Forum Changes - Merging Discussion and News, Side Projects and the Slash section

highvoltage

Been saying this for years. Merge these sections, mod a little more carefully (I mean in terms of keeping discussions on-topic and limiting insults, not increasing the locking of threads and disappearing of posts).

Seems like you guys are planning to do this pretty much perfectly. Kudos.

I think it's a good idea. It's annoying to have to click into different forums to get to sub-forums to more sub-forums to boards, especially on mobile. Just put 'em all in one place and if someone doesn't want to read a particular thread, they don't have to. I skip lots of threads that don't interest me. You'll always have people who whine no matter what you do.

• Like 2

Look, if it all goes pear shaped and it's not working in a month, we won't be too proud to tuck the tail between the legs and go back to the old format.

We're going to give this a genuine shot though, and I'll be surprised if it hasn't all settled down in a few weeks' time. People generally don't like change, and it's going to feel weird seeing threads you're not used to in the main section at the start. Once people stop making threads about obscure members like Gary Sunshine or Paul Tobias (not that they couldn't with the old format?), it will get better.

Maybe we have special rules for certain bands like NIN to strike a balance? We need to see what works and what doesn't first though.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/203446-slashs-third-album/?p=3754151

let's face it this is a good thing, most the threads in there are recycled same old stuff. when the band becomes active those threads will dominate the section or if there's anything newsworthy to talk about those will be the most active threads.

I'm still slightly bummed that I'm going to miss the thread about Izzy's new album (for example) because it'll sink down.

I'd prefer to still have a subsection that focuses exclusively on non-GnR releases and tours by GnR members past and present.

It won't be big or busy. But it will help provide valuable information to those interested in it.

Because let's face it - Discussing Believe In Me or a Dizzy solo show in the main section just doesn't make sense.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

I don't like this. I come here mainly for Slash news, and don't want to wade through threads about the nu-gnr lineup. It was nice to have Slash news all in one place, with mostly Slash fans. That sub-forum was a nice little place. Granted I didn't come here everyday, but I thought it worked well. It may not have seemed busy if you were an every day poster, but I thought it got steady comments from some regulars and fans who probably checked in every so often. Now everything is jumbled in the main section, it's easy to miss something, posts get lost, and Slash threads are just going to attract angry nu-gnr fans.

I personally am SICK of the Axl vs Slash debate. This is not good. I was actually looking forward to the release of his new album, and probably would have become more active during this album cycle, as I'm sure other Slash fans who lurk a lot would have. But now I'm not sure.

I liked that you could come here after a month, and see all the Slash news for that period in one place. That you could easily connect with other Slash fans, as well as check in on other aspects of GNR. That's all now lost.

• Like 1

Not a fan. The main D&N area is just way too cluttered now. I've been a fan of pretty much every other change that's been made over the past year or so, but I'm having trouble getting on board with this one.

I just have a feeling that the "Gary Sunshine"-esque threads will never go away and that people will keep bumping them to the top for a laugh. It's easier to keep all of that in its own separate forum.

Just my 2 cents.

It suck arse how hard is it to get a mod in the slash section what a piss week excuse. This is what happen on gnrevolution Will fucked with the lay out and everone got the shits and left its a ghost town about 3 people post there now.

Edited by Gibbo 27

I'm still slightly bummed that I'm going to miss the thread about Izzy's new album (for example) because it'll sink down.

I'd prefer to still have a subsection that focuses exclusively on non-GnR releases and tours by GnR members past and present.

It won't be big or busy. But it will help provide valuable information to those interested in it.

Because let's face it - Discussing Believe In Me or a Dizzy solo show in the main section just doesn't make sense.

Again, we'll go back to it if things aren't working after a while.

I tend to think a thread about Izzy's new album will do pretty well, but we'll see I suppose.

I tend to think a thread about Izzy's new album will do pretty well, but we'll see I suppose.

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass here. But how exactly can you even determine that? Doing well? What will basically happen is that threads that are interesting for specific small groups of fans will get buried and will get less posts than they do now. Which I think is a shame. The main section itself won't become less busy. Yes, stupid cupcake threads will get buried more easily as well. I understand the problem you're trying to solve with this, but this solution (in my opinion) ruins more good things than it solves problems.

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass here. But how exactly can you even determine that? Doing well? What will basically happen is that threads that are interesting for specific small groups of fans will get buried and will get less posts than they do now. Which I think is a shame. The main section itself won't become less busy. Yes, stupid troll threads will get buried more easily as well. I understand the problem you're trying to solve with this, but this solution (in my opinion) ruins more good things than it solves problems.

How exactly can you even determine that? Err... Gee, how about looking at the number of views/replies threads get on average vs what they were getting in the subforum? There is plenty of evidence to use to observe the effect of the changes over time. If those threads aren't staying up on the front page, and they're getting buried quickly or overrun by trolls it should be easy to see, and I would consider the change a failure. If they're getting more views and replies than they used to, and we've maintained the right tone I'd consider the change a success. You say you "know" what will happen - but nobody really "knows" until we've tried it for long enough to really see.

