Record sales reach a shocking low.

Towelie

Can you name any album from a rock band that was formed in the 2000s+ that will be remembered as a timeless classic, in the same light as Abby Road, Who's Next, Paranoid, Nevermind, etc?

Easily

• Like 1

Can you name any album from a rock band that was formed in the 2000s+ that will be remembered as a timeless classic, in the same light as Abby Road, Who's Next, Paranoid, Nevermind, etc?

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Sound of Silver(that's being a little generous on my part. It's more of a cult classic)

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Yoshima Battles The Pink Robots

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

I think those will be looked back on fondly. Especially Hot Fuss, Good News For People Who Love Bad News, The Black Parade, and Elephant.

• Like 2

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Sound of Silver(that's being a little generous on my part. It's more of a cult classic)

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

I think those will be looked back on fondly. Especially Hot Fuss, Good News For People Who Love Bad News, The Black Parade, and Elephant.

Not even close to the level that the albums mentioned originally were one.

• Like 1

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

Not yet. But some of those classics weren't that popular in their time either.

Only time will tell which groups and albums stand the test of time, and the ones I've named have done pretty well, especially the ones I listed at the end, who are still very popular a decade later.

• Like 2

Scratch Pinkerton. It's from the 90s, I forgot.

And yeah, tons and tons of phenomenal records have been put out in the past decade. I think most of them will lie dormant, but I bet some of the ones I named will age quite well.

I think some albums like In the Aeroplane Over the Sea will reach Nevermimd the Bollocks or Doolittle levels of success. Very very important albums but not nearly as 'big' as Nevermind fame.

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

Of that list only Rated R is, IMO, a truly great album.

Some good stuff on this list, but nothing on here is as nearly as memorable or touches the greatness as something like Led Zeppelin IV or Paranoid.

Seriously, in 20 years, will Hot Fuss be seen in the same light as AFD, LZ4 or Dark Side of the Moon?

I don't need Doc Brown and Mary to tell me that the answer is hell no.

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

Some good stuff on this list, but nothing on here is as nearly as memorable or touches the greatness as something like Led Zeppelin IV or Paranoid.

Seriously, in 20 years, will Hot Fuss be seen in the same light as AFD, LZ4 or Dark Side of the Moon?

Maybe. Like I said, some of those albums did poorly in their time and grew to success.

And yeah, some of those albums I don't even like, but then again there are some 'classic' albums I don't like. I'm just going off of what albums I can think of that almost everyone in my generation has heard and are usually agreed upon as being 'great'. Plus their critical and commercial success.

Do you think Elephant could reach AFD levels of timelessness?

Edited by LiveFromNormal

There are plenty of fantastic records that have been released since 2000.

Pretty much every album that I love from the 2000s+ is from a band that was formed in the 60s-90s. Like I said, no recent rock band has released an album that has touched the greatness as the established classics.

Pretty much every album that I love from the 2000s+ is from a band that was formed in the 60s-90s. Like I said, no recent rock band has released an album that has touched the greatness as the established classics.
Oh I think plenty have. I just listed albums that I think will retain their fame.

There are tons of albums that I think stand up to classic bands that I didn't name just because I don't think they'll end up as famous. Music and fame don't really work the same way in this generation as they used to. Their is an over saturation of music and the industry moves a lot faster.

That's kindof a bummer that you rely on older artists for new music when their is phenomal new music made by new bands every month. PM me and maybe I can give you a list of some enjoyable rock music.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

Maybe. Like I said, some of those albums did poorly in their time and grew to success.

I don't think so. I like Elephant and I dig Jack White/The White Stripes. But really, how many Jack White songs can the average person name? There's "Seven Nation Army" and that's about it. I think that there's a LOT of hype around good, but not great artists like The Black Keys and Jack White because the rock genre is on life support. I mean, Vampire Weekend's last album was ranked by many publications as the best album of 2013 for fuck's sake.

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

I don't think so. I like Elephant and I dig Jack White/The White Stripes. But really, how many Jack White songs can the average person name? There's "Seven Nation Army" and that's about it. I think that there's a LOT of hype around good, but not great artists like The Black Keys and Jack White because the rock genre is on life support. I mean, Vampire Weekend's last album was ranked by many publications as the best album of 2013 for fuck's sake.
I'd agree with most of those publications, it was a fantastic album. :shrugs:

Oh I think plenty have. I just listed albums that I think will retain their fame.

There are tons of albums that I think stand up to classic bands that I didn't name just because I don't think they'll end up as famous. Music and fame don't really work the same way in this generation as they used to. Their is an over saturation of music and the industry moves a lot faster.

That's kindof a bummer that you rely on older artists for new music when their is phenomal new music made by new bands every month. PM me and maybe I can give you a list of some enjoyable rock music.

You seem like a good dude, I just don't like any new bands I guess, which makes me old and cranky, but so be it.

Yeah well, the established classics are...classics. Kind of unfair to compare albums from established acts that have had decades to gather appreciation to something released in the last 14 years.

There are a lot of bands formed since 2000 that have released great records.

Arcade Fire

The Black Angles

The Antlers

Arctic Monkeys

Black Moth Super Rainbow

Foxygen

White Denim

How To Destroy Angles

Sleepy Sun

Wild Nothing

Unknown Mortal Orchestra

to name some

• Like 1

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

To each his own, because I thought that it was boring as shit. Vampire Weekend play middle-of-the-road anemic, hipster bullshit to 20-somethings who know nothing about rock.

Easily

Such as?
Brothers

Icky Thump

Elephant

Is This It?

Hot Fuss

Rated R

Pinkerton

The Black Parade

Contra

Super Massive Black Hole

Broken Boy Soldier

To each his own, because I thought that it was boring as shit. Vampire Weekend play middle-of-the-road anemic, hipster bullshit to 20-somethings who know nothing about rock.
Mhm, they are a pretentious hipster indie college kid band. But Nirvana was kinda like that too, just a little more heavy handed.

I honestly thought Diane Young was a universally like able song, it's got some bluesy vibes. But I'm a 20 something college kid and indie fanatic, so I mostly just interact with my subculture, so I know a lot of people who really love the record and frequent a few bars that play it.

Actually a lot of people I know dig classic rock, I think it's unfair for people to say hipsters don't dig bands like Zeppelin Pink Floyd or Nirvana, I'd like to think a lot of my friends are very wide spread in their taste of music, especially since it's so accessible. Most of us had dads that raised us on classic rock.

I mean here I am on a GNR forum, two or three years after I stopped listening to them. I really appreciate being raised on those bands because they were a stepping stone for me to enter a wider view of music.

I post a lot about hating these sorts of 'dad rock bands' but hate isn't accurate. I think I just don't think it's fair to be dismissive of new music, it's not that the indie scene is bad, or worse than what we've been given in the past... It's just very young and very different and pushing forward.

In a way music culture is sortof a sentient hive mind that evolves and flows in the direction of the political and social culture surrounding it. I think those albums speak to my generation as loudly as Nevermind, AFD, Led Zeppelin's catalog, and other classics did for older generations.

I guess it's hard to relate to music that isn't directly applicable to past generations. You kinda had the same thing in the past, parents freaking out about their kids spinning LZ or GNR or Elvis even.

That's something I guess I won't know til I'm older. And that thought is terrifying to me.

Edited by LiveFromNormal