Who would you say is the best drummer GNR has played with post-Adler?

Brain by far, a superb drummer tech and feel. Freese is also a great drummer, but hard to put a tag on his work with GnR. Frank is merely ok, does to job - not nearly as good as Brain.

Matt "Casio2050" Sorum sounded like a drum machine, no feel. Never really liked his playing.

At least Matt knows how to play Mr. Brownstone

Brain doesn't :shrugs:

punk groove - adler

precise hard rock - sorum

killer groove, precision - brain

frank - does not work for this band, too much hip hop influence in his playing

freese - doesn't have what brain has.

so..

if i could make a frankendrummer, itll be out of brain/sorum

sorry adler, but brains got more groove :)

Punk groove?

Frank as a hip hop drummer?

you're tone deaf bro

I don't get the praise for Brain

I saw him with the band in 2006 and he was sloppy

He doesn't know how to play properly the old songs though

I still don't get the praise for him

you will understand when you learn to drum mate, i've been drumming for 15 years and i can tell you franks roots is way off what gnr is.

you don't understand the praise for brain?, i assume you are basing this on only the work he has done for gnr.. look outside the work he's done for gnr and maybe listen to interstate 76 soundtrack.. it's on youtube.. actually wiki brain up and listen to everything else he's done OTHER than gnr stuff.. tbh the gnr stuff he did was way possibly the least challenging for him.

as for adler, when i mean punk.. i mean a more loose/less technical style of play, maybe i should have been a little more obvious yeah he had the most perfect groove/style for afd..

even after drumming for 7 years i bought brains shredding repis on the gnar gnar rad dvd to learn some more chops, and man he's a unique player..

The answer is Josh Freese and it's not even close in terms of technical ability. It's no surprise he's in far more demand than any of the others they've ever had and is recruited by some of the very best in the business.

Listen to his work on A Perfect Circle for reference. Brain is creative but doesn't have anywhere near the chops. Adler has a very simplistic approach that works for him and worked great for Appetite. Frank and Matt are cut from the same cloth. Hard/heavy hitters but don't have a lot of originality or creativity to their work.

Freese is more versatile than the rest of the guys put together. It's a damn shame his work even if Brain copied it note for note wasn't kept. He has some of the best sounding toms and cymbals going around.

punk groove - adler

so..

Punk groove?

you're tone deaf bro

you will understand when you learn to drum mate, i've been drumming for 15 years and i can tell you franks roots is way off what gnr is.

you don't understand the praise for brain?, i assume you are basing this on only the work he has done for gnr.. look outside the work he's done for gnr and maybe listen to interstate 76 soundtrack.. it's on youtube.. actually wiki brain up and listen to everything else he's done OTHER than gnr stuff.. tbh the gnr stuff he did was way possibly the least challenging for him.

as for adler, when i mean punk.. i mean a more loose/less technical style of play, maybe i should have been a little more obvious yeah he had the most perfect groove/style for afd..

even after drumming for 7 years i bought brains shredding repis on the gnar gnar rad dvd to learn some more chops, and man he's a unique player..

I talked here about GNR not his other works...

I've heard him on Bucket collaborations and he was good

But live he was sloppy and doesn't fit in GNR. He IS technical but has nothing to do with this bands sound (esp. on the old songs)

Least challenging? Yeah, but he can't play the song in right way. Not even close

at all

If you're a drummer yourself and calling Adler's grooves "Punk grooves" then you should learn more about drumming. Less techincal playing doesn't mean Punk, omg :crazy:

Brain or Freese. Sorum done a decent job, Frank, like Ashba, is the weakest member on his instrument in GNR history.

Why?

He is a sessions drummer and got the job for the touring

At least he isn't sloppy like Brain

brain is faaaar too over rated here

Freese too

What did we hear from him in GNR actually? Drumming in studio doesn't mean shit, if you ask me

Live performances matter

I've gotta say Frank. He's the closest to how Adler played.

Although Brain is a very talented drummer, I did not like the way he played the Appetite and UYI stuff.

Finally some respect for Frank

I think Frank improves a lot since 2006

Actually liked his style

Way better fit in Axl's band than Brain (mainly because they play mostly the old/classic songs)

he got some shitty moments on covers, though

punk groove - adler

so..

Punk groove?

you're tone deaf bro

But live he was sloppy and doesn't fit in GNR. He IS technical but has nothing to do with this bands sound (esp. on the old songs)

Least challenging? Yeah, but he can't play the song in right way. Not even close

at all

If you're a drummer yourself and calling Adler's grooves "Punk grooves" then you should learn more about drumming. Less techincal playing doesn't mean Punk, omg :crazy:

Brain or Freese. Sorum done a decent job, Frank, like Ashba, is the weakest member on his instrument in GNR history.

Why?

