Robin Finck Solo Album

Really just a placeholder thread for now. Hope we get some promising info sooner rather than later. I'm going to try and meet him next month and ask for an ETA.

tumblr_ljbl9q88K01qa8jbeo1_r1_500.jpg

Here's what he last had to say in regards to his solo album in an interview with Ultimate-Guitar.com from late last year -

You've been working on your own solo album?

Yeah. I was in the throes of that when Trent called me for this tour and so I'm looking to get into that when this tour lands at some point next year. I've really been woodshedding on my own and the songs are born on piano or guitar and building them up from there. But I have yet to introduce them to any wall of noise just yet.

This is going to be a vocal record?

Oh yeah and I'm singing them.

You sing with NIN so that's an aspect of the process you dig?

Yeah, I do. I really do. I've been playing and recording all the time through the years and I have yet to fashion my own coming out and it's been inevitable. I've been very blessed with other opportunities that were gonna go with or without me and I've enjoyed saying yes to those opportunities.

14300176840_f5368a1586_c.jpg

Edited by Broskirose
  • Like 2

REALLY excited for this, Robin is my favorite GNR member, weird style, weird playing style, doesn't look forced like DJ, just a really cool guy. love his solo's on Chinese too, Street of Dreams and This i Love, so i'm really excited aha. Also his singing was pretty good at RIR3, especially on Brownstone when he was sharing the mic with Axl.

• Like 2

I hope he doesn't do any gimmicky dad rock, butt rock, or shit rock guitar solos on this :awesomeface:

But seriously, I'll be interested to hear this- Robin's a bit of an unknown factor IMO, I half expect it to suck and half expect it to be great.

• Like 1

where and how are you meeting him? :0

I'm going to try. I'll be front row at the NIN/Soundgarden show in Camden (15 minute early entry tickets). I'll be wearing my Robin Finck t-shirt from the 2002 Guns tour (thanks to NGOG for notifying me of these going back on sale).

96151F.JPG

I'll probably go to Robin's side of the stage, but even if I don't he moves around a lot and I'll try to make sure he see's me.

Idk, I've never tried to meet a guy in a band before except the time I won Metallica meet and greets. But I've never done it the organic way. But if I do meet him I'll ask about his album and report back here.

• Like 2

I hope he doesn't do any gimmicky dad rock, butt rock, or shit rock guitar solos on this :awesomeface:

But seriously, I'll be interested to hear this- Robin's a bit of an unknown factor IMO, I half expect it to suck and half expect it to be great.

Fucking wrote Better and killed it with the solo on it too. Proves he's a good writer imo. Given the fact he worked with Axl and Trent for so many years, and never released a solo album before, it has a chance to be something special. I trust him not to release a shit album. Just like I trust Axl in that way.

• Like 1

I'm going to try. I'll be front row at the NIN/Soundgarden show in Camden (15 minute early entry tickets). I'll be wearing my Robin Finck t-shirt from the 2002 Guns tour (thanks to NGOG for notifying me of these going back on sale).

96151F.JPG

I'll probably go to Robin's side of the stage, but even if I don't he moves around a lot and I'll try to make sure he see's me.

Idk, I've never tried to meet a guy in a band before except the time I won Metallica meet and greets. But I've never done it the organic way. But if I do meet him I'll ask about his album and report back here.

Ask if he would ever join back Guns if the opportunity came up.

Just because he helped write one haircut rock song with a gimmicky solo doesn't exactly prove that he can do it all on his own.

Robin is hit or miss, either great or awful.

Someone like the late Mick Ronson from the Spiders From Mars was a phenomenal (Nobody puts baby in a corner) guitarist and the perfect foil for David Bowie (and later Ian Hunter) and as an arranger and producer had a hand in some of Lou Reed and John Mellancamp's finest moments- but his own albums were awful...he was a brilliant sideman but didn't have it on his own.

96151F.JPG

Tell him HGH said hi.

• Like 1

Just because he helped write one haircut rock song with a gimmicky solo doesn't exactly prove that he can do it all on his own.

Someone like the late Mick Ronson from the Spiders From Mars was a phenomenal (Nobody puts baby in a corner) guitarist and the perfect foil for David Bowie (and later Ian Hunter) and as an arranger and producer had a hand in some of Lou Reed and John Mellancamp's finest moments- but his own albums were awful...he was a brilliant sideman but didn't have it on his own.

What is this? Why are you talking about Mick Ronson? Robin Rocks your balls off. The solo wasn't gimmicky at all. Many people said he wrote tons of haircut rock songs for Axl. And Trent never gave him a chance to be a part of the writing process. Not really.

You never know, time will tell, and all that shit.

I think this album will sound similar to the more organic at their core, softish rock songs from CD like Catcher, Street of Dreams and Prostitute. Especially the way he described writing some of the songs on piano. But I can definitely see it being a mashup of tons of different styles and approaches.

What on earth is "haircut rock"? And Robins better solo one of the few Guns solos that actually isn't a cheap trick thrown into the middle of a song to please the mullets. Great musicianship.

I think this album will sound similar to the more organic at their core, softish rock songs from CD like Catcher, Street of Dreams and Prostitute. Especially the way he described writing some of the songs on piano. But I can definitely see it being a mashup of tons of different styles and approaches.

What on earth is "haircut rock"? And Robins better solo one of the few Guns solos that actually isn't a cheap trick thrown into the middle of a song to please the mullets. Great musicianship.

It pleased many of them anyway. Many closet mullets got off on it as well. Probably still do to this day.

• Like 1