Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

Muddy Waters Anthology - 1947-1972

Did I ever tell you how much I LOVE Mr Mckinley Morganfield?  He's the baddest motherfucker (or one of) to ever play the guitar.  I'm sure some guitar afficianado will climb up my arse over that statement but come get some cuz I can back up every word, Muddy was a fuckin' G, like BB King he has you hanging on every note, pure fuckin' class in a glass, Mississippi meets Chicago, as good a shout as any as the best electric blues player I ever heard in my life, I've heard a MILLION versions of Catfish Blues but no one, not one body, not even the great Jimi (though he wasn't trying to to be fair) makes it sound like Muddy.  Shit, that original recording is so good that even Muddy doesn't sound like Muddy.  I've just never heard anything quite like it since the first day I heard the man way back in the early 90s and I'm not sure I ever will.  The pacing of his songs, every note, every lick just aches, its fuckin' fantastic. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rovim said:

:max:

It weren't though was it?  But as I said, it weren't meant to be either, its its own kind of brilliant...but that thing, that original recording is just fuckin' gorgeous.  There's one particular bit of it that no one has made sound quite the same since, I'm not Mr Guitar so maybe you can help me here but why does the following part of the song never sound the same on anyone elses version:

It happens right at 39 seconds but it'd probably benefit you to listen to the whole phrase from 31 seconds, he sort of doubles up on the...thingie and it just sounds SO cool and in a song where like, there ain't a lot of shit in it, the bones of it is pretty much the same shit repeated over and over, that classic blues thingie...but that little bit at 39 seconds, nobody else I've seen plays it like that, maybe cuz I'm not a guitar man I'm hearing it wrong but I don't think I am.

Jimi's was magnificent though, I would die the death of a thousand bastards before I slagged off Jimi Hendrix, I'm not usually like this about people but he's in the 'can do no wrong' category, its just the point I was making is no one I've ever heard does it the way Muddy does/did.

Edited by Len Cnut

220px-Jb-the-payback.jpg

PS

Pertaining to Muddy Waters, Jimi borrows so much from Muddy's guitar playing, not just from and on that particular song, but throughout his whole style. I have a great little boxset of Muddy albums which I picked up for about a tenner,

s-l225.jpg

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

220px-Jb-the-payback.jpg

PS

Pertaining to Muddy Waters, Jimi borrows so much from Muddy's guitar playing, not just from and on that particular song, but throughout his whole style. I have a great little boxset of Muddy albums which I picked up for about a tenner,

s-l225.jpg

Whats the boxset called?