When Exactly did Axl Rose Stop Trying?

You have another album worth of killer tracks? Cool. Put em' out dude. Move the band forward. This isn't rocket science....

Is that easy, no? But honestly, those *supposedly* killer tracks were written by people that are no longer in the band. Don't you think the new guys (sans Ashba) deserve their moment to shine? If your answer is yes, then the new question should be: Why the fuck is not happening?

i honestly have to wonder whether they have any label support at this point. are they even still contracted to universal? if axl is the one footing the recording bills, that would explain why they haven't been in a studio together.

i tend to believe the idea that he came to the label with a new album (whether it was chinese democracy with bonus tracks, or whatever) and they probably weren't interested, if only because of the experience they had with chinese democracy. it was sour all around. axl felt fucked, but they felt fucked by him (long gestation period, the lack of promotional material he did, etc.).

anyway...who knows...all speculation!

You have another album worth of killer tracks? Cool. Put em' out dude. Move the band forward. This isn't rocket science....

Is that easy, no? But honestly, those *supposedly* killer tracks were written by people that are no longer in the band. Don't you think the new guys (sans Ashba) deserve their moment to shine? If your answer is yes, then the new question should be: Why the fuck is not happening?

i honestly have to wonder whether they have any label support at this point. are they even still contracted to universal? if axl is the one footing the recording bills, that would explain why they haven't been in a studio together.

They aren't listed on interscope's or umg's site if that helps

If it turns out Axl had polyps on his vocal cords, I hope some of you would have the balls to apologize.

for what? Singing is his job

Don't be coy. People have said vicious, horrid, blisteringly disrespectful things about Axl and the cause of his voice. Now I admit, Axl might be in some form of denial about his voice. But what if the cause of his towelie voice is because he had operations on his vocal cords to remove polyps or nodules? If that turns out to be the case, then all the people who said his towelie voice is because he doesn't care or isn't trying should have the cojones to apologize for being such pricks about it. S'all I'm sayin.

Hard to tell... RIR 4 probably.

Yeah, that was a definite turning point. Leading up to RIR4, we were so hopeful that we were about to witness Axl ushering in a new era for Guns N' Roses, ultimately leading to the next album. What we did witness........wasn't that. :shrugs:

Edited by sofine11

I don't think Axl has ever stopped trying, anyone who has seen him live can attest to his love of being out there over the past 8 years. What seems to be the case is that his enthusiasm is occasionally dashed by his current physical and vocal ability to perform. He seems to have become more physically restricted as the years have done on. When I saw him in 2010 he ran and jumped around the stage like someone half his age, this year he looks way more cautious about what he does.

If it turns out Axl had polyps on his vocal cords, I hope some of you would have the balls to apologize.

Don't be coy. People have said vicious, horrid, blisteringly disrespectful things about Axl and the cause of his voice. Now I admit, Axl might be in some form of denial about his voice. But what if the cause of his towelie voice is because he had operations on his vocal cords to remove polyps or nodules? If that turns out to be the case, then all the people who said his towelie voice is because he doesn't care or isn't trying should have the cojones to apologize for being such pricks about it. S'all I'm sayin.

No one should apologize, people are paying to see him. If you can't deliver a good performance, be honest and say: "I can't do this shit anymore. I'm recovering from surgery and don't know when (or if) I'll perform again".

He's a fucking millionaire. Even if he's sick, there are tons of medical assistance and vocal training he can get to at lest sound decent. He's not interested, he doesn't give two fucks if his voice is sounding like a dying chicken. Just look at RIR4: the missing lyrics, the weight, the horrible voice...it's inexcusable.

Edited by realpoti
  • Like 2

Yeah, mid 2010 was when you could see a visible change in the vibe. But RIR4 was a very sobering experience where the reality of situation hit home for many of us. At that point, they'd taken 10 months off, and you figured that with all the unreleased material they had, and Axl previously had mentioned putting out the next record in a timely manner after Chinese that surely this would mark a step in that direction. At the very least, new songs would be played ushering in the new era, much like RIR3 10 years earlier. The fact that it was nothing more than another leg of the never ending Chi Dem tour was sooooo soooo disheartening. And it's still going....

Agreed, that the 2011 U.S. tour had some great moments. At that point, the states tour was a LONG time coming, so I believe he put on his A-Game for many of those shows. I would be more than happy to see him re-capture some of that energy, both vocally and performance wise.

So we easily we forget. The LA Forum proshot displayed subpar vocals. The New's Years pay-for and Chicago pay-for in early 2012 got worse.

Agreed, that the 2011 U.S. tour had some great moments. At that point, the states tour was a LONG time coming, so I believe he put on his A-Game for many of those shows. I would be more than happy to see him re-capture some of that energy, both vocally and performance wise.

So we easily we forget. The LA Forum proshot displayed subpar vocals. The New's Years pay-for and Chicago pay-for in early 2012 got worse.

I completely forgot there was a Chicago pro-shot! Watching a bit of Sorry, oof it's painful...

I remember on the boards at the time we got excited with The Filmore gig, think that was the one where he was feeling sick but sounded better than the previous UCAP shows. Improvement again at Silver Spring, and I couldn't believe my ears at Atlantic City, so much better than previous shows in 2011-12. Then he killed it at Philly, peak of 2011-2014.

You know, I may be oversimplifying, but I really believe that the chances of us getting a new album, let's say in the next year or so, really depends on Axl agreeing to meet the label half way in terms of marketing and promotion.

But before ANY of that can happen, he needs to have 12-14 songs mixed, mastered & ready to go. Sure, they have plenty of tracks to pick from, but have they been prepped for release? Does anyone see that happening soon? Unless A LOT of stuff is going on under the radar with Caram in terms of production, I'd say chances are slim.

Edit: Also, the fact that a good portion of the lineup have been acting sullen and depressed about the state of GNR does not bode well for anything on the release front happening in the foreseeable future. If that were the case, I would imagine they would at least pretend they were happy for the sake of maintaining decent PR leading up to a release. Wouldn't that be the professional thing to do?

At the Golden Gods Axl thanked "our producer Caram". To me that seemed a bit odd for a record that came out 5 years ago. I think they are working on something. It may not involve band members. There's a definite problem of having those 12-14 tracks from the CD era and a new band ready to record a new record. Lyrically and vocally that may cause more problems than the music the old or new guys lay down. CD seemed to capture that time in 2008 or was at least the document leading up to it's release. Those were the issues, that was deal. Axl setting the record straight etc.

But now, I'm not sure what they are trying to say. more of the same?

Right now it reminds me of that scene in American Gangster where Frank Lucas is just released from prison (CD) and he's standing outside the gates. Now they can just have fun.

I think translating that feeling of the live shows, the old and new, and getting that on to a record with the 3 different guitarists. That must be difficult. To make sure it doesn't sound like Bucket and Finck part 2. and then while they are occupied with that they sort of have to make a vital record. Something that actually is worth being a GNR record, not just something to give Dj or Ron a writing credit. But actually GNR fans care about.

I guess we'll get Jackie Chan, The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster, Seven, Thyme, Zodiac with new material from Fortus, Dj and Ron.

Given the material they talk about 3 and half albums worth. I'd say put out a Triple cd set. Something so mammoth it's impossible to really comprehend. That would clear the decks and be the final release of GNR. Then they can tour for the rest of time. Live in Vegas forever.

I'm tempted to say somewhere between CD being released against his wishes (or at least not in the way he wanted it out) and losing Finck. He might've sounded decent in 2010, but I think this was it.

Yeah, this is what I think too (not that I know)...also I don't think "still trying" and settling on DJ Ashba as a guitarist in your band called Guns N Roses go together all that well.

Wasn't Robin supposed to be his Randy Rhoads?

I know I pretty much wrote new GNR off creatively after Robin left....

Maybe Axl is still trying but is too blitzed on Prozac to realise he's not at the fight.

I was in a band with a guitar player who was cocooned in valium all the time, The dude would drive at 20 m.p.h. everywhere thinking he was at normal speed.

Axl could be the same way. That said, he should be off the stage and getting help. People have every right to slate his voice if they paid big bucks to see him and they got jack.

You know, I may be oversimplifying, but I really believe that the chances of us getting a new album, let's say in the next year or so, really depends on Axl agreeing to meet the label half way in terms of marketing and promotion.

But before ANY of that can happen, he needs to have 12-14 songs mixed, mastered & ready to go. Sure, they have plenty of tracks to pick from, but have they been prepped for release? Does anyone see that happening soon? Unless A LOT of stuff is going on under the radar with Caram in terms of production, I'd say chances are slim.

Agreed

Edited by gavgnr

Interestingly enough, in that new interview put out yesterday, DJ seems to be back-peddling a bit. Instead of his usual touting of the"10 demos" he sent Axl, he's now falling back on the "three albums" worth of material they recorded during the Chinese sessions that they're planning to sift through during the Vegas residency to decide what would make the next best GNR album. Seems like logic may prevail, however unlikely a release still may be.

"Everybody in the band has songs put together and even before I joined the band, they had recorded about three albums worth of material. There's a shit ton of songs already recorded. Collectively as a band we have been sorting and sifting through."

Denied.

This is a longstanding problem with our man here. Never say shit about shit, then get your panties in a twist when "lies" are spread.

Put yourself in his spot. You see story after story and mention after mention of something you know to be untrue. Why the sudden laryngitis? Correct the record.

I think he still had that drive until Robin left the band. Losing Buckethead hurt big time, but once Robin left the band I think Axl realized that he could not complete his vision of what GNR was to become. I think he chose DJ to join the band because he knew he has little flight risk.

Agreed. I think the 2001-06 lineup was the GNR Axl wanted. He was a legitimate fan of Robin & Buckethead, and they obviously inspired Axl to write, record (three albums) and eventually release music. I think that drive was still there in 06 & 07 because Axl and Robin were tight both onstage and creatively. Not to mention Axl was still an absolute beast onstage during that time. Whereas this lineup is one he had to settle for, when said guitarists walked away. Can't entirely blame him for that. What I can blame him for, is keeping the rest of the material he recorded with Chinese Democracy lineup buried for no real good reason.

Edited by sofine11

Somewhere around 2010/11. Rio 4 was pivotal - that was the date when everyone went, ''what the fuck happened?'' I actually think it might be the day he hired Team Brazil.

Definitely. Back then, when the 2010 tour was over I was expecting a better Axl Rose for Rio 2011. :lol:

It was a very 'what the fuck?' moment for me and my friends.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

He was always trying to tour Chinese, he got a few preliminary tours then he got the mother of all world tours for it straight after the record dropped, he performed eventually to an unbelievable intensity and then he got a colossal chance to come in with months of jamming and creating with the band who were rock solid and capable of furthering his vision and BAM the mythical illusion shattered - it was a shell of what had just came before + a dazzling raincoat and Estranged. With a few good performances and Civil War and an old bassist coming back for a bit, the whole battle has shrank and Axl seems a ghost sometimes caught in a strange purgatory where only money changes.

The real question is; what the hell happened to him after the world tour and before Rio 2011?