Could you ever see Slash playing the CD songs?

TeeJay410

You would be surprised what Slash could cover if he wanted too. I used to challenge him in the 1982/193 to learn fast solos and he always nailed them note for note. He by nature choses to play slower. The fact is I don't think he would even want to cover certain ones on CD. He would leave it up to the other guy to do.

Could he play shackler's ? I'd love to watch him try n' play it like bumblefoot does. Imo Slash is an amazing guitar player but guys like bucket, bumble or Guthrie are in a league of they're own.

The real question is why the fuck he'd want to play Shacklers - Imo, one of the worst songs on the album

The real question is why the fuck he'd want to play Shacklers - Imo, one of the worst songs on the album

Yeah, really.. "Hmmm play one of my classic GNR tunes from 1987-1991 that my guitar playing is internationally respected for, or try a shot at Shackler's Revenge?" Tough decision for the guy..

• 2 weeks later...

Slash can shred. It's not hard. Make sure your right hand can pick really fast while your left hand does correct hammer ons and pull offs. Staying in key is the toughest part and any lead player worth their salt can do that. People act like Bucket and BBF are such complex guitarists. A Slash solo is infinitely harder to replicate than some random shred solo you hear in a Buckethead song.

• Like 1

There is nothing 'hard' about BBF solos. Grab a metronome, grab a guitar with a scalloped and/or ebony fretboard, start playing arpeggios very slow, then work up to speed. Do this every day, for a few years, and you will be just like BBF, and Yngwie, and Buckethead, and Paul Gilbert, and Chris Broderick, and, and , and... you get the point. This isn't something that comes from your ear, it is a learned method.

Slash however, brings emotion and melody to a song. His phrasings are more lyrical and much like a saxophone. Slash is a household name, because he has a distinct style and tone. He has a natural ability to make a solo memorable, and singable by many people who don't even play guitar. Slash's style is not something you can learn, unlike the Yngwie, BBF clones you see on the internet. Unless your a dedicated fan of these guys, most casual music listeners would never be able to distinguish who it is. The majority of causal music listeners would probably identify Slash if they were played one of his songs.

I would love to hear Slash's take on any of Axl's new songs. My guess, is they would be better and more memorable than what they are now.

You basically nailed everything I wanted to say.

• Like 1

Slash can shred. It's not hard. Make sure your right hand can pick really fast while your left hand does correct hammer ons and pull offs. Staying in key is the toughest part and any lead player worth their salt can do that. People act like Bucket and BBF are such complex guitarists. A Slash solo is infinitely harder to replicate than some random shred solo you hear in a Buckethead song.

You're reducing Bucket's solos to "random shred". That's horseshit. There are plenty of awesome Bucket solos. Slow ones as well. Bucket can be lyrical when he wants to. It's all about what he wants to do, cause he's not limited at all artistically.

It's like comparing between a really good cook (Slash) that makes delicious food, but it's not as complicated as some great chef (Bucket) that also makes awesome food. Complexity and simplicity are different approaches, different styles, but the bottom line is: do you like it? If you enjoy it, then it's good. Bucket is one of the best guitar players in the world.

Plus it's hard to shred. At least harder then to play slow shit. The quality of your playing, not losing direction when you're going really fast, and nailing all the right notes while playing clean is tough. At least it was for me. For others it's no big deal. Comes naturally, but it is a difficult skill to master imo.

Edited by Rovim

You would be surprised what Slash could cover if he wanted too. I used to challenge him in the 1982/193 to learn fast solos and he always nailed them note for note. He by nature choses to play slower. The fact is I don't think he would even want to cover certain ones on CD. He would leave it up to the other guy to do.

Could he play shackler's ? I'd love to watch him try n' play it like bumblefoot does.

That's the wrong way of looking at it, if Slash is gonna play something, he's gonna play it how Slash plays it. There's no real chance of anything else happening, nor should there be.

