Tipping in The United States

UK SUBS

Basically, if you don't tip in the US, you either got the worst service imaginable, or you're a piece of shit. Whether you agree with it, it's our custom, and it is offensive if you don't participate. Would you stare blankly at someone in Japan while they bow, and tell them that their custom is stupid and poi.tless and needs to be changed?

Don't want to tip? Buy a burrito and a 6 pack from a gas station and have a nice time in your hotel room.

• Like 2

I once ordered a pasta seafood dish that had onions. I told the waitress multiple times that I would like it WITHOUT onions, even telling her I was deadly allergic to onions.

When my food came, of course it had onions. I showed it to the waitress and she was not concerned at all and offered up a "can you just pick them out? That would be easier than sending it back, and you wouldn't have to wait for it while everybody else is eating."

So I picked out all the onions, ate my meal, and then left all the onions on the Bill with a message "since I told you I was allergic to onions, I took your advice and just picked them out of my meal. Instead of a cash tip I'm leaving you those onions instead. Hope you enjoy them more than I did."

I didn't want to cause a big scene, and have the manager come send the meal back to the kitchen.....who knows if the cook is dating that waitress you just got into trouble? What would he do to your food then?

• Like 2

What about at a nice hotel?

Maids?

Barman?

Valet?

Anything else?

As others have said, 20% for decent/average restaurant/bar service. 15% if they piss you off. Only less if they were really out of line. More than 20% (at your discretion) for exceptional service.

I work for Starwood, we have tons of 5 Star Hotels.

Valets need only to be tipped when they bring you your car. Tipping them is optional when you drop it off. Most people don't when they're dropping it off, unless they're driving something like a Ferrari, and they want the Valet to take extra special care of it. Standard valet tips range between $3 - $5 every time they get your car.

Never tip a bartender less than $1, even if you're only getting one drink and it only cost you $3....in other words, don't be digging for change..... :lol: On larger bar tabs, 20% is fine.

Maids get between $2 - $3 per day....a little more if you're really sloppy.

Don't forget to tip the bell hops....they get $1 per bag and the cosigliere also gets a few bucks ($2 - $5), depending how much he/she helps you. If you eat at the hotel restaurant and they have a maitr d, you probably want to swing him a couple of bucks as well.

The price at staying at plush hotels. ;)

Edited by Kasanova King

I once ordered a pasta seafood dish that had onions. I told the waitress multiple times that I would like it WITHOUT onions, even telling her I was deadly allergic to onions.

When my food came, of course it had onions. I showed it to the waitress and she was not concerned at all and offered up a "can you just pick them out? That would be easier than sending it back, and you wouldn't have to wait for it while everybody else is eating."

So I picked out all the onions, ate my meal, and then left all the onions on the Bill with a message "since I told you I was allergic to onions, I took your advice and just picked them out of my meal. Instead of a cash tip I'm leaving you those onions instead. Hope you enjoy them more than I did."

I didn't want to cause a big scene, and have the manager come send the meal back to the kitchen.....who knows if the cook is dating that waitress you just got into trouble? What would he do to your food then?

Yeah, she was out of line. Was it a fine dining place or just a "diner" type place?

Do you guys (Americans) tip at McDonald's or Starbucks as well?

No, McDonald's never...some tip a little (change, etc) at Starbucks if they have a tip jar out.

People at McDonald's and Starbucks get paid around $9 - $10 per hour, so they aren't in need of tips to make any sort of a paycheck.

****On a side note, if I were you Subsy, I would try to either mask your accent ( :P ) or joke around with the waitress before you order your food....let her know that you "read the book about tipping" and won't be shorting her.

From my experience, people from the U.K. (and other parts of Europe as well) have a reputation in the U.S. for being very poor tippers, so there's a chance that your server may not give you the best service if he/she thinks you're from the U.K.

So like I said, do or say something to let them know that you're on your game. ;)

Edited by Kasanova King

Do you guys (Americans) tip at McDonald's or Starbucks as well?

I'll usually drop my change or a dollar in the tip jar sitting on the counter at the coffee shop. No tips at fast food places. They'd probably look at you like you were crazy if you tried it. For the most part, you're fine if you tip people that bring food to a table for you, and bartenders.

We have a federal minimum wage of, I believe, $7.25, but that doesn't apply to servers, for whom there's a minimum wage of, I believe, just over $2.

How can it not apply to them?! :huh:

And $2.. what's the point of even having that for them.. some historical relic?

The idea is that the $2 plus their minimum tips will equal the minimum wage. So we tip because they don't get minimum wage and they don't get minimum wage because we tip. :lol:

We have a federal minimum wage of, I believe, $7.25, but that doesn't apply to servers, for whom there's a minimum wage of, I believe, just over $2.

How can it not apply to them?! :huh:

And $2.. what's the point of even having that for them.. some historical relic?

It's like they're some kinda slave class that people can at their "at their good will" give some change if they're nice..

Most servers end up paying their taxes with their minimum wage (they might take home a few bucks out of their checks, but it's usually laughable) and keep their tips for their living. So, yes, servers literally make a living off of your tips in the U.S.

Just do not bother. You are English man. Remember, that dick waiting for a tip probably chucked your tea in the sea.

That's more of an urban legend than anything. I've worked at several restaurants in my life and I've never witnessed anyone ever doing anything to the food. Slow service maybe....if you piss them off....but messing with food is rare. (Although it could happen if you really piss someone off).

Just do not bother. You are English man. Remember, that dick waiting for a tip probably chucked your tea in the sea.

That's more of an urban legend than anything. I've worked at several restaurants in my life and I've never witnessed anyone ever doing anything to the food. Slow service maybe....if you piss them off....but messing with food is rare. (Although it could happen if you really piss someone off).

:rofl-lol:

Think about it, KK.

Most servers end up paying their taxes with their minimum wage (they might take home a few bucks out of their checks, but it's usually laughable) and keep their tips for their living. So, yes, servers literally make a living off of your tips in the U.S.

Is there an absolute minimum tax? Asking 'cause someone said before the tips aren't acknowledged as income.. so they have 100% income tax? Must suck working at that sector there, not knowing how much money you make a month :shrugs:

No, no real "minimum" tax, it's all scaled....but things like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid... everyone pays... so even if they fall below the poverty level, they still pay those out of their checks.

social security is for when you retire. if you are poor and not making enough money you can still get food stamps, and you can also collect money payments. also unemployment checks will help if you qualify.

i had a family member that was a waitress in a very small town. on the weekends she would bring in a total of about 300- 350 dollars. during the week though it was painfully slow. some nights she would bring home 25-30 dollars.

Well played :lol:. I hope the waitress learned her lesson though and just didn't think "what an asshole".

People who don't understand to take food allergies seriously should not be allowed to work at restaurants! Or maybe with the exception that they hang a huge sign at the door saying "we're ignorant dumbasses who don't understand food allergies, welcome!"

Plus the way I did it assured that her boss would see what happened at the end of the night. From the soggy stained ticket and from my message.

KK, for my neck of the woods it was in the high end mode. One of the places that people go for special occasions. Dinners are 20-to-30 bucks. Probably the most popular place in my town.

The best tip I ever gave was to the seating dude at a Topless Comedy show in Vegas. I meant to give him a $5 but accidently gave him a $20...he led us down to the middle table in the front row which was essentially the top seat in the place. I got pulled on stage for one of the acts which involved me sitting on stage with a topless showgirl type 20-21 year old chick sitting on my lap.

• Like 1

Be a man and eat your damn onions.

Think about it, KK.

:lol:

I really haven't witnessed anyone messing with food....although I must admit, I have heard stories. Ironically, the worst story I heard was from a guy that worked at a very popular national pizza chain.... (It had nothing to do with service or tipping) He was a manager and had to fire one of his employees because he caught him pleasuring himself with the dough. True story. :no:

biggest tip i gave was 100$

Back in the day (yeah, I'm getting old)....we ran up a $1200 tab at a club when I took my sales force out...and I tipped well over $300....that waitress was happy, to say the least.

Come to think of it, I used to do really well.....ugh....what happened..... :lol:

Edited by Kasanova King

Think about it, KK.

:lol:

I really haven't witnessed anyone messing with food....although I must admit, I have heard stories. Ironically, the worst story I heard was from a guy that worked at a very popular national pizza chain.... (It had nothing to do with service or tipping) He was a manager and had to fire one of his employees because he caught him pleasuring himself with the dough. True story. :no:

biggest tip i gave was 100$

Back in the day (yeah, I'm getting old)....we ran up a $1200 tab at a club when I took my sales force out...and I tipped well over $300....that waitress was happy, to say the least.

i bet :lol:

Be a man and eat your damn onions.

Onions, oatmeal, coffee and mustard are only consumed by savages.

Edited by Groghan

Basically, if you don't tip in the US, you either got the worst service imaginable, or you're a piece of shit. Whether you agree with it, it's our custom, and it is offensive if you don't participate. Would you stare blankly at someone in Japan while they bow, and tell them that their custom is stupid and poi.tless and needs to be changed?

Don't want to tip? Buy a burrito and a 6 pack from a gas station and have a nice time in your hotel room.

Pretty much this.

People sometimes ask "why American's eat so much fast food?" and this debate IS part of that equation. Sometimes I plain don't want to spend the extra 15~20 bucks it costs to eat out, so we end up at Taco Bell or one of the others. You don't have to participate in tipping if you go to places where you don't have to.

Same type of thought goes into Buffet style resturants (or at least they do imo). I'm not going to tip more than 2~3 bucks at Chinese Buffet or a Old Country Buffet. Those workers really just take your plates or sometimes bring more soda or pop (like we call it in MI). So why would I tip those workers more than 10%? Which I bet many poeple feel the same way, so it really depends on the type of resturant. But yes, if you go to a sit down and order type of place, then yes tip 15~20%.