I met a "Christian" radical today.

Ace Nova

As some of you may know, I work for one of the world's largest hotel and resort companies. I meet people on a daily basis and give presentations on various vacation club packages, ownerships, etc. I love my job for a number of reasons....one of them being that I get to meet people from all over the world and from all walks of life. I just finished my shift and I'm still troubled by the first family I met (Mostly the dad).

My presentations are approximately 90 minutes....and we spent about 75 of those minutes with him telling me how....

- Obama is destroying the country and that we are about to have another financial crash.

- The U.S. needs to be weakened so that we are at an even level with the rest of the world....you can't be on "top" for a New World Government.

- He actually blamed Christians for not being more radical...and that was the main reason the U.S. is destined to failure.

- Martin Luther King Jr. never existed....we have a holiday for a man who never existed....his real name was Michael and he changed it in order to gain support from Christians.

- Mother Theresa was in hell....according to her very own teachings.

- God puts all people of power here for a reason...Obama was put here to punish the U.S.

- Hitler was put here to punish the Jews for not returning to Israel when their land was restored to them after WWI. He basically said that God gave them Israel back but they refused to leave Germany because they were making money.

There was a lot more told...but you get the idea.

He also started quoting Bible verses stating how only by Christ can you be saved...and inferred that it was through faith alone that people are saved. Since I'm well versed in the Bible, I told him that basically wasn't true...and started to quote James....that people are saved through good deeds AND faith. Of course, he quickly dismissed Jame's quote, saying that it was written for only a specific group of people.

I have met many Christian fundamentalists over the years (I don't like calling them that because they're really not "fundamentally Christian") Notice I also put the word "Christian" in quotes in the title to the thread. This man's reasoning is the primary reason people look at religion, especially Christianity, in such a negative light. I starting thinking to myself, "If this is the way people think of Christians, no wonder there's so many atheists out there, people that mock us, etc". What troubled me the most is the fact that he and his wife had adopted 6 children....so on one hand, I knew that they had good intentions...that at least their "hearts" were in the right place....unfortunately, their minds were not.

I don't mean to start yet another religion controversy thread....I just needed to vent....and I'm actually here to say to many of the atheists, non believers, etc...that no, the vast majority of Christians do not share this man's views or beliefs....we do not use our religion as a front to spread hate, bigotry, homophobia and misinformation....nor does true Christianity itself....nor do the teachings of Jesus Christ.

If anything, the man opened my eyes today....I understand why so many people look at religion the way they do now....it's really saddening...and I won't fault anyone who criticizes Christianity for views such as this man's. (Which in reality, are non Christian views) I can only hope that some of you understand that this is not what we as Christians (or the majority of other religions) believe in. It's the exact opposite.

Edited by Kasanova King

And Kass replied 'wanna bump?' :lol:

Nah...I actually had to hold back my thoughts for the majority of the "lecture". We're not allowed to "argue" with clients. After the Mother Theresa and Hitler comments, I almost lost it....but I realized the guy was just misguided and that it was best just to let him have his say.

Guest Len B'stard

I've met radical muslims that have said similar things 'they should've let Hitler crack on with killing the jews, would've done us a favour' and it's like, yeah, cuz he'd've left you alone eh? Dickhead.

• Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

Cuz you talk to people, don't ya? I mean i work in an estate agent, my job is showing people property...but you get talking about any and everything really.

I'm struggling to understand how he could rant about these things when you are supposed to be giving a presentation about vacation club packages?

He wouldn't stop talking. And we're not suppose to "argue" with clients or do anything that could potentially "offend" them. So I basically had to let him speak. It was rather aggravating, actually.

I'm struggling to understand how he could rant about these things when you are supposed to be giving a presentation about vacation club packages?

He wouldn't stop talking. And we're not suppose to "argue" with clients or do anything that could potentially "offend" them. So I basically had to let him speak. It was rather aggravating, actually.

I'd have excused myself from the meeting, talked to my superior and said he was "offending" me with his rants. Let him handle the nutjob.

He's right about Mother Teresa. Vile old hag.

Yeah, I had to hold back after the mother Theresa comment....I was about to say something along the lines of, "If your god put Mother Theresa in hell....etc"

Edited by Kasanova King

I've met radical muslims that have said similar things 'they should've let Hitler crack on with killing the jews, would've done us a favour' and it's like, yeah, cuz he'd've left you alone eh? Dickhead.

Hitler had a weird relationship with the Iranians. Iranians were one of the few (probably only) non-German group allowed to "breed" with Germans in the Nuremberg Laws, due to being "Aryan" (Iran means "Land of the Aryan"). Reza Shah (the penultimate Shah) was a fan of Hitler, and this arguably influenced his decision in 1935 to ask that foreigners stop referring to the country as Persia. Up until a few years ago, the city of Kerman would attract German tourists with Nazi sympathies who believed that it was the "home of the German people" (absolute bollocks, Kerman has nothing to do with Germany).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany%E2%80%93Iran_relations#The_first_Pahlavi_era_and_Nazi_Germany

Also, here's a photo Hitler sent to Reza Shah (shame it's not signed "Hitler xoxo"):

786px-Signed_Photograph_of_Adolf_Hitler_

So you can see why the Allies "occupied" Iran in 1941 ;)

Yup. Hitchens' original title for his book against her "The Missionary Position" was "Sacred Cow". And here's an amusing Penn & Teller BULLSHIT! episode on the matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6voAW_Go5Y

Edited by Amir

I'd have excused myself from the meeting, talked to my superior and said he was "offending" me with his rants. Let him handle the nutjob.

