New mygnrforum section coming soon!

UK SUBS

More info on the way but.....

New supporters VIP only section being developed -- "attitude" CAN be developed within that private VIP section. High donators (TBC) can moderate the content #dementedsectionsoon

Prob a GNR section -- an AG type section (new name) and an attitude section.

Anyone donating $100 or more will have the option (they can decline) to moderate the entire section.

Currently magisime would be the only mod if he wanted....

Thoughts?

Both ER and myself will make ourselves available for any questions

• Like 1

A section as described above would be a reason for me to not donate and become a supporter.

Respect that soul :) happy for ALL feedback here.

That said, you've not donated in 6 years so.... There's never been a reason to in 6 years so I'd be more concerned (no offence!) if a few supports go "hate this don't do it"

So... correct me if I'm wrong. It would be a section that only supporters can see and post in, consisting of a GNR, an AG and an Attitude section, so available to all supporters. But only high donators will be given the option to moderate. Is that correct ? Does that mean it is some sort of private forum, meaning guests or whoever stumbles onto the forum couldn't read it ?

Anyway, better start being nice to Magisme then.

I agree with the Attitude section. But it should be opened for all members and not jus people who donate. Magisme will be an amazing mod there, no doubt about it. VIP Section? What the topics will be about?

Can you give a little more of the thought process behind this, Subs? Besides NuAttitude, what are we talking about?

A VIP/supporters section has been discussed behind the scenes since..... Well, since I bought the forum really in some shape or form. In fact it's probably the only idea that's never been properly pushed through and implemented for whatever reason (mainly we couldn't agree the formatting).

It's just been something that's come up again recently so we've pushed it up the agenda again internally and we all agree to do it but unsure on.

-- where it goes in the current layout

-- the content

-- how many subsections etc

Also, peeps who have donated large sums (such as your good self) I've always felt we should try and do a little more. We really can't think of too much other than modding your own section which has generally been well received -- HV first came up with the idea (oh, or was it zint? Anyway....)

Happy to accept all thoughts good and/or bad.

I'll go with the majority view

To be honest.... bad idea. I think it would be bad for the board in general that there would be a free and a paid section for both things. Two places to discuss the same is never good. Basically you'd cut the forum in half and maybe create confusion and/or clique's in the process. People would miss information and/or discussion.

Basically, I think it's sensible for supporters to get perks like message space, no flood limit etc etc etc. That's a matter of features. But I don't think you should also divide content.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

To be honest.... bad idea. I think it would be bad for the board in general that there would be a free and a paid section for both things. Two places to discuss the same is never good. Basically you'd cut the forum in half and maybe create confusion and/or clique's in the process. People would miss information and/or discussion.

Basically, I think it's sensible for supporters to get perks like message space, no flood limit etc etc etc. That's a matter of features. But I don't think you should also divide content.

I haven't been a forum regular in a long time, and I've never donated, so my opinion may not matter much, but I basically think this is correct.

and I've never donated

Neither have I. So I don't want to seem all cheap and sour grapes here, but I'm very sure I'd feel the same way if I poured half my income into this place. Quite honestly I'd rather see that mygnrforum as a whole would require you to pay a certain amount than to have a paid and an unpaid section.

Many people were divided on Attitude last time it existed. I always thought "If you don't like it, don't look", but a lot of people couldn't seem to do that. A paid version sounds great to me because if you want to see it, you would have to pay to see it. If you don't want to see it, you'd have no way of accessing it without paying.

Maybe we could experiment with this for a month. If the mods see that in the paid sections there are only 3 or 4 people posting there then the mods should close those sections. And the forum just goes back to the current layout. But if the paid sections become very popular then they should be kept.

I´m fine with the forum the way it is right now. But I´m open to new ideas as long as those ideas work for everyone.

A section as described above would be a reason for me to not donate and become a supporter.

Respect that soul :) happy for ALL feedback here.

That said, you've not donated in 6 years so.... There's never been a reason to in 6 years so I'd be more concerned (no offence!) if a few supports go "hate this don't do it"

I guess most supporters would appreciate more benefits and the allure of an exclusive VIP section :)

What I would be concerned about is losing members who aren't supporters and those members that are thinking of becoming supporters, but would now feel that the sequestering of information on the forum and the making a part of it inaccessible to the majority of the member mass, make the forum less attractive altogether. Personally I think that if some of the activity on this forum is moved to a hidden area so that there would be less activity in the free part of the forum, which would inevitably be the case if some of the discussions take place elsewhere, then I would feel less inclined to offer my views and engage in discussions because there would be less of an audience and less interesting discussions happening. I would also consider this forum to be less valuable as an arena for picking up news about GN'R because I would always fear that the news are first posted in the VIP area.

If this idea was to be implemented, then in my humble opinion I believe you would experience a temporary surge in donations because members would want to be part of the exclusive VIP section. But you would experience a reduction in new members who register because newcomers would just meet a forum with less overall activity and go elsewhere to get their free GN'R updates and news - I don't think they would immediately donate when their are free GN'R forum alternatives out there. In addition the overall activity from members like me would probably decrease. This reduction in overall member mass and activity would in time lead to less donators and you would not only quell your income but end up with increasingly fewer members and a forum on the decline.

• Like 1

Soulmonster makes some great points.

Right now we have 1 blob of content. And everybody can see that content. Even if you'd make the whole forum a paid only thing, there would still be 1 blob of content and 1 group of people being able to view and add to that content. But creating a divide where certain users can see certain content and certain other users can see other or more content would ultimately just cost members. It'd eventually thin out both groups. I think it's important to have just one group of users who can see the whole blob of content.

I like the idea of a separate supporter section in some form. Those who choose not to donate can continue to post as usual in all the other sections of the forum as they do now. I don't think knowing there's a section they cannot access will alienate anyone. Just the opposite, I feel it will be another incentive to make a donation.

I'm against supporters moderating the sections. Having some shitty posters donate more money for the power trip will 1. Detract other members who may have thought about joining from wanting to, and 2. Cause supporters to leave and not offer to donate again.

I believe most people would not be willing to respect or endorse a member who is given control simply because they bought it.

I like the idea of a separate supporter section in some form.

So after 10 years you have been a supporter for like a month and you want your own private room?

I say merit badges too for over 15k posts, or cupcakes or something

I believe most people would not be willing to respect or endorse a member who is given control simply because they bought it.

Well, I for one respect Subsy even though he bought mygnrforum and now have total control ;)

Buying a forum is different than buying a mod position. No? Besides, Subs doesn't control me.

I like the idea of a separate supporter section in some form.

So after 10 years you have been a supporter for like a month and you want your own private room?

I say merit badges too for over 15k posts, or cupcakes or something

You've been here longer cheapo. I'd say it's about time. Where's your donation?

Attitude created hostility and extreme fan boy wars. Not really what a message board needs.

I think the quality discussion and content should not be segregated on a forum. I think offering the ability to

moderate to the highest bidder will simply create a bidding war. How will moderating be handled? Will the cupcake who was punished last week be in a position of power next week?

What really can a forum offer in perks to a supporter?

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker