everyone who has ever suffered depression.

Which blanket statement?

I resent your ageist notion that only middle-aged people can say they have experienced depression.

You have gone on and on with your righteous condemnation of people who chose to attempt to or successfully commit suicide. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before passing judgement on their actions. I didn't say a thing about middle-aged people, as I am not yet close to being middle-aged myself. I think you are young and naive to think everything is cut and dry. Some people can't just deal with it.

I think of him more as a hard-nosed Irish shit-kicker that sees life for the routinely beautiful series of cycles that it is. He might sound a bit unforgiving in his assessment but what he is saying is fundamentally accurate.
In a perfect world, sure. But this isn't Utopia. Life is a series of events that may be good and may be bad. Tell a homeless vet with debilitating PTSD that he should just get over it. Sometimes, the weight of the world is too heavy for you to get off your knees. My heart goes out to those people. I am thankful that I have risen from the ashes as many times as I have but not everyone is a stubborn as I am.

Oh definitely, depression is a serious illness and it's easy for me to sit on my rapidly flattening brown arse and go 'oh well they should just snap out of it' but thats the point, they can't snap out of it anymore than a person with a broken leg and get up and Riverdance, thats the point, it's an illness but at the same time, the essence of NGOGs point is that life is a beautiful thing and you must never ever ever ever under any circumstances give up on it.

He's not (or doesn't appear to be) saying that depression ain't shit but like…look, whats the difference between any number of depressed people, millions of em in the world, our own friends, families, neighbours, co-workers, people we talk to online and the L'Wrens and Cobains of this world? It's a choice isn't it, that one choice in that one moment, to pull a trigger or down those pills or step off the platform with a scarf around your neck? NGOGs point appears to be 'don't do that', that bit, that act…i didn't take his post to be making light of depression or the extents it can reach…but we're all empowered with a will, thats an extreme and very final act and it's not an impossible one to kick back against, even for the depressed. The only thing with that is the people that step away from the ledge don't get the outpouring of empathy that those that plummet to the death do.

Which blanket statement?

Where have I condemned committing suicide? I merely pointed out how short-sighted it is. Why is it so difficult to make a specific point instead of throwing out random rhetoric?

I don't think you have any idea what I've went through in life so please refrain from patronizing me. I don't need to walk in anybody's shoes to understand dark places the mind can go. Likewise, I know how possible it is to see your consciousness in wider terms, and keep living.

Ugh, i was answering for you, could you not've waited? :rolleyes::lol:

Perhaps though it's a sliding scale and everyone has a different tipping point. I agree it's tragic for those left behind but neither can I condemn people who for whatever reason felt they had no other way out.

Again, I've had several unfortunate experiences that you could deem 'a tipping point'. Very few haven't. The point is, there's always life beyond it. Concsiousness can be so hurtful, but why throw it away for good?

I never said I was condeming this lady for commiting suicide. I just said that I can't feign sadness for somebody that isn't lying starving with flies surrounding their bodies. She may have her problems, but they are extremely minimal in the context of humanity's suffering.

I can see you're looking at the bigger picture, outside the box so to speak. Someone who commits suicide doesn't have the capacity in that moment to think of the devastation they leave behind because if they did they wouldn't do it. They are so tormented they just don't want to live any more, have nothing to live for and want an end.

We had a celebrity hang herself a few weeks ago, beautiful model, seemed to have everything but had demons (and internet cupcakes) she fought and lost that battle. She had it all planned out yet was on tv the morning before, it's awful watching her on that video knowing what she was planning. It shows money and beauty isn't everything.

What a shame. I heard Mick is very broken up by her death, which makes sense. It's so hard to lose people you love. It just sucks. No other words needed.

I just saw him on tv last night getting off a plane as they're touring Australia. I've never heard of this woman & didn't even know he had a girlfriend, never gave it any thought. Just thought what a great concert they'd put on. Who knows what goes on in people's minds.

It seemed more than warranted to me. Depression is the most insidious, manipulative disease imaginable, it turns your mind, thoughts and emotions against you. Anyone who manages to end their own life, which is an act that goes against our fundamental wiring for survival, is in the throes of a devestating mental illness at it's most severe. Not selfish, or ungrateful, etc.

Do you know me? If you read my posts, you would know that I don't need depression explained to me. It's not a disease, it's an affliction of developed conciousness. In other words, unlike terminal cancer, you don't have to suffer from it your entire life. It's something you can see through.
Sorry to say this but I think you do. If you think you think you can understand someone else from your own experiences about something like depression, that's a completely subjective experience, then you can't say you understand what it is.
I didn't say I could understand somebody else's mindset; I just said I don't need moralized about what depression entails (as if I have never experienced depression myself and am speaking naively).
That's actually how it comes across. It's great that you've got perspective, keep patting yourself on the back for it and wondering why all those depressed folk can't see the world like you do.

Obviously you resent my arguments, but anybody is capable of getting out of their mental rut. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's very possible. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear - but I'm not going to pretend there's nothing in life worth getting up in the morning for. Or that you should approach depression as a permanent diagnosis.

That's simply untrue. Some people cannot fix their own problems. What then?

I don't really mean to come across as an asshole but I get annoyed when people (not just NGOG) make ignorant blanket statements about this stuff.

• Like 4

It seemed more than warranted to me. Depression is the most insidious, manipulative disease imaginable, it turns your mind, thoughts and emotions against you. Anyone who manages to end their own life, which is an act that goes against our fundamental wiring for survival, is in the throes of a devestating mental illness at it's most severe. Not selfish, or ungrateful, etc.

Do you know me? If you read my posts, you would know that I don't need depression explained to me. It's not a disease, it's an affliction of developed conciousness. In other words, unlike terminal cancer, you don't have to suffer from it your entire life. It's something you can see through.

With all due respect, horseshit. Some people do exactly that, whether they end up committing suicide or not. Including people who seek and recieve help to no avail. It's attitudes like this that perpetuate the notion that people who suffer from depression (particularly the clinical/major variety) just aren't 'trying hard enough' to get better, which makes loved ones less sympathetic and people who are suffering on the more extreme ends of the spectrum even more prone to isolating themselves. Whatever you went through (or are going through, and good for you for getting to the other side of it) it's not a one size fits all illness.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 4

With all due respect, horseshit. Some people do exactly that, whether they end up committing suicide or not. Including people who seek and recieve help to no avail. It's attitudes like this that perpetuate the notion that people who suffer from depression (particularly the clinical/major variety) just aren't 'trying hard enough' to get better, which makes loved ones less sympathetic and people who are suffering on the more extreme ends of the spectrum even more prone to isolating themselves. Whatever you went through (or are going through, and good for you for getting to the other side of it) it's not a one size fits all illness.

I used to think suicide was really selfish. Imo, you don't live for yourself, you live for the people around you, they make your life relevant, in a certain sense. If you kill yourself, your family and friends will forever suffer, while you choose the easy way out. But now a friend of mine had a depression. She is better now, but it was really bad, she thought about ending her life as well. She says that she just couldn't see straight anymore, she saw no light at the end of the tunnel. Also, there was no apparent reason for this. I mean, she had a loving family, they were all healthy, a good job etc, but she was just desperate and it paralyzed her completely, to the point she just couldn't function anymore. Shortly before her depression, I suffered a great loss, and she felt almost guilty, because I tried to carry on with my life, while she had nothing major to feel bad about. It made me think that depression is really a disease of the mind, just like any other disease. It doesn't necessarily mean that you suffered a lot or that you have a really bad life. I can't explain it very clearly, but I hope I'm making some sense.

The brain is so complicated, and I think that's why we don't understand a lot of what happens when people get depressed. And then there's the question of why people in dire circumstances don't commit suicide, and people who live in luxury, do.

The relationship couldn't have been that great, i wonder if she was under a lot of stress with her job?

They were say on the news over here in Australia that her company was in massive debt

Edited by Gibbo 27

6 mil in debt and her commercial fashion career had failed. But she hid debt and refused to take Micks money. But her clothes were popular with celebs, models etc. mick probably owed her 6 mil for letting his wrinkly old ass body rub up against her.

Edited by wasted

I could sympathise but look at the price of the stone tickets. He would have earned a mint these last 2 years. She may refuse to take his money, but what means more to mick? His girlfriend or a few million quid on top of his other millions. She fucked him over by not accpeting his money.

She kept it hidden. It's obviously a pride thing. She wants to be a real person not just micks bird. Suppose they aren't married why would she use his money to fund her career, its a bit embarrassing. but prob not worth topping yourself over a few dresses is it. But 6 mil that's a lot of dough.

On the topic of suicide; I use to feel the exact same way as NGOG, the "people who kill themselves are selfish for putting their families and friends through such pain" stance, and in some cases that may night be entirely wrong, but since experiences in the past year or so I think without question you could also argue that suicide is in fact the ultimate display of selflessness, and I certainly wouldn't say victims of suicide don't deserve sympathy. They ARE victims, and it is very sad when somebody carries out such an act. The real selfish people are those who react to the suicide of a loved one with anger and resentment, without considering that the person who they apparently loved, who "left them behind", was suffering and not in a right state of mind when they did this, and that isn't necessarily their fault.