Robin Finck with Nine Inch Nails

Broskirose

Saw Robin with NIN some months ago at Lollapalooza Brazil. It was impressive. I think the only stage production that could top NIN was AC/DC. And AC/DC was appealing with lots of fire, shots and smoke.

While NIN was truly a music + light experience. Something beyond. I had never seen anything like that. I was and still am amazed. What a concert, guys. What a concert.

• Like 2

Saw Robin with NIN some months ago at Lollapalooza Brazil. It was impressive. I think the only stage production that could top NIN was AC/DC. And AC/DC was appealing with lots of fire, shots and smoke.

While NIN was truly a music + light experience. Something beyond. I had never seen anything like that. I was and still am amazed. What a concert, guys. What a concert.

how was robin's musical performance to you at Lollapalooza Brazil? did it bring back guns memories?

Robin was shit on from a height when he was in the band. He was hated. Not without reason, he butchered the old material. I don't care if it was "his take" because it plain sucked and sounded terrible. People have short memories around here. Saying that he is no DJ Ashba and I'd gladly take him back if it meant Ashba had to go. Hardly a glowing endorsement though.

• Like 1

Robin was shit on from a height when he was in the band. He was hated. Not without reason, he butchered the old material. I don't care if it was "his take" because it plain sucked and sounded terrible. People have short memories around here. Saying that he is no DJ Ashba and I'd gladly take him back if it meant Ashba had to go. Hardly a glowing endorsement though.

I completely agree. Like i'd said earlier in the thread, back when Robin was in the band, he absolutely butchered the old material and his solo spots were awful; a lot of people forget the bashing he used to receive on here. It was bad.

I will say this though. He has talent. I just don't think GNR was for him. I remember when Fortus and Finck covered Beautiful at the gig in Dublin. You could audibly hear a laugh going through the crowd. I am not going to blame Robin for that but it leads to my next point.

Axl did a horrible job of marketing the new band to the public. It just did not work. People wanted GNR, new line-up or otherwise. What they got was a freakshow with a fairly radical departure in sound on the new songs.

The public just didn't expect it, and when they got it they weren't ready and didn't know what to make of it.

GNR had an iconic image and sound. Trying to take that name and make it something else under a new line-up is one of the most bone headed stupid decisions in the history of rock n' roll.

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 1

I will say this though. He has talent. I just don't think GNR was for him. I remember when Fortus and Finck covered Beautiful at the gig in Dublin. You could audibly hear a laugh going through the crowd. I am not going to blame Robin for that but it leads to my next point.

Axl did a horrible job of marketing the new band to the public. It just did not work. People wanted GNR, new line-up or otherwise. What they got was a freakshow with a fairly radical departure in sound on the new songs.

The public just didn't expect it, and when they got it they weren't ready and didn't know what to make of it.

GNR had an iconic image and sound. Trying to take that name and make it something else under a new line-up is one of the most bone headed stupid decisions in the history of rock n' roll.

i think gnr was and is for robin finck. chinese democracy, street of dreams, better, irs, madagascar, there was a time, catcher in the rye, and this i love and a truck load of unreleased guns songs tell me guns n roses is for robin. the rock n rio robin sings sosseggo leading into a perfectly played slash riff on sweet child o mine Live in front of a massive brazillian crowd tells me gnr is for robin too

i liked the beautiful solo robin did with richie. i like robin's exhilerating solo from new jersey too. when robin had the jesus beard with no gothic makeup on

axl chose not to market gnr when robin was there. you can't blame robin or say it was robin's choice. and robin is back in nin. but i don't know why robin is back in nin. robin has yet to speak publicly on why he left gnr in 2008 just before chinese was about to released in bestbuy as a cd form for nin. but marketing isn't robin's fault. robin isn't involved in marketing

but robin wasn't and isn't a freakshow. neither was or is buckethead. they're not freaks. they're talented guitar players who did the heavy lifting in the studio when slash and duff weren't around. slash and duff picked up their balls and went home. meanwhile, robin and buckethead picked up the heavy metal balls and went to work for axl rose in the studio on the future. on chinese songs like this i love, there was a time, if the world, and prositute

and it wasn't a departure because songs like there was a time, this i love, catcher in the rye, if the world, better, irs, madagascar, street of dreams, and prostitute sound just like UY1 and UY2. the difference is robin and bucket taking the gnr sound FURTHER and BIGGER

the fans weren't ready because the fans love and always love the gnr classics. and they always love slash and duff MOST. the fans stand behind appetite, lies, illusions, and spaghetti instead of standing behind chinese. it's not robin's or bucket's fault. because robin and bucket stand behind CHINESE songs

and axl could have pulled off the chinese vison of taking over the rock n' roll world if he was able to keep the 2002 gnr band together featuring robin, bucket, stinson, fortus, and brain. and if axl could have kept the 2006 guns band together featuring robin, bumble, stinson, fortus, and brain too. guns kept changing and a guns band post slash and duff couldn't stay together. shit happens

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trend Alert: Nine Inch Nails

15240180351_31865260eb_c.jpg

It’s a rule…to be a rock star in a band; you need to have rockin’ hair. Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails is no stranger to unique and rebel hairdos, we’ve been working together for 12 years and we’ve never had a boring look yet!

