What's your favorite Izzy Stradlin album?

wasted

Like A Dog might be my third favourite. I love the fact it is, just rockers (I suppose he left the ballads out for Fire.). My favourite songs from that are, 'Just Don't Know', 'On The Run', 'Chop Away' and the title track.

Alright, finished listening to On Down The Road. First off, nothing comes close to Sweet Caress. First 3 songs are not my cup of tea. Second half of Monkeys is ok.

The title track is good, but nothing great imo. Sweet Caress is great. Coke'd, Got Some News, Way To Go, Please Go Home, and A Lot To Learn were all enjoyable to me.

It doesn't come anywhere close to Izzy's first album imo. Second half of On Down The Road is better then the first imo.

All in all, I get the concept, and even the first 3 songs have that cool Chuck Berry thing maybe? idk, but I think it's just not my thing.

More Pitman farts are needed perhaps? Izzy could have taken, say 'Monkeys', and added five minutes onto it. Then he could have added a load of bleeps and farts - and an one minute long intro perhaps?.

It is proper music. On Down The Road is a brilliant Izzy record. I mean Izzy does have the odd iffy record; I for example would not direct you towards Wave of Heat - or even Ride On (which is a good record but some of the ideas were underdeveloped). On Down The Road however is tight and very musical.

Like A Dog might be my third favourite. I love the fact it is, just rockers (I suppose he left the ballads out for Fire.). My favourite songs from that are, 'Just Don't Know', 'On The Run', 'Chop Away' and the title track.

Alright, finished listening to On Down The Road. First off, nothing comes close to Sweet Caress. First 3 songs are not my cup of tea. Second half of Monkeys is ok.

The title track is good, but nothing great imo. Sweet Caress is great. Coke'd, Got Some News, Way To Go, Please Go Home, and A Lot To Learn were all enjoyable to me.

It doesn't come anywhere close to Izzy's first album imo. Second half of On Down The Road is better then the first imo.

All in all, I get the concept, and even the first 3 songs have that cool Chuck Berry thing maybe? idk, but I think it's just not my thing.

More Pitman farts are needed perhaps? Izzy could have taken, say 'Monkeys', and added five minutes onto it. Then he could have added a load of bleeps and farts - and an one minute long intro perhaps?.

It is proper music. On Down The Road is a brilliant Izzy record. I mean Izzy does have the odd iffy record; I for example would not direct you towards Wave of Heat - or even Ride On (which is a good record but some of the ideas were underdeveloped). On Down The Road however is tight and very musical.

The first half of your post is utter shit. Fuck you for that. Second half: so what can I listen to by Izzy in your opinion? I really like the Juju album, but I have yet to listen to anything else by the man that I can relate to.

Since you say that- that's where I'm going to start- Wave of Heat.

Over the years, I've listened to various bits and pieces of everything, but aside from a few Ju Ju songs I couldn't tell you which songs are from which albums. I'm in the midst of an intense Stones phase at the moment so I feel like its a good time to get more serious about solo Izzy. Since I'm a contrarian I'll start with Wave of Heat.

Perhaps the ballad route is best. Do you like Patience?

Try,

Gotta Say

Good Enough

Bleedin

Spazed

River

Chop Away

Since you say that- that's where I'm going to start- Wave of Heat.

Over the years, I've listened to various bits and pieces of everything, but aside from a few Ju Ju songs I couldn't tell you which songs are from which albums. I'm in the midst of an intense Stones phase at the moment so I feel like its a good time to get more serious about solo Izzy. Since I'm a contrarian I'll start with Wave of Heat.

Good album.

Wildhearts are a full band with a fan base so I could see this being true at a certain time.

Izzys failure to make it on his own is really Nivens fault and shows he wasn't right in saying that Izzy was GNR and Axl shouldn't do Nov Rain or his Elton Rose material. Niven was wrong. Izzys niche is really oblivion and that's cool and takes a lot of integrity. It's just not what people want from a stadium band. They want flying pianos n controversy.

Wildhearts are a full band with a fan base so I could see this being true at a certain time.

Izzys failure to make it on his own is really Nivens fault and shows he wasn't right in saying that Izzy was GNR and Axl shouldn't do Nov Rain or his Elton Rose material. Niven was wrong. Izzys niche is really oblivion and that's cool and takes a lot of integrity. It's just not what people want from a stadium band. They want flying pianos n controversy.

Alan was and still is full of shit. That is just my opinion. But he's a shitbag. Fuck his shit talking ass. He never understood Axl's importance to Gn'R, and he's a mullet head at heart.

Edited by Rovim

Alan was and still is full of shit. That is just my opinion. But he's a shitbag. Fuck his shit talking ass. He never understood Axl's importance to Gn'R, and he's a mullet head at heart.

I think Niven's attitude was beneficial in the beginning. He seems like a good manager for a club level band where sometimes he need someone to talk shit and brawl with other bands mgr's. He doesn't seem professional enough to manage a global band though. I kind of like em. I have commitment issues so I like the combo platters.

I think Niven's attitude was beneficial in the beginning. He seems like a good manager for a club level band where sometimes he need someone to talk shit and brawl with other bands mgr's. He doesn't seem professional enough to manage a global band though. I kind of like em. I have commitment issues so I like the combo platters.