• Like 1

You're reducing Bucket's solos to "random shred". That's horseshit. There are plenty of awesome Bucket solos. Slow ones as well. Bucket can be lyrical when he wants to. It's all about what he wants to do, cause he's not limited at all artistically.

It's like comparing between a really good cook (Slash) that makes delicious food, but it's not as complicated as some great chef (Bucket) that also makes awesome food. Complexity and simplicity are different approaches, different styles, but the bottom line is: do you like it? If you enjoy it, then it's good. Bucket is one of the best guitar players in the world.

Plus it's hard to shred. At least harder then to play slow shit. The quality of your playing, not losing direction when you're going really fast, and nailing all the right notes while playing clean is tough. At least it was for me. For others it's no big deal. Comes naturally, but it is a difficult skill to master imo.

Oh I know Bucket also plays slower stuff and that is where he shines in my opinion. Granted I'm not his biggest fan nor have I heard his entire discography, but that's what I take from the stuff I have heard. I'd still take Slash anyday of the week but that's just me.

As for shredding, it's interesting you mention that it's harder to play fast than slow for you. For me, it's the complete opposite. I constantly have to work on my slow playing because playing fast gives me more room to breath, if that makes any sense. Kinda sounds like an oxymoron but that's how I view it. But I also work on playing clean while shredding, which can be difficult, yes. Talking guitar technique is always fun.

Could he play shackler's ? I'd love to watch him try n' play it like bumblefoot does.

That's the wrong way of looking at it, if Slash is gonna play something, he's gonna play it how Slash plays it. There's no real chance of anything else happening, nor should there be.

Exactly. Slash sounds the best when he plays it like Slash. Making him cover any of the Chinese solos (which I love for the most part) will be a waste of Slash's time. Not in this lifetime anyway.

Exactly. Slash sounds the best when he plays it like Slash. Making him cover any of the Chinese solos (which I love for the most part) will be a waste of Slash's time. Not in this lifetime anyway.

most guitar player plays solos in they're own way. That said, Bucket and bumble could play note for note anything that slash has ever put out, but slash on the other hand couldnt play they're solos note for note. Get my point ? I'm not saying that the man doesnt play the fuck out of the songs he plays, im saying that he's technically inferior to the other guys.

most guitar player plays solos in they're own way. That said, Bucket and bumble could play note for note anything that slash has ever put out, but slash on the other hand couldnt play they're solos note for note. Get my point ? I'm not saying that the man doesnt play the fuck out of the songs he plays, im saying that he's technically inferior to the other guys.

You didn't read my posts in this thread. (can't blame you) but maybe you can check out post #16 in the previous page of this thread.

Of course Slash is technically inferior to Bucket and Ron. But it's not mainly about playing it. It's about composing it and then performing it. And when I say "it" I mean riffs, solos, and lead parts that only Slash can come up with that take Axl's ideas to another level .(Estranged, November Rain)

Plus, if Slash by some miracle got a chance to play a show with Axl and the new line up, would you really want him to cover their lead parts? lol. It's fucking Slash.

Edited by Rovim

The other part of that, is the fact that even if Slash can't play like Thal or Carroll, it's still Slash.

Whatever he comes up with to substitute for their parts, you know it's gonna be bloody good anyways.

And probably will sound more natural with Axl's voice. And as a Guns song. And, and, and...

That's the power of real chemistry. And the musical connection of Axl and Slash can not be replicated with technically better players imo. Actually, I'm gonna go all out here and say it can't be replicated with anyone other then Slash, and I have a feeling they both fucking know it.

Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 songs for Chinese. Why? My guess is he wanted a few songs to feature Slash cause:

1. It's fucking Slash and it's very likely he'll come up with something cool for Axl's songs, with the iconic sounds of his guitar and the unique way he puts notes together, his phrasing, etc.

2. To validate the album and present it as something that was created also by one of the key members of the classic line up.

Amazing to think that with all the burning hate Axl felt, he still left the door open in 2001, while Bucket and Robin were a part of the band already.

Marc said that Axl told him that Robin was his Randy Rhoads so it's a little weird he wanted Slash on a few songs too. Why would he need a person he hates, if he has so much confidence in his new guitar player? Hmmm...

I guess I've answered my own question with the 2 points I've made earlier, but still... it's kinda weird.

Edited by Rovim

You didn't read my posts in this thread. (can't blame you) but maybe you can check out post #16 in the previous page of this thread.

Of course Slash is technically inferior to Bucket and Ron. But it's not mainly about playing it. It's about composing it and then performing it. And when I say "it" I mean riffs, solos, and lead parts that only Slash can come up with that take Axl's ideas to another level .(Estranged, November Rain)

Plus, if Slash by some miracle got a chance to play a show with Axl and the new line up, would you really want him to cover their lead parts? lol. It's fucking Slash.

If he by some miracle played a song with Axl ever again i'd stop following Axl and everything gnr related.

If he by some miracle played a song with Axl ever again i'd stop following Axl and everything gnr related.

But look how cool they look together:

:axl::slash:

:facepalm:

Edited by Rovim

Slash stepping in, can only help Axl these days. I honestly don't think it would do much for Slash.

It would push him to be more ambitious musically. No one can push Slash to come up with something brilliant like Axl can.

Edited by Rovim

Although even then, there's a good chance Axl's best ideas have already come and gone.

You fucking hater.

He can always prove me wrong.

Well, I don't think Axl ever released a bad album of original material. Critics seem to agree it's not a bad album. A lot of people seem to dig it here, and a few of my friends loved it. Never got a bad reaction. At least not the AAA songs on there.

Honestly though, reading your post again, I just realized you've said "best ideas". Not really good ideas, or even great, so I get where you're coming from, cause even if you take Axl's own songs in Guns (songs he brought to the table) big songs like November Rain - can he write another song on that caliber? Idk. Not likely. But you never know. Never say never.

I'm one of those hardcore new Guns fans. I love Chinese, but it doesn't come anywhere close to Appetite, and some songs on UYI.

But Catcher, There Was A Time, Better, and Street Of Dreams are good enough for me.

You can compare other classic line up members like Slash and what he released with VR to Axl and Chinese: It wasn't as good as Guns, not even close imo, but it was damn good. Good enough for me.

Edited by Rovim

• 2 months later...

Bumble can't replicate the feeling slash plays with. He can hit the notes, the timing and the bends but even with eyes closed you know something's missing and not just good tone.

Dj tries hard to replicate slash but he just keeps fucking up.

And Jesus did you hear the DVD from Vegas holy wah.

So slash can't play what the new guys play, doesn't matter, the new guys make a career out of playing his leads. Bam.

I think we all know Slash can't play Shackelr's solo, for example (unlike Bumblefoot, who can play note by note anything Slash ever played). However, he sould surely make some great solos if he played the songs his own way, no doubt about that

Edited by BreakDown2014

I don't think he would even consider playing something from chinese democracy, that'd be one of the reasons GNR will never take to the stage with Axl and Slash. That record took Axl too much blood, sweat, lunacy and tears to push aside like a mouldy piece of bread. Not to mention a lot of it was crafted in spite of Slash's covert war or what Axl perceived as everyone out ta get him with Slash being the central cog trailing poisonous tentacles across every landscape he traversed. Even if they miraculously patched things up after being locked on an island for two years and somehow found common ground and a workable rapport after such a colossal chasm shunted up between them, it'd start all over again discussing whether to play Axl's 'hired hands' in Slash's eyes, solos and compositions, surely he'd want to also throw some of HIS songs in even though they technically aren't GNR, for all intents and purposes they'd be just as viable as Axl's CD stuff.

My original question wasn't necessarily about Slash being able to play the material, but if he would be willing to play it in the event of a reunion

Now that's an if-question so here s an if-answer.

If there is a reunion and if they decide to play some chinese songs Slash would never ever play that solos note for note. Not saying that he couldn't nor that he could. But surely he would play them as he wants to. He would play a Slash solo.