I actually did on one occasion....but the funny part is that my manager came over and started to joke about their t-shirts earlier (They were all wearing Duck Dynasty t-shirts, surprise, surprise...lol)....so he thought they were a "cool" family....when I started telling him what the guy was saying, he didn't believe it at first....eventually, he just told me just to get through the presentation and move on.

Yeah, I had to hold back after the mother Theresa comment....I was about to say something along the lines of, "If your god put Mother Theresa in hell, then I wouldn't want any part of your god or religion".

The thing is though, Mother Teresa went out of her way to allow the poor to suffer as she believed that suffering was the best way to bring people to God. That is about the lowest of the low - taking people who are in a terrible situation and not only not helping them, but actively trying to keep them in the place that is making their life hell.

• Like 1

I actually did on one occasion....but the funny part is that my manager came over and started to joke about their t-shirts earlier (They were all wearing Duck Dynasty t-shirts, surprise, surprise...lol)....so he thought they were a "cool" family....when I started telling him what the guy was saying, he didn't believe it at first....eventually, he just told me just to get through the presentation and move on.

Would he have said that to you if you were jewish? Do you not have any rights as an employee? No way would that shit fly here.

This guy was probably spoon-fed those very beliefs from birth by his parents. It further exemplifies why religious people shouldn't teach religion to their children.

No, quite the opposite, actually. He said that he had a myriad of books at home...about various religions and that he studied them all....he also stated (basically the same thing that you're saying) that people shouldn't be baptized as babies...that they need to be born again as adults and baptized only as adults, when they understand the religion.

This guy was probably spoon-fed those very beliefs from birth by his parents. It further exemplifies why religious people shouldn't teach religion to their children.

No, quite the opposite, actually. He said that he had a myriad of books at home...about various religions and that he studied them all....he also stated (basically the same thing that you're saying) that people shouldn't be baptized as babies...that they need to be born again as adults and baptized only as adults, when they understand the religion.

I agree with him completely on that.

The thing is though, Mother Teresa went out of her way to allow the poor to suffer as she believed that suffering was the best way to bring people to God. That is about the lowest of the low - taking people who are in a terrible situation and not only not helping them, but actively trying to keep them in the place that is making their life hell.

Mother Theresa was a missionary....and she helped lepers on a leper's colony...they were people that the rest of the world wanted no part of....how could she have taken them out of poverty? She wasn't rich....it's not like she could have said, "Hey, you thousands and thousands of lepers...come back with me to my 100,000 square foot convent to live in harmony".

Would he have said that to you if you were jewish? Do you not have any rights as an employee? No way would that shit fly here.

He actually did ask me what my nationality was shortly before the "Jewish" comment. Now that I think about it....he was definitely using Christianity as a front for his racism...(consciously or sub consciously).

One of my co-workers basically said the same thing as you are implying....that I should have told the guy my wife was Jewish and I should have ended the presentation there.....

Mother Theresa was a missionary....and she helped lepers on a leper's colony...they were people that the rest of the world wanted no part of....how could she have taken them out of poverty? She wasn't rich....it's not like she could have said, "Hey, you thousands and thousands of lepers...come back with me to my 100,000 square foot convent to live in harmony".

She received millions in donations and was flown around the world. She explicitly said that through suffering those lepers and sick people could reach God, she did not want to alleviate their condition on this world. Watch the documentary I posted.

• Like 1

The only part that might be true is mother Teresa is hell. She was either a terrible person, or someone who got influenced by the Vatican to do a bunch of stupid and corrupt things. There's evidence that suggests she wasn't even a believer. She expressed serious doubts in letters and journals, saying that no matter how hard she tried she didn't really feel Christ like she thought she ought to. Actually kind of sad. However if she felt that way, and her shady dealings with Charles Keating and others, at least by the Catholic which she believed she is probably in hell.

A very small point that refutes your idea of Theresa:

"And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go? The primitive hospice in Calcutta was as run down when she died as it always had been—she preferred California clinics when she got sick herself—and her order always refused to publish any audit."

You guys are acting as if the people that Mother Theresa helped were middle class or doing well and she made them live in poverty... :lol: And who the heck is Penn and Teller to judge Mother Theresa?

You may not understand her "philosophy" of suffrage but until you go out and help thousands of people....and do it your way, who are you to judge?

A very small point that refutes your idea of Theresa:

"And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go? The primitive hospice in Calcutta was as run down when she died as it always had been—she preferred California clinics when she got sick herself—and her order always refused to publish any audit."

You're acting as if she's a politician taking campaign funds from corrupt bankers, etc....she took the donations to help the poor. Considering the fact that she lived in poverty herself, it's rather obvious she didn't use the money on herself.