Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

1 hour ago, soon said:

What a show!! :headbang:Watched and listened to the entire show last night. You aint kidding. The best band on the planet. What a beast they were!! And yeah that XYU has venom. James and D'arcy talk a lot, which is cool.

D' arcy is next level sexy here :wub:. And I dont mean this to undermine her at all, but her bass and vocals are to a really high standard here too. No wonder she was able to contribute more to the album. Like, shes holding the rhythm section together to huge rock show standard with Jimmy f'n Chamberlain - how many others can say that they locked in with Jimmy like that?? And her vocal timbre goes really nicely with Billy. She's fucking owning it.

I have got to get this set! I wonder how they selected what made the album? Fucking Jimmy :headbang:

They seemed to be in really good spirits during that show, which seems to be rare in Pumpkins world, especially in those days. The ''naked man'' and ''dancing man'' probably helped. It's funny how Billy managed to piss the crowd off by making fun of a German football player, but then he ends it with such an amazing performance of XYU. 

A lot of shows during that tour were amazing, ''[HQ] Smashing Pumpkins - Live at Brixton Academy 1996'' is also in good quality on YouTube, I used to have it on VHS and watched it religiously as a kid. They start with an acoustic set before putting on the rock show. And they play ''Here Is No Why'', I don't think they played that one live very often. I love the guitar solo.

James and D'arcy were in no way bad players. It's just that Billy was even better, and especially on the first two records Butch Vig made them go for the best possible take, and Billy was simply better so they ended up using mainly his takes. On Mellon Collie they worked with a different producer who went more for the ''right feel'' and not perfection, so they ended up using more of James' and D'arcy's takes.

I have got to get this set! I wonder how they selected what made the album?

I have no idea how they decided on what to put on the record and what not. Like I said, some of those B-sides are incredible.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Same goes with blues, blues is simple as fuck really...but go play like Muddy Waters, make it sound like that, few can y'know.  Even other simple stuff, take something like Not Fade Away by The Crickets, on paper its simple as fuck but I've seen any number of people fuck up just the strumming pattern on it. 

As far as complexity in music theory, you won't find that in anything in rock music, I don't think. 

A lot of blues is even more formulaic than pop or rock. It's the same thing with Stevie Ray Vaughan, his music wasn't complexed at all, and a lot of guitarists can play his songs, but no one sounds like him. And that is what makes him one of the best guitarists ever to walk this planet. At least in my opinion.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

As for The Beatles cover bands,

one of the best cover bands must be The Analogues. They have made it their mission to come as close as possible to The Beatles sound. Which is of course impossible, but they give it a good shot. They have travelled the world looking for the same equipment, instruments, amps and everything else The Beatles used to record their records and try to play ever note the same as on the record.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, Len Cnut said:

8 songs off of Help were written over a weekend.  I find that mind blowing.

My mom's favorite Beatle song is "Hide your love away" John is lead singer on this song.

It's played in the Help movie.

When she hears any Beatles songs it reminds her of many happy times as a kid.

Hitchhiker, Neil Young

Sticky Fingers bonus disc.

- You have to hand it to Eric. He played on The Beatles' ''While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' and an alt version of ''Brown Sugar''!

PS

Roundhouse 1971 show: ''spotlight on Keef's arse''. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, soon said:

I don’t know this one. Is there a certain style he’s exploring on it?

This album is typical Buckethead. Crazy guitar riffs and solos, combined with a couple of synth layers. 

I got this one from a two dollar sale on Bandcamp. 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1