What's your favorite Izzy Stradlin album?

wasted

I haven't hear Like a Dog, Ride On, Wave of Heat so it's an uninformed choice but 117 seemed like an Izzy version of UYI.

How so is it like Illusion? Length? 117 is the longest Stradlin album, clocking in at a mammoth, 45 minutes - The Wall, eat your heart out!

I've heard an Izzy riff from one of his solo albums one time and it was cool. Not going to listen to all of them just for one riff any time soon. What's the songs with the best riffs in your opinion? It was just a cool fat rock riff.

You are really narrowing it down! Was it a fast up tempo rocker or, mid-tempo?

Mid tempo. Yeah, not much to go by.

Try,

Lot to Learn

Jump In Now

On Down the Road

Head On Out

Underground

Cuttin' the Rug

Up Jumped the Devil

Monkeys

Old Hat (if it is a slide riff you want)

All these have got great opening riffs. The top three are three of my favourite Izzy Stradlin songs incidentally.

I haven't hear Like a Dog, Ride On, Wave of Heat so it's an uninformed choice but 117 seemed like an Izzy version of UYI.

How so is it like Illusion? Length? 117 is the longest Stradlin album, clocking in at a mammoth, 45 minutes - The Wall, eat your heart out!

I've heard an Izzy riff from one of his solo albums one time and it was cool. Not going to listen to all of them just for one riff any time soon. What's the songs with the best riffs in your opinion? It was just a cool fat rock riff.

You are really narrowing it down! Was it a fast up tempo rocker or, mid-tempo?

Mid tempo. Yeah, not much to go by.

Try,

Lot to Learn

Jump In Now

On Down the Road

Head On Out

Underground

Cuttin' the Rug

Up Jumped the Devil

Monkeys

Old Hat (if it is a slide riff you want)

All these have got great opening riffs. The top three are three of my favourite Izzy Stradlin songs incidentally.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to make that list.

DieselDaisy: no luck, not one of the songs you've posted in your list. Listened to all of them.

I forgot to mention: it's before 2006, I remember that. The riff I'm talking about was played on his website on a loop. It was in 2005 or 2006. Think I'll just have to listen to all of his albums before 2006 after all. :facepalm:

Sounds like it could be from Like A Dog which was recorded 2003, but released, 2005. Try, 'Just Don't Know', 'On the Run' or 'Bomb' - which some believe is related to 'Do It For the Kids'.

It's not Bomb. I'll try the other two. Thanks again.

All Izzy's albums are superb. I find his solo discography, much superior to Slash's (and, Axl's sole album). If you want rockers, try Like A Dog, if you want ballads, try Fire, if you want a classic 'Izzy' mixture of those two, try On Down the Road or River; if you want fuzzy Link Wray style Hispanic-Americano, try 117 Degrees, if you want Reggae, try Miami or River, if you want Ron Wood, try the Ju Ju Hounds, if you want Ian McClagan, try River; if you want Duff Rose McKagan, try any Izzy album from 1998-2002. His albums are all rooted in the same mixture of styles but each one has a slightly different feel or slant.

Here is the discography:

Ju Ju Hounds (1992)

220px-Izzy_Stradlin_%26_the_Ju_Ju_Hounds

117 Degrees (1998)

220px-117_Degrees.jpg

Ride On (1999)

220px-Ride_On_%28Stradlin_album%29.jpg

River (2001)

220px-River_%28Stradlin_album%29.jpg

On Down the Road (2002)

220px-On_Down_The_Road_%28Stradlin_album

Like A Dog (2005)

220px-Like_A_Dog_%28Stradlin_album%29.jp

Miami (2007)

220px-Izzy_Stradlin_Miami.jpg

Fire, the Acoustic Album (2007)

220px-Izzy_Stradlin_Fire_Acoustic.jpg

Concrete (2008)

220px-Izzy_Stradlin_Concrete.jpg

Smoke (2009)

220px-Izzy_Stradlin_Smoke.jpg

Wave of Heat (2010)

220px-Izzy_Stradlin_Wave.jpg

The first five can be bought on compact disc. The remaining six have to be downloaded from itunes or amazon. Enjoy.

Sounds like it could be from Like A Dog which was recorded 2003, but released, 2005. Try, 'Just Don't Know', 'On the Run' or 'Bomb' - which some believe is related to 'Do It For the Kids'.

We don't "believe" its related, we know it is. Like A Dog is stuff from The Project (there's even a picture if them working on Snafu in Slash's book). When you listen to Like A Dog you're listening to Izzy's ideas for The Project

We don't "believe" its related, we know it is. Like A Dog is stuff from The Project (there's even a picture if them working on Snafu in Slash's book). When you listen to Like A Dog you're listening to Izzy's ideas for The Project

Well, I was excising caution. It is interesting how there is not a 'Stradlin' copyright on 'Do It For The Kids' though.

Ain't it a Bitch

Old Hat

Good Enough

Time Gone By

Really have a GNR feel. Definitely as good as Lies material or even UYI stuff like DNB and 14 Years.

Up Jumped the Devil could have been like DTJ 2.

That's why I think if they did a reunion record it would rely heavily on Izzy songs. With Slash bringing heavier riffs on solos for the big rocker and epics, one ballad probably an Izzy beefed up and one Axl/Slash epic. I don't think Izzy liked how his material got GNR'd but that's how I see if it it ever happened.

Even if it's not very original imo, I listen to Sweet Caress almost everyday. And I love Izzy's voice. I love his careless way of just making it flow naturally. I think it was a great contrast to what Axl was doing.

Edited by Rovim

juju hounds bootlegs are amazing , iMHO best live shit as far as "solo gnr" goes, maybe with exception of Snakepit 2001

Who was the band that opened for em on that tour? I remember reading that Alan Niven kicked the original opening band off the tour- they (said band) claimed, because they were blowing the Ju Ju's off the stage every night. They also said they were outseliing Izzy's merch so Niven got mad, jealous and kicked them off the tour. Could be a load of crap though. Can't remember the band name. Haven't heard Ju Ju live either so...

Like A Dog might be my third favourite. I love the fact it is, just rockers (I suppose he left the ballads out for Fire.). My favourite songs from that are, 'Just Don't Know', 'On The Run', 'Chop Away' and the title track.

Alright, finished listening to On Down The Road. First off, nothing comes close to Sweet Caress. First 3 songs are not my cup of tea. Second half of Monkeys is ok.

The title track is good, but nothing great imo. Sweet Caress is great. Coke'd, Got Some News, Way To Go, Please Go Home, and A Lot To Learn were all enjoyable to me.

It doesn't come anywhere close to Izzy's first album imo. Second half of On Down The Road is better then the first imo.

All in all, I get the concept, and even the first 3 songs have that cool Chuck Berry thing maybe? idk, but I think it's just not my thing.