Last full album you listened to?

Broskirose

On 9/25/2020 at 10:02 PM, lame ass security said:

Took a week to cut that album, sometimes it's best just to go in and do it. Let it roll.

That's what Steve Albini wrote in his letter to Nirvana when they were discussing making In Utero together. He ended the letter with ''If a record takes more than a week to make, somebody’s fucking up.'' (although it took them 13 days to record In Utero)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

See the thing there is that you had 3 incredible musicians, they rarely faltered even playing live. On the other hand you got a bloke who wrote lyrics for fun and probably had a stockpile you could fill a barnyard with.  When he wasn't drinking til he pissed his pants :lol:

And a killer voice to boot...

This is a killer gig.... Jim’s just the right side of fucked up, Kriegers guitar tone is brilliant, and Ray and John are driving the whole thing. 

The Doors are my “if there was a time machine” band. I’d loved to have seen them live. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

See the thing there is that you had 3 incredible musicians, they rarely faltered even playing live. On the other hand you got a bloke who wrote lyrics for fun and probably had a stockpile you could fill a barnyard with.  When he wasn't drinking til he pissed his pants :lol:

Yeah man, those guys were brilliant. They had differing styles and influences which only made the mix better and more interesting. Ray was steeped in the blues but could play anything, John had that jazz tinge, and Robbie with that flamenco style. So eclectic and cool. Then you throw in Jimbo who happened to be a genius savant with looks and charisma to burn. Plus he really was a great singer, he doesn't get enough credit for that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

That's what Steve Albini wrote in his letter to Nirvana when they were discussing making In Utero together. He ended the letter with ''If a record takes more than a week to make, somebody’s fucking up.'' (although it took them 13 days to record In Utero)

Totally agree, if you have the material rehearsed and ready to go it shouldn't take long.

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

And a killer voice to boot...

This is a killer gig.... Jim’s just the right side of fucked up, Kriegers guitar tone is brilliant, and Ray and John are driving the whole thing. 

The Doors are my “if there was a time machine” band. I’d loved to have seen them live. 

Oh he was something else.  He was the first proper confrontational lead singer with a sort of a live theatrical performance, at once charming and antagonistic.  Even when he wasn’t on 100% form vocally he had a certain charisma that just made it so he could pull it off.  They thought he was a drunken mess, which he kinda was but it was deliberate, he was a champion shit-stirrer.

And when he was proper on it he could work a crowd like anyone, I put him right up there with James Brown in that respect, he could bring an ampitheatre to stony silence followed by riotous noise, pure class.

2 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah man, those guys were brilliant. They had differing styles and influences which only made the mix better and more interesting. Ray was steeped in the blues but could play anything, John had that jazz tinge, and Robbie with that flamenco style. So eclectic and cool. Then you throw in Jimbo who happened to be a genius savant with looks and charisma to burn. Plus he really was a great singer, he doesn't get enough credit for that. 

He was a massive Sinatra fan.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh he was something else.  He was the first proper confrontational lead singer with a sort of a live theatrical performance, at once charming and antagonistic.  Even when he wasn’t on 100% form vocally he had a certain charisma that just made it so he could pull it off.  They thought he was a drunken mess, which he kinda was but it was deliberate, he was a champion shit-stirrer.

And when he was proper on it he could work a crowd like anyone, I put him right up there with James Brown in that respect, he could bring an ampitheatre to stony silence followed by riotous noise, pure class.

He was a massive Sinatra fan.  

I like Morrison but come on! James Brown. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I like Morrison but come on! James Brown. 

I mean in terms of ‘crowd in the palm of his hand’ kinda way.  Take Live at the Apollo, he works em like crazy there, probably the greatest example of that shit I’ve ever seen.  But then what The Doors did with The End or When The Musics Over, with the different dynamics of the song and the way they like...controlled the vibe of the crowd, its up there.  Maybe not equivalent but certainly up there.  

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I mean in terms of ‘crowd in the palm of his hand’ kinda way.  Take Live at the Apollo, he works em like crazy there, probably the greatest example of that shit I’ve ever seen.  But then what The Doors did with The End or When The Musics Over, which the different dynamics of the song and the way they like...controlled the vibe of the crowd, its up there.  Maybe not equivalent but certainly up there.  

not as good as freddie, son

I mean in terms of ‘crowd in the palm of his hand’ kinda way.  Take Live at the Apollo, he works em like crazy there, probably the greatest example of that shit I’ve ever seen.  But then what The Doors did with The End or When The Musics Over, which the different dynamics of the song and the way they like...controlled the vibe of the crowd, its up there.  Maybe not equivalent but certainly up there.  

Yes but James Brown is on a whole other level. I have him (just) above Presley.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

not as good as freddie, son

Controlling a crowd with shit taste ain’t hard, Robbie Williams can do that :lol: 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but James Brown is on a whole other level. I have him (just) above Presley.

I am the last person on earth to ever argue for anyone over James Brown.  

presley could move a crowd, but he wasn't a born entertainer. he couldn't handle the success and needed medication to function on stage as evidenced by his rising drug abuse when he returned to performing. he was a nervous wreck, as evidenced by the "on tour" documentary.

kurt cobain, another example of a performer who certainly moved a crowd, but wasn't a born performer: he too, could not handle the success.

a natural born performer, loves to perform, and feeds off of the cheers of the crowd and doesn't need medication or drugs to come through.

it's great that elvis did what he did, of course, but at what cost? it totally ruined him.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All the best rockers are. 

I'm not too sure about freddie being a wife beater though, unless by wife we include his maid (but then again even the maid was of the male species)

Edited by action

7 minutes ago, action said:

had a little bit too much of wife beater though

I don’t care, none of my business, he could shag his Mum for all I care, I’m just in it for the tunes.

3 minutes ago, action said:

presley could move a crowd, but he wasn't a born entertainer. he couldn't handle the success and needed medication to function on stage as evidenced by his rising drug abuse when he returned to performing. he was a nervous wreck, as evidenced by the "on tour" documentary.

kurt cobain, another example of a performer who certainly moved a crowd, but wasn't a born performer: he too, could not handle the success.

a natural born performer, loves to perform, and feeds off of the cheers of the crowd and doesn't need medication of drugs to come through.

it's great that elvis did what he did, of course, but at what cost? it totally ruined him.

Again, I don’t care whether they enjoyed it or not, thats their lookout.  I don’t think that has a bearing on how great they perform, you’ve got to realise that for all of em, on some level, its a job.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Again, I don’t care whether they enjoyed it or not, thats their lookout.  I don’t think that has a bearing on how great they perform, you’ve got to realise that for all of em, on some level, its a job.

I own the "live 1969" box by presley, which is 11 or something consecutive shows at vegas, at his absolute "prime" when returning to performing. there is no doubting the quality of the singing, but presley is clearly going through the motions. These 11 shows are near copy pastes of each other, jokes and banter included! I honestly don't see a freddie mercury offering this assembly line level performance. There is hardly spontaneity, if any, and this is when he was fresh back to performing. The singing is great, after all this is elvis we're talking about, but there are much better entertainers, even now.

Edited by action

1 minute ago, action said:

I own the "live 1969" box by presley, which is 11 or something consecutive shows at vegas, at his absolute "prime" when returning to performing. there is no doubting the quality of the singing, but presley is clearly going through the motions. These 11 shows are near copy pastes of each other, jokes and banter included! I honestly don't see a freddie mercury offering this assembly line level performance. There is hardly spontaneity, if any, and this is when he was fresh back to performing. The singing is great, after all this is elvis we're talking about, but there are much better entertainers, even now.

Elvis, 1956, thats what its all about.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you sure you're not referring to Guns N' Roses?

Axl is interesting. I've still not figured out if Axl really loves to be on that stage, or not, and if he ever did.

when you're a musician, it is "the thing to do", to go on stage, but how many musicians also have that primal need to feed off the crowd?

Axl didn't really love the crowd. I'd argue, he was angry at the crowd, and that is what fueled his performance. 

5 minutes ago, action said:

he seems like a different person than vegas and beyond. not really sure what made him go from this, to being insecure about his stage performance

I dunno, I think he looked exstatic in 69, just happy to be on the job and really belting em out, just watch Thats The Way It Is, does the bloke performing Suspicious Minds there look to you like he’s not into it?

I dunno, I think he looked exstatic in 69, just happy to be on the job and really belting em out, just watch Thats The Way It Is, does the bloke performing Suspicious Minds there look to you like he’s not into it?

I've watched it two days ago, as a matter of fact. 

great, great performance.

but there is certain sadness and loneliness in his eyes. I see a clear invisible wall between Elvis and the exctatic crowd full of cheering ladies. that was no rock n roll audience, and I can't honestly feel how Elvis felt at home there