Felt Forum, New York 1988 [audience shot video]

The post about the Noblesville gig got me thinking about old shows that stand out to me and the show that I find myself always loving is this one. It isn't pro-shot and the audio is audience recorded but the moments captured from this concert are just pure magic. This is one of my all time favorites, even topping the Ritz show for me and really captures the energy and musicality that the Appetite for Destruction lineup had.

• Like 3

So we don't get too many of these threads too quickly... one thing I was thinking we could do is a "Show of the week" type thing, where each week we create and pin a thread each week.

It could be an old show (new or old lineup), post the setlist, some pics, info and (hopefully) a full video.

Anyone like this idea? We could organise it so a member gets to pick the show and create the thread each week.

Yeah I am for this! I just saw the other thread and thought that these types of show-centered discussions are refreshing to have and fun to talk about :)

• Like 1

I think they're fun too, and I want a way for people to be able to post them without cluttering the main section too much. I made a post about it in Ask Admin, anyone that wants to discuss it can do so there.

This is a great show BTW. Rocket Queen is one of the highlights for me.

Interviewer: When I saw you, you were improvising madly, Slash was really working out, Axl was dancing around all while Steven and Duff were plugging away seemingly in their own world. Yet at a certain point, you five stopped on a dime!

Izzy: It's amazing to me. That night at the Felt Forum in New York when you saw us was a particularly good night. I mean, sometimes we make bad mistakes onstage too. I remember in the old days we'd go so nuts we'd fall right off the stage. Sometimes we'd jump off the stage on purpose. You can't stay too tight when you do that!

Interviewer: I saw kids getting crunched up to the foot of the stage and having to be rescued by security guards. I saw kids hurling themselves on top of other people right in front of you. Does that happen at every gig?

Izzy: Oh, that was one of the more mellow gigs. In Europe, it's like a football game. Kids are flying through the air and landing on stage all the time.

Interviewer: How can you keep playing?

Izzy: It's not easy. Many times I'll be playing and some big kid will be hurtling through the air at 100 miles per hour right at me. I can't imagine what that must look like from the audience. But I'm sure it adds an excitement to the show. When these kids go flying past me and I never see it coming, it gives me a rush of adrenalin like you wouldn't believe.

Interviewer: That's downright dangerous!

Izzy: Sure it is. But it's also on the edge and that's what makes good rock 'n' roll.

Interviewer: That's what I like too. You never know what's gonna happen at a Guns N' Roses concert.

Izzy: We don't even know ourselves from one minute to the next. We don't even use a songlist anymore.

Interviewer: When Axl rode that bicycle across the stage, people freaked!

Izzy: I had no idea he would do that. It caught me by surprise [superstar facts, Interview with Izzy, 1988]

Axl: In New York I was late to the show at the Felt Forum because I'd passed out after drinking Nightrain and doing an MTV interview. I showered, did my vocal exercises and got dressed within 15 minutes and went to the gig. We got out of an $8,000 overtime debt because the barricades that separate the fans from the stage were set up wrong, and by the time they'd fixed it, I'd gotten there and everything was cool [Rip Magazine, April 1989].

• Like 3

Thanks for posting, OP! I had never seen that concert before. I'm not even halfway through now and wow... Some highlights: I liked Patience a lot, it was 'softer' than it's usually done live, a bit more like the album version IMO. I always like Out Ta Get Me a lot too. And I got goosebumps when Axl did the opening scream to Jungle. I am looking forward to seeing the rest when I have the time.

So we don't get too many of these threads too quickly... one thing I was thinking we could do is a "Show of the week" type thing, where each week we create and pin a thread on a concert each week.

It could be a new or old lineup show, post the setlist, some pics, any trivia/info and (hopefully) a full video.

Anyone like this idea? We could organise it so a member gets to pick the show and create the thread each week. I think people might enjoy it?

Great idea! :headbang:

On topic: I think this is in the top5 shows in the AFD lineup era and definitely the TOP 10 the classic era and TOP 15 overall

Zakk Wylde was in the audience that night, he mentioned in an interview lately

I wish a pro shot or a better recording popped up someday

Edited by Crash Diet

Man I wish I was at that show!

I've seen many bands at the Felt Forum in NYC. I bet that was an awesome show!

This venue is around the corner from Madison Square Garden. It was a nice place. Not too big and not too small. If I remember, it had great sound too.