I like his cowboy look. He was beneficial cause he had skills. Was relentless, and knew how to talk to people. Pulled some strings, and was convincing. But he took sides, he meddled. He wasn't right for the future of the band imo. He didn't like or appreciated what Axl was trying to do, and Axl was the leader of the band musically. Can't have a manager like that. That's no good.

Edited by Rovim

I like his cowboy look. He was beneficial cause he had skills. Was relentless, and knew how to talk to people. Pulled some strings, and was convincing. But he took sides, he meddled. He wasn't right for the future of the band imo. He didn't like or appreciated what Axl was trying to do, and Axl was the leader of the band musically. Can't have a manager like that. That's no good.

I agree with that. You still hear him pop up here and there ragging on the Illusion material. Whenever he pops up he's taking shots at Axl- even when he's writing articles about Izzy, its still mostly a jab at Axl. Then he ridicules shit like Coma seemingly unaware that it began as a Slash #. It just confirms and makes you understand Axl's decision to cut him out. How can you have a mgr. that doesn't believe in you? Axl was right to be paranoid, right to fire him. Could anyone have saved them? Kept them together? I don't know, but I'm certain that Niven wouldn't have. Seems like he'd have driven the wedge faster. He's a character though.

I agree with that. You still hear him pop up here and there ragging on the Illusion material. Whenever he pops up he's taking shots at Axl- even when he's writing articles about Izzy, its still mostly a jab at Axl. Then he ridicules shit like Coma seemingly unaware that it began as a Slash #. It just confirms and makes you understand Axl's decision to cut him out. How can you have a mgr. that doesn't believe in you? Axl was right to be paranoid, right to fire him. Could anyone have saved them? Kept them together? I don't know, but I'm certain that Niven wouldn't have. Seems like he'd have driven the wedge faster. He's a character though.

Boring he is not. That's for sure. Alan is like a fun asshole: we all know one.

Boring he is not. That's for sure. Alan is like a fun asshole: we all know one.

He might also be right on tin foil in some alternative classic rock universe, like inside the success of AFD must be like being on coke where all your dreams come true, you've got 2 minutes to live the dream. But the reality is the Tacoma Dome, Tuesday night 11.57pm, single moms want Axl to talk them out of an abortion and their boyfriends to fuck them to November Rain or the reality of having to do Vegas Residencies to survive, it's not all authenticity and down to earth craftmanship. Sometimes a no show is as good as a hit.

Think a lot of what he says makes sense. But he's also in a world of butthurt over Axl. I think it's true with YCBM, DC, Nov Rain and some more Izzy songs. Civil War maybe too. They had record that would've been fine and they didn't need to do much different.

But then he's also hating on RNTDTH, Coma and the Elton Rose songs. In that interview one guy says Nov Rain was too long. I think they are kind if in a elitist classic rock mode in that interview. But GNR fans love Nov Rain the way it is? They like Eatranged too. They also complain about the videos. People like those videos. Coma isn't just an Axl song, it's more of a Slash. I felt like he didn't get Axls cathartic style for RNDTH. Izzy kind of brought the riff in I think. He just seems to find ways to hate on Axl and because he got fired. It's kind of a bit obvious. So everything he says is suspect. Trying to get Axl fired or clashing with Axl at that point is pretty precarious. And so much of what Axl was doing paid off and is successful today, so he was kind of wrong. Maybe putting out a more modest album wouldn't have worked but he never acknowledges that kind of idea. He's just on a one way douchebag street.

Think a lot of what he says makes sense. But he's also in a world of butthurt over Axl. I think it's true with YCBM, DC, Nov Rain and some more Izzy songs. Civil War maybe too. They had record that would've been fine and they didn't need to do much different.

But then he's also hating on RNTDTH, Coma and the Elton Rose songs. In that interview one guy says Nov Rain was too long. I think they are kind if in a elitist classic rock mode in that interview. But GNR fans love Nov Rain the way it is? They like Eatranged too. They also complain about the videos. People like those videos. Coma isn't just an Axl song, it's more of a Slash. I felt like he didn't get Axls cathartic style for RNDTH. Izzy kind of brought the riff in I think. He just seems to find ways to hate on Axl and because he got fired. It's kind of a bit obvious. So everything he says is suspect. Trying to get Axl fired or clashing with Axl at that point is pretty precarious. And so much of what Axl was doing paid off and is successful today, so he was kind of wrong. Maybe putting out a more modest album wouldn't have worked but he never acknowledges that kind of idea. He's just on a one way douchebag street.

- He hates the cheesy videos

- He is very, pro-Izzy

- He thinks Axl is a complete pain in the arse

- He has an out-spoken and humorous British manner of speaking

Of course I like Alan Niven. He is virtually me, transplanted into a aging Anglo-Kiwi hippy haha.

Is he a bit harsh on the epics? Perhaps, but you have to remember when those albums came out, there were a lot of Appetite lovers who thought, ''what the hell is this cheesy shit?'', when hearing NR. His opinion sort of represents, an extent mindset at the time.

But it was just 2 or 3 songs at the time. And he was wrong and is still banging on about it. More butthurt than before. He's stupid.

Izzy had a ton of his songs on UYI. And a lot of them are as out of step with AFD as NR.,

Niven completely fucked up by pissing off Axl, it sounds like he tried to fire him but I doubt anyone can be that stupid.

Everything Axl did was