Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Anyone watching? And if you are, what do you think of it?

Watched the first two and I thought the first was underwhelming but the second was a little better. I do think its too much like The Daily Show, as expected, and that as this is the 2nd spinoff its getting a little much. If anything, these shows make me realize how much of a genius Jon Stewart is for pioneering this new format. Admittedly, I found the death penalty/hamster reward story pretty funny in the second episode.

I don't know. To me it basically seems like The Daily Show on HBO, when that doesn't really seem needed.

I don't have HBO, so I haven't watched it. Gotta find a torrent for the first 2 episodes.

I love John Oliver though, so I'm excited to see it no matter how similar it is to the Daily Show. I saw him do a stand up show a few months ago and it was the best stand up show I've ever seen.

• 1 month later...

I've been posting a clip a week on my Facebook page. So much gold on his show.

The format is great, because it allows Oliver to do what he did on The Daily Show but with no concern for commercial time. This means segments can be as long as they need to be (within 30 minutes).

The latest clip on Dr. Oz and dietary supplements is great:

Also really loved his clip on FIFA:

love the show, jon oliver is awesome. i wish the whole colbert thing would have happened sooner so oliver could have taken his spot though.

I'm sure Comedy Central would agree with you. I use to be of that opinion as well, but honestly, I'm now happy that Oliver moved to HBO.

Oliver wouldn't get to do 16 minute long monologues on one topic like he does on his HBO show. Even if commercial times weren't a factor, it would likely be tough to do a well done 13-16 minute segment on a nightly basis. Giving him and his team a week (or however long they take to write these bits) allows them to work the material so that most of the segment is great. I didn't think there was anymore room for another political-entertainment-like show, but after seeing what Oliver is doing, I'm glad he made the move to HBO.

Edited by downzy

At first I thought the same thing as the OP.

But after watching it each week the show keeps getting better and better, sure it's the same format as the Daily Show but once a week, which allows Oliver to have a lot more material to work with and more time for the writers to get some great jokes out there, so in some ways I think it makes me laugh more than the Daily Show.

love the show, jon oliver is awesome. i wish the whole colbert thing would have happened sooner so oliver could have taken his spot though.

I'm sure Comedy Central would agree with you. I use to be of that opinion as well, but honestly, I'm now happy that Oliver moved to HBO.

Oliver wouldn't get to do 16 minute long monologues on one topic like he does on his HBO show. Even if commercial times weren't a factor, it would likely be tough to do a well done 13-16 minute segment on a nightly basis. Giving him and his team a week (or however long they take to write these bits) allows them to work the material so that most of the segment is great. I didn't think there was anymore room for another political-entertainment-like show, but after seeing what Oliver is doing, I'm glad he made the move to HBO.

yeah i can see your point. whatever channel oliver is on, he is awesome and just kills it. hbo just does a great job on many things. bill maher is also great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, in case anyone missed the episode two weeks ago on Televangelism, here's the long segment:

I had to find out what happened if I sent money to Our Lady Of Perpetual Exemption. I sent $20 (After reading on the website that all the money will actually go to Doctors Without Borders), and I had this waiting in my mailbox yesterday:

11949438_1181908361825193_70957606699657

11951823_1181908375158525_75193982756371

11924962_1181908441825185_71389900503968

11960040_1181908458491850_56827567340371

• Like 4