Freese too

What did we hear from him in GNR actually? Drumming in studio doesn't mean shit, if you ask me

Live performances matter

Brain is technically an awesome drummer - so if we're talking about who is the best drummer then it's Brain. Josh was there at the start of the ChiDem process and we've heard some output from him (Oh My God, '99 demos), and he is a very versatile drummer, so him and Sorum are mentioned as they wrote the parts that we heard on recordings - I don't like Franks overdubs on ChiDem and he can also be sloppy live - granted Brain was a bit off on a couple of songs (YCBM, Brownstone), but overall I thought he done a good job live.

punk groove - adler

so..

Punk groove?

you're tone deaf bro

at all

Why?

Freese too

Live performances matter

Also, drumming in the studio doesn't matter?! Since when? That's like saying BBF and Ashba are better than Bucket and Robin, which they are not because they put in a better live performance (which neither do live and we only have BBFs ChiDem overdubs to judge his recording output - of which I also don't like).

Edited by robin2002

Brain by far, a superb drummer tech and feel. Freese is also a great drummer, but hard to put a tag on his work with GnR. Frank is merely ok, does to job - not nearly as good as Brain.

Matt "Casio2050" Sorum sounded like a drum machine, no feel. Never really liked his playing.

At least Brain does not think that he is GnR. Matt does.

punk groove - adler

so..

Punk groove?

you're tone deaf bro

at all

Why?

Freese too

Live performances matter

you obviously don't know what freese has done for the music scene, you have no idea what he's done, and what he's played on.. he is one of the most sought after session drummers out there, Having said that it just shows you have no idea what you're on about... Sure it's your opinion.. but when you are so far uneducated on the subject it just reinforces how little you know about drummers/drumming

btw, here's an part of a interview with adler about his drumming, and it's pretty much everywhere else if you look for it "The drummer had co-founded the band back in 1986 and oversaw their rise to the top from behind the kit, his punk-influenced rock chops the perfect foundation for GN’R’s gritty take on flamboyant rock."

also.. from another interview with adler.

your style was different, would it be fair to say you had a Punk rock approach to your drumming?

Yes! I did, a punk and jazz approach man! I always looked up to Queen’s drummer Roger Taylor, The Who’s Keith Moon, Peter Criss of Kiss. What I brought was a groove, I loved to groove. When Matt Sorum came in, I didn’t care for his playing, but once I got to meet him and know him I thought he was a great guy, a really lovely person.

hrmm, i suppose even if adler says his style was punk, he's still wrong..

Edited by slaxl stradler

At least Brain does not think that he is GnR. Matt does.

Actually i consider him more than a hired hand

he is one of the most sought after session drummers out there, Having said that it just shows you have no idea what you're on about... Sure it's your opinion.. but when you are so far uneducated on the subject it just reinforces how little you know about drummers/drumming

Fuck off

I don't care about session musicians (even if they are techincally good)

Live performaces shows what they know

In the studio you can over effecting everything (when you play live you can use some thing too, but the LIVE feel what matters on a drummer)

That's what shows the drummer abilites

uneducated?

fuck off

I'm not a druming nerd

I believe my ears and my eyes on a live setting not some stupid DVD's bro

Yup

He loves the double bass in his early days (a thing what most of the early punk drummers hate)

Also he is a drug addict and talking what the interviewer wants to hear so...

punk groove - adler

so..

Punk groove?

you're tone deaf bro

at all

Why?

Freese too

Live performances matter

you obviously don't know what freese has done for the music scene, you have no idea what he's done, and what he's played on.. he is one of the most sought after session drummers out there, Having said that it just shows you have no idea what you're on about... Sure it's your opinion.. but when you are so far uneducated on the subject it just reinforces how little you know about drummers/drumming

btw, here's an part of a interview with adler about his drumming, and it's pretty much everywhere else if you look for it "The drummer had co-founded the band back in 1986 and oversaw their rise to the top from behind the kit, his punk-influenced rock chops the perfect foundation for GN’R’s gritty take on flamboyant rock."

also.. from another interview with adler.

your style was different, would it be fair to say you had a Punk rock approach to your drumming?

Yes! I did, a punk and jazz approach man! I always looked up to Queen’s drummer Roger Taylor, The Who’s Keith Moon, Peter Criss of Kiss. What I brought was a groove, I loved to groove. When Matt Sorum came in, I didn’t care for his playing, but once I got to meet him and know him I thought he was a great guy, a really lovely person.

I really don't think you should be able to count Josh for a tenure in GNR because he played on one fucking song.

If this was a thread about who is the better drummer in general, that's a real different story. But you can't judge Josh on his performance with GNR because he played in the studio on one song. He'd probably nail live performances, but we have no reference for that.

PS. Frank's playing is stale as fuck.