Axl rose on phone 99 interview

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Voted for " Duff and Slash should've agreed with Axl on trying new advanced stuff", but didn't Duff want to experiment with different things? He "rejected" Slash stuff with Axl. I think he said it reminded him of southern rock or something and he, Duff, didn't want to go down that route. And there was one interview where he said something positive about the possible Nine Inch Nails-esque direction or approach to new songs. Then Axl brought in Paul Huge and Duff was pissed, cause Huge wrote songs even more in the vein of southern rock.

I think they should've written AFD-stuff, but use more modern procution techniques. They should've found middle ground between AFD and ChiDem styles.

"70 songs"..."Not workin on all this to keep it buried."

I wonder if he's changed his mind.

I think the label may have changed his mind for him.

70 songs... This interview was 15 years ago.. WTF happened...

Tbf, I doubt all 70 would have seen the light of day in the best of situations. There's an Axl interview from around '91 where he says they've got about 42 songs recorded for the Illusions, and that he wants to get it down to 30 (we saw for example that Ain't Going Down was recorded but not included). I reckon the number that were planned for release was probably closer to 50, so still a hell of a lot out there.

They were both children. Axl wanted to try new stuff, and Slash was resistant of that idea. Rightfully so, as Chinese Democracy didn't have such a great impact on the public. You can say the reason it flopped was Axl waited too long, but it would have annoyed people even if it was released in the late 90s. Slash wanted to go back to their roots, and Axl was resistant to the idea. Rightfully so, as Its 5 O Clock Somewhere was NOT the next Appetite For Destruction and was seen by many as pretty mediocre.

They both wanted different things and either both should have compromised or both should have done something solo and gotten it out of their system. Why should Slash and Duff have backed down to Axl just because Axl was being stubborn? And why should Axl have been forced to agree to Slash's idea if he wasn't really into it? At least in Slash's defense, he did his idea and probably was more receptive to Axl's idea because he got his thing out of his system. But the problem with this band was they all moved too far away from their initial musical ideas and apparently no one in this band can compromise on anything.

Well Slash is a more straight forward rock/metal guy whereas Axl likes to experiment some with pianos and instruments other than a guitar. I've heard the stories of Duff rejecting the Slash material, but according to Axl, Duff didn't like the OMG direction either. There's a fine line between experimenting and then just going so far away from your sound that it's a whole new band.

I like the first Snakepit album and see no problem with that being a GN'R record, though I suppose it would have been given mixed reviews since it was following the Illusion albums. A back to the roots album would have sold well because of the name though.

Where's these 70 songs? Sad we'll never hear most of them.

70 songs... This interview was 15 years ago.. WTF happened...

That's the sad and frustrating thing.

So much music. Even if say only 25 of those were really GnR quality. Then you revamp the band with new members, who want to write and record and put THEIR stamp on GnR. What good does it do to build up a huge catalog of music if you aren't going to release it? Does Axl tell DJ "I really like what you've brought to the table, and we'll release an album full of songs you helped write. But first we have to release CD2 in 2016. So in 2022 we'll get to the songs you and BBF have helped create." Songs this current band wrote -as band in 2010 might not see the light of day for over a decade.