Finck changes his look all the time and is very edgy and smart about what he wants. For the Hollywood Bowl event we wanted something completely different. If you’ve ever seen Finck perform he has a very particular stage presence. His movements are in tandem with the music, and we wanted his hair to take on the same attitude and aura. I just happen to really understand his mind and the kind of style he wants.

http://www.modernsalon.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-274934001.html

The true Finck litmus test will come when he drops that solo album on us. I'm really excited about the idea of him singing too, he can roar.

Remember Sossego?

Lest we forget the awesome riffs and licks on the Ghosts of Mars OST, too. I remember reading that's actually where him and Bucket became buddies. Prior, they hadn't shared any studio time together because the sessions were done individually.

Love Siege!

• Like 1

Kind of off topic, but has anyone else ever noticed the similarities between Jarmo and Rob Sheridan? In that they both started out as superfans and made websites in the 90s that got them an official position with their bands. Only Rob Sheridan is fucking awesome and Jarmo is...well, Jarmo.

With the Hesitation Marks tour cycle at an end the next thing to look forward to NIN related (that we know of) is the Tension Blu-ray which I am really excited for.

Some pics...

tumblr_n95x1og9aX1ssimu4o2_1280.jpg

15056363929_416c3ef91c_o.png

tumblr_n9wm35QpOf1ssimu4o3_1280.jpg

15057039408_bbd4a305c1_c.jpg

15243670775_eb8227316e_c.jpg

15243283272_a8c63ea486_c.jpg

tumblr_n5mnsvpDni1ssimu4o2_1280.jpg

Trend Alert: Nine Inch Nails

15240180351_31865260eb_c.jpg

It’s a rule…to be a rock star in a band; you need to have rockin’ hair. Robin Finck of Nine Inch Nails is no stranger to unique and rebel hairdos, we’ve been working together for 12 years and we’ve never had a boring look yet!

Finck changes his look all the time and is very edgy and smart about what he wants. For the Hollywood Bowl event we wanted something completely different. If you’ve ever seen Finck perform he has a very particular stage presence. His movements are in tandem with the music, and we wanted his hair to take on the same attitude and aura. I just happen to really understand his mind and the kind of style he wants.

http://www.modernsalon.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-274934001.html

Is that for real :lol:

"Very edgy and smart"

I didn't know that looking like Dr. Frank N Furter's boyfriend qualified as "very edgy and smart"

:lol:

I'm gonna check out the last Nails record soon, I've been listening to everything except that and Ghosts for a couple years now, favourite is a toss up between The Fragile and With Teeth. The Slip was decent but doesn't pack the same punch then again it's a different NIN again and I respect that.

The Slip is an underrated work of genius imo. Very distinct odd sound to it. Nice to draw comparisons to ChiDem as well. Both were released in 2008 and featured contributions by Freese and Finck yet they were recorded in drastically different circumstances.

The Slip was recorded and released in three weeks for free and void of any label interference. Their previous studio album was only two months old.

Chinese Democracy was recorded over 14 years, a massive budget, a multitude of musicians and released with an exclusive Best Buy deal. Their previous studio albums was 17 years old.

They're polarizing opposites, yet they share two band members and the year of release.

Kind of off topic, but has anyone else ever noticed the similarities between Jarmo and Rob Sheridan? In that they both started out as superfans and made websites in the 90s that got them an official position with their bands. Only Rob Sheridan is fucking awesome and Jarmo is...well, Jarmo.

With the Hesitation Marks tour cycle at an end the next thing to look forward to NIN related (that we know of) is the Tension Blu-ray which I am really excited for.

Some pics...

tumblr_n95x1og9aX1ssimu4o2_1280.jpg

15056363929_416c3ef91c_o.png

tumblr_n9wm35QpOf1ssimu4o3_1280.jpg

15057039408_bbd4a305c1_c.jpg

15243670775_eb8227316e_c.jpg

15243283272_a8c63ea486_c.jpg

tumblr_n5mnsvpDni1ssimu4o2_1280.jpg

haha good burn on jarmo, rob sheriden is like a genius, and sweet pics

• Like 1

Never really been a fan of NIN, liked some songs but in general naah. But I watched a live show of theirs on TV the other night and it was really really good! Good energy, great band, songs I never heard before but liked a lot of them right away... And as for Robin, he was superb! Superb playing, fits NIN perfectly and great backin vocals as well. Good stuff, gotta catch em live.

Edited by Teroz
  • Like 1

This multicam edit of the debut performance of All the Love in the World from last year is amazing. Robin is awesome on backing vocals here but really the whole band was on fire. Ilan is just killing it on the drums and Lisa and Sharlotte's vocals are awesome.

3:28 onwards is just pure bliss. This was the greatest lineup NIN ever had and my personal favorite lineup of any band.

Never really been a fan of NIN, liked some songs but in general naah. But I watched a live show of theirs on TV the other night and it was really really good! Good energy, great band, songs I never heard before but liked a lot of them right away... And as for Robin, he was superb! Superb playing, fits NIN perfectly and great backin vocals as well. Good stuff, gotta catch em live.

Cool man, I'm guessing you saw the Austin City Limits special right?

They just wrapped up this latest cycle of touring last month and Reznor was making tons of comments about it being the last time they toured for a while. At one of the shows I attended he even suggested they may not be coming back. But he's made comments like this before. I mean they even had a farewell tour in 2009 but that obviously didn't last. So I'm sure he'll be back at some point.

Edited by Broskirose