One In A Million

Snowmass

I'd love to know Marc's first reaction when he heard it and who he was listening to it with. I think I heard about the lyrics in the news before I listened to it, so the shock value of it wasn't there.

I do think you had a lot of bands pissed about the parental advisory stickers and Tipper Gore that bands wanted to fight back against censorship in their own way. You can pick any number of songs in music history and find something offensive.

OK- I've received some messages etc...to clarify. The "lyrics aside" was to not start a pissing contest/bitch-Fest about the "police & n****" and "immigrants and fa**£*" lyrics. I think they fit the song just fine. OK- back to the topic at hand. LOL. I want to know was this performed live and do we have more recordings/videos? Thx all!

Edited by Snowmass
  • Like 1

Sh*t song.

"lyrics aside"

Funniest thing I've read all week.

Can't you judge the song purely based on it's musical merits? It's more then the subject matter of it's lyrics.

No and no it isn't. It is hate speech.

If you guys like that sorta sh*t, ok, it is your right; but lets not try to pretend it is something other than what it is. Could be a track on a Johnny Rebel album.

• Like 1

Sh*t song.

"lyrics aside"

Funniest thing I've read all week.

Can't you judge the song purely based on it's musical merits? It's more then the subject matter of it's lyrics.

No and no it isn't. It is hate speech.

If you guys like that sorta sh*t, ok, it is your right; but lets not try to pretend it is something other than what it is. Could be a track on a Johnny Rebel album.

Oh. Yeah, I enjoy "that sorta shit". If by "that sorta shit" you mean great guitar (and bass) playing and singing. If you can't see past one element of the work, you're not giving the rest of it the credit I think it deserves.

Axl had a lot of shit to say back in the day. What's it got to do with the song instrumentally? Nothing. Slash's solo and leads are not as good cause Axl sang some dumb lyrics in the same song? Please.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Sure the music and melody is great, but the lyrics are pretty undeniably racist, homophobic, and xenophobic. No matter what excuse you give, the lyrics were offensive in their time and even more so today. You know by to take them seriously because they were written by some white trash jack ass who happened to have a great voice and hit the lottery, and in all likelihood Axl was never racist, but it doesn't change the fact the lyrics are.

• Like 1

Sure the music and melody is great, but the lyrics are pretty undeniably racist, homophobic, and xenophobic. No matter what excuse you give, the lyrics were offensive in their time and even more so today. You know by to take them seriously because they were written by some white trash jack ass who happened to have a great voice and hit the lottery, and in all likelihood Axl was never racist, but it doesn't change the fact the lyrics are.

Not disputing the lyrics were and maybe still are offensive to some people, and they are at least questionable, but the song is not shit. The music is good enough to at least recognize it's quality, which Sunny didn't even get to because of the lyrics.

I still enjoy listening to it cause it has so many great moments musically.

No man, its just that certain songs, its hard to not judge but by the whole of their sum parts. I don't mean any disrespect to you, but to me its like you are saying hate speech is cool as long as it has a decent bass line.

• Like 1

No man, its just that certain songs, its hard to not judge but by the whole of their sum parts. I don't mean any disrespect to you, but to me its like you are saying hate speech is cool as long as it has a decent bass line.

Yep. That's exactly what I meant. It's all about those sweet bass lines.

Edited by Rovim

OK- I've received some messages etc...to clarify. The "lyrics aside" was to not start a pissing contest/bitch-Fest about the "police & n****" and "immigrants and fa**£*" lyrics. I think they fit the song just fine. OK- back to the topic at hand. LOL. I want to know was this performed live and do we have more recordings/videos? Thx all!

Yes, it was performed live at the CBGB in 1987. They played an accustic set there, including songs from AFD. If I´m not misteken they performed Patience for the 1st time that day. You can find it on youtube. I do not know if the song was played more times

It was only played those two times.

What is interesting is that IF the other band members really were against the lyrics to the extent they would claim in later interviews (see http://www.a-4-d.com/t99-one-in-a-million) then why weren't they able to prevent playing it live twice or prevent having it featured on their record? Either they weren't that opposed to the lyrics (perhaps they thought the controversy would be good for the band, cynical as that seems; or they shared Axl thoughts on the matter to some extent; or they interpreted it as some third-party's opinions distant from the band itself), or perhaps Axl just had more power than them in the band and could basically say, "shut up and play" (a spineless-ness that would later cause Duff and Slash to sign the name over). I don't know what the reasons were but it just feels a bit weird to read how opposed they allegedly were to the lyrics yet they did play it publicly twice and had it on their record.

• Like 2

This thread makes me sad.

As the OP I apologize. I just wanted (other than the CBGB gig) to know of/hear other performances of it. Probably (if he coulda worked in more politically correct lyrics) woulda been a masterpiece.

It didn't ruin the song for me, but I agree that with better lyrics (not more politically correct, just not so immature) it would have been a much better song that would have been probably performed as much as Used To Love Her or some shit.

Incorrect.

It was the opener July 30, 1987 at the Val du Lakes Amphitheater in Mears, Michigan.

They played Val du Lakes Amphitheater in Mears, Michigan in July 30, 1988, as part of their tour with Aerosmith. I have never heard of them playing the same venue on the exact date one year before. What is your source for this? I also don't have the full setlist for the 1988 show in Mears, but I doubt strongly they would play that song again.

What is interesting is that IF the other band members really were against the lyrics to the extent they would claim in later interviews (see http://www.a-4-d.com/t99-one-in-a-million) then why weren't they able to prevent playing it live twice or prevent having it featured on their record? Either they weren't that opposed to the lyrics (perhaps they thought the controversy would be good for the band, cynical as that seems; or they shared Axl thoughts on the matter to some extent; or they interpreted it as some third-party's opinions distant from the band itself), or perhaps Axl just had more power than them in the band and could basically say, "shut up and play" (a spineless-ness that would later cause Duff and Slash to sign the name over). I don't know what the reasons were but it just feels a bit weird to read how opposed they allegedly were to the lyrics yet they did play it publicly twice and had it on their record.

I think it is something where any record company has the last word. They did nothing or little to stop it. I mean David Geffen being gay and he didn´t seem to have a problem with that? My guess is they knew it was gonna be controversy. So they figured it was publicity for a band on the raise.

Also Duff says in his book that according to his interpretation Axl was talking from 3rd person perspective. And the song meant to be a critical view of the Reagan Era. However I´m not sure I can agree with Duff because Axl never said such thing when he was answering questions about it in interviews back in those days.

• Like 1

Maybe they let it happen because they knew their career was just getting started and already knew that Axl was stupid enough to blow it all up because he insisted in saying the n word in a song.

That 3rd person argument is bull shit simply on the basis that it's written in the first person. Also when has Axl ever written from a perspective that wasn't his? There's no excuse for the lyrics I. The song and while I agree that it is musically great, the lyrics do ruin it for me.

Maybe they let it happen because they knew their career was just getting started and already knew that Axl was stupid enough to blow it all up because he insisted in saying the n word in a song.

That 3rd person argument is bull shit simply on the basis that it's written in the first person. Also when has Axl ever written from a perspective that wasn't his? There's no excuse for the lyrics I. The song and while I agree that it is musically great, the lyrics do ruin it for me.

Tell that to Duff. He is the one saying it. That´s why he never thought that recording that song mean any trouble. He figured eveyone would have the same interpretation :shrugs: