How far we have fallen - The VMA's

02 VMAs were awesome fuck the haters :hahafyou: its the first time I saw GNR

The band was great, and I liked how Axl sang Madagascar. Heartfelt. But it was a bad performance all around cause Axl was out of breath and the whole world was watching.

They had just gotten back from China I think 2 days earlier.

The band was great, and I liked how Axl sang Madagascar. Heartfelt. But it was a bad performance all around cause Axl was out of breath and the whole world was watching.

I believe you. :huh:

The VMA's have fallen WAAAAAY further. It's just an advertisement by artists to tell fans when to torrent their albums.

So it has more to do with the VMA's being shit than it does the band?

Yup.

Go look at the China tour dates in 02

The VMA's have fallen WAAAAAY further. It's just an advertisement by artists to tell fans when to torrent their albums.

Yup.

No sarcasm, I believe you, I just don't understand how it's relevant to what we're talking about in this thread. Are you saying Axl needed more time between China and the VMA's? please clarify.

Yup.

No sarcasm, I believe you, I just don't understand how it's relevant to what we're talking about in this thread. Are you saying Axl needed more time between China and the VMA's? please clarify.

I think they did. Jet lag etc. How is it relevant? People haven't mentioned the GNR performance in 02 AT ALL in this thread?

Yup.

I think they did. Jet lag etc. How is it relevant? People haven't mentioned the GNR performance in 02 AT ALL in this thread?

I meant how them being on tour in China was relevant to the VMA's, something that you've only just now explained.

Halftime is good exposure but the whole point of it is for home viewers who normally wouldn't tune in to watch football, they might as well not have any halftime show and run commercials. The whole setting up and breaking down just do to a prerecorded mini concert isn't worth it.

I might tune in to watch the VMAs, or just wait until the next day when all the highlights are out and zip through it.

:lol: the delusions continue unabated.

Yeah, there is no way around it: Gn'R's 2002 VMA's performance was bad. Like I've said, I liked the way Axl sang Madagascar, but overall it was an abomination. Not the band's fault. That time, it was all on Axl.

I think the decision to make a medley didn't help either. Gave out of breath Axl even less time to breath between vocal lines. I think he was having a bad day anyway, so with the medley thing, the quality of his vocal performance became truly atrocious.

He was weak even on Madagascar, but at least it was emotionally impactful enough imo, that it wasn't a total disaster like WTTJ and Paradise City.

Edited by Rovim

How far has the GNR community fallen?

I remember years ago when a month before the VMA's we would already have topics up about GNR making a surprise appearance and kicking off round 2 with new music.

Now, just 48 hours before the event we have all accepted seemingly that new music is never coming and GNR is now irrelevant.

How did Axl let this happen as I suspect no one after the VMA's in 2002 could ever have predicted this is where the new band would end up.

Despite the quirks, you are good and loyal fans. Not alot of bands can boast that after all this time

I really hope the band can put something together soon to reward you

i don't understand your disappointment.

Why expect anything from Axl?

Axl became so full of himself that he decided to destroy the best band in the world.

He made it.

100% sucessfull.

What he was never able to do was to do good music again.

Ever since he got rid of Izzy and Slash and Duff, he's been doing half-good music with mediocre, well-paid, yes-men musicians.

Before CD was released, one could still think that Axl could deliver a masterpiece. Or at least ONE great song.

Nope.

All the songs on that album can't wipe the floor of the weakest song of GNR.

Sad, sad, sad.

The funny thing about it is that Axl KNOWS it.

He knows his well-paid, yes-men musicians are way below his level.

Those musicians are no match for Axl.

They are not good songwriters.

They are good if all you need is "sheep" musicians.

They are horrible if you wanna create great music.

Edited by ludurigan

i don't understand your disappointment.

Why expect anything from Axl?

Axl became so full of himself that he decided to destroy the best band in the world.

He made it.

100% sucessfull.

What he was never able to do was to do good music again.

Ever since he got rid of Izzy and Slash and Duff, he's been doing half-good music with mediocre, well-paid, yes-men musicians.

Before CD was released, one could still think that Axl could deliver a masterpiece. Or at least ONE great song.

Nope.

All the songs on that album can't wipe the floor of the weakest song of GNR.

Sad, sad, sad.

The funny thing about it is that Axl KNOWS it.

He knows his well-paid, yes-men musicians are way below his level.

Those musicians are no match for Axl.

They are not good songwriters.

They are good if you all you need is "sheep" musicians.

They are horrible if you wanna create great music.

AFD could never be bettered with the band members at that time

Why go chasing rainbows

Edited by Mysteron

What I want to know is? When does MTV play any videos?

This show is a joke. I never see any videos on MTV anymore. How can they have a 2 hour show about videos, when they don't play any? lol

MTV has lasted far beyong it's time. It is supposed to be a video music channel, but hasn't played videos in a very long time.

How far has the GNR community fallen?

I remember years ago when a month before the VMA's we would already have topics up about GNR making a surprise appearance and kicking off round 2 with new music.

Now, just 48 hours before the event we have all accepted seemingly that new music is never coming and GNR is now irrelevant.

How did Axl let this happen as I suspect no one after the VMA's in 2002 could ever have predicted this is where the new band would end up.

Part of me thinks that even Axl knows, sans reunion, that the party is over.

I remember watching their show at the VMA's and thinking it was all over. We hadn't seen Axl on stage in how many years and then he gives this downright pathetic performance in front of millions of people. That could have been his chance to prove everyone wrong and blow everyone else away. Instead we get a bloated, gangsta wannabe with a mickey mouse voice running out of breath every two lines. I remember reading that when Matt Sorum was asked about that show, his response was that was the moment they all knew a reunion would never happen. And why should it? So Axl can bring the rest of the guys down? Slash and Duff may as well be 35 all over again cause their performances don't show their true age. Axl sounds like a chipmunk on his last legs.

Like anything new GNR has been through apart from the 2011-2014 touring cycle (which had good moments and a few surprise returns of songs but mostly seemed comprised of same thing but weaker and going thru the motions), ya can't deny that it's intriguing whether you admire the music/performances or not... CD is weird and threatening in some schizo and alluring way, it's not perfect but it's not something that can be repelled, nor can it be peacefully sectioned off.

That VMA performance is pretty disturbing when you weigh up old GNR next to it but it's also a coherent direction for Axl Rose led GNR, a somewhat achievement, a somewhat middle finger...

The big performance of the night is something with Beyonce, and then Nicki Minaj will be performing Anaconda and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sir Mix a lot guest appearance.

That is really going to put butts in the seats.

I saw Fallon being advertised as appearing. In the old days that would have gotten the GNR alarm bells going off for everyone.

Lorde won best rock whatever, kinda says it all. If any rock acts show up, it'd probably Linkin Park or Black Keys. But the AMAs and Grammys had a similar vibe, rock is very far down the music pecking order at the moment.

Just heard she won for best rock act...

what the hell.