Are you still in touch with Izzy?

GivenToFly

What he's up to? The only public appearances that I know of that he's made in the past few years have been when he played with GNR. He releases albums regularly but he's taking longer than usual since his last one.

He doesn't usually give interviews and if I recall correctly you helped the Mygnrforum interview with Slash happen and I was hoping you could help put the forum in contact with Izzy maybe?

I didn't see or talk to Izzy from the end of 1991 to 2007. I got his number and called him in 2007 to tell him what I'm doing with the book. He was excited that I was doing it and told me thats when the music was real. He was set to come over to interview for the book and then I fucked it up in 2 ways. I called him back to see if we could come to his house because we were running out of backgrounds to do the video interviews. When he realized that we were doing video interviews and when I told him that I found Desi and that I was also going to interview her the same day he was coming. He then told me that he doesn't want to come over and that I should email him some photos for comments.

I did email him the questions which only had to do with the music. Nothing about drug use but he never responded. I know that he then talked to AXl about it and maybe Axl talked him out of it? I did then see him at a Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell gig a few months later and he says to me "How did it all work out with your book"? Sort of strange that he would say that unless he thought that Axl was going to try to stop it somehow.

I knew that Axl didn't really want anything out that has to do with the old band but I also knew that because it was me and that he knew how hard I worked on it and how much it meant to me to get it out there that he wouldn't shoot it down. I also knew that the book would only help Axl and that he would see that at some point. Its the birth of the band and in the end the fans have a right to see it. It good for everyone. The fans get to have something special, I get to put out my work and the band gets put on a pedestal when people see how they made their way around the club gigs and how and when the songs were put together and how cool they looked and what was going on behind the scenes at that time. This is something that every band wished that someone did for them.

I latter found out that Izzy was not ready to deal with the drug stories and that he was not happy that Slash talked about it in his book. I think he wanted to help me but was just too conflicted between the drug thing and what ever Axl may have told him. I know that some sober people can't really deal with the time zone of when they were doing drugs and the last thing they want is to see people that they used to do drugs with. So I understand why he didn't want to come over but I don't understand why he didn't at least email me a small forward that I had asked him for.

I remember in 1989 I saw Izzy backstage at the Cathouse gig and he came up to me and asked me if he owed me any money to call him so he can take care of it. Its one of the steps that sober people do when they first get sober. The band did owe me money that I put out for them and Izzy even owed me some money for some other things but I didn't feel the need to call him for it. I guess if Axl or Slash would have asked me how much did you put out for us back then? We want to take care of it I would have come up with a number or if Alan Niven would have asked me. However Axl flew my wife and I out to gigs and paid for it out of his own pocket.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 3

Oh, that sucks, sorry to hear that man.

As for his comment, if that's all he said there isn't necessarily an indication that he wanted the publication stopped or that he knew Axl would want it stopped. Maybe he just said casually, like how's it going, how's your book?

Were you by any chance less close to him than to the others in the band in the 80s?

And did he give you an impression that he after he left the band he purposefully distanced himself from the people who had been in his life during his GNR days? I know he had some serious drug issues and trouble with the law and I think Axl said in an interview that something had scared Izzy really badly in 1990 or 1991 (maybe danger of arrest or overdose?) and I imagine someone who wanted to get their shit together might want to put as much distance between their former life and their current selves as possible.

Oh, that sucks, sorry to hear that man.

As for his comment, if that's all he said there isn't necessarily an indication that he wanted the publication stopped or that he knew Axl would want it stopped. Maybe he just said casually, like how's it going, how's your book?

Were you by any chance less close to him than to the others in the band in the 80s?

And did he give you an impression that he after he left the band he purposefully distanced himself from the people who had been in his life during his GNR days? I know he had some serious drug issues and trouble with the law and I think Axl said in an interview that something had scared Izzy really badly in 1990 or 1991 (maybe danger of arrest or overdose?) and I imagine someone who wanted to get their shit together might want to put as much distance between their former life and their current selves as possible.

Izzy was the only one that I was really not that close with. in 1985/86 he knew that I didn't approve of the drugs so we didn't have much in common.

I agree with you Marc. Maybe he just doesn't want to deal with things he did in the past. He's obviously not as open as Slash or any of the others about his drug use, let alone his life. The guy hasn't done an interview in years. He doesn't tour. He just does whatever he feels like. It wasn't very good though, the way he treated you and didn't even email you like you said. I hope that someday you get what you were looking for man.