You're acknowledging that those sections were good for specific small groups of fans - I'd place emphasis on small, because those forums were only attracting a handful of posts a day, if that at times. I first thought about this months ago, and I've been paying a lot more attention to the activity levels since. It just wasn't there. To the people saying the change was unnecessary, I ask you this.... How would D&N look in 12-18 months time if we didn't do something like this? Will people still be coming back to discuss another leg of the tour, or the length of Axl's facial hair? And if D&N were to die out, do you think Side Projects, or the Slash subforums would still have any activity at all? Think about it man.

If we want this place to have a future, we have to try different things when it's clear the current path leads to a dead end. I don't want to paint some picture of doom and gloom (because we're not there at all), and I'll personally restore those sub-forums if people are unhappy overall in a month or so -- but I don't want to wait until we lose momentum to change things up. Similarly, if GN'R were to release some new music or do something different, we'd go back to the old format without thinking twice.

Personally, I don't want the future of the site to hinge on whether Axl decides to get out of bed in the morning - because if he keeps hitting the "snooze" button, this place will end up going back to sleep too.

It suck arse how hard is it to get a mod in the slash section what a piss week excuse. This is what happen on gnrevolution Will fucked with the lay out and everone got the shits and left its a ghost town about 3 people post there now.

Good idea. And please, make Slash2baz a media member! He deserves it!

• Like 1

I'm sorry to be a pain in the ass here. But how exactly can you even determine that? Doing well? What will basically happen is that threads that are interesting for specific small groups of fans will get buried and will get less posts than they do now. Which I think is a shame. The main section itself won't become less busy. Yes, stupid cupcake threads will get buried more easily as well. I understand the problem you're trying to solve with this, but this solution (in my opinion) ruins more good things than it solves problems.

How exactly can you even determine that? Err... Gee, how about looking at the number of views/replies threads get on average vs what they were getting in the subforum? There is plenty of evidence to use to observe the effect of the changes over time. If those threads aren't staying up on the front page, and they're getting buried quickly or overrun by cupcakes it should be easy to see, and I would consider the change a failure. If they're getting more views and replies than they used to, and we've maintained the right tone I'd consider the change a success. You say you "know" what will happen - but nobody really "knows" until we've tried it for long enough to really see.

You're acknowledging that those sections were good for specific small groups of fans - I'd place emphasis on small, because those forums were only attracting a handful of posts a day, if that at times. I first thought about this months ago, and I've been paying a lot more attention to the activity levels since. It just wasn't there. To the people saying the change was unnecessary, I ask you this.... How would D&N look in 12-18 months time if we didn't do something like this? Will people still be coming back to discuss another leg of the tour, or the length of Axl's facial hair? And if D&N were to die out, do you think Side Projects, or the Slash subforums would still have any activity at all? Think about it man.

If we want this place to have a future, we have to try different things when it's clear the current path leads to a dead end. I don't want to paint some picture of doom and gloom (because we're not there at all), and I'll personally restore those sub-forums if people are unhappy overall in a month or so -- but I don't want to wait until we lose momentum to change things up. Similarly, if GN'R were to release some new music or do something different, we'd go back to the old format without thinking twice.

Personally, I don't want the future of the site to hinge on whether Axl decides to get out of bed in the morning - because if he keeps hitting the "snooze" button, this place will end up going back to sleep too.

They only get a hand full of post coz theres no crap like nugnr half the shit is fighting over nothing. If axl and his band werent such a fuck up this shit wouldnt happen

They only get a hand full of post coz theres no crap like nugnr half the shit is fighting over nothing. If axl and his band werent such a fuck up this shit wouldnt happen

Well at least we agree on something. :lol:

Well thats what 90 % of it is this shit, doesn't happen in the slash section coz we dont have anything to complain about Slash doesn't fuck up everthing he does like axl and his mummy

Edited by Gibbo 27

I'm not a fan of the new format. It should be kept to current members and classic era members. Having Gary Sunshine and Paul Huge appreciation threads in the main forum is rediculous. Look at it from an outside perspective, that's like going to an Aerosmith forum and reading a bunch of Jimmy Crespo appreciation topics. People will be like wtf??? I just think it is going to create more problems than it solves.

I'm not a fan of the new format. It should be kept to current members and classic era members. Having Gary Sunshine and Paul Huge appreciation threads in the main forum is rediculous. Look at it from an outside perspective, that's like going to an Aerosmith forum and reading a bunch of Jimmy Crespo appreciation topics. People will be like wtf??? I just think it is going to create more problems than it solves.

I completely agree that the threads about meaningless members are dumb - but let's be fair here, it's obvious that those were created as a silly reaction to the changes.

The old format would have allowed people to make those exact same threads in Discussion and News man. Ignore them, and they'll drop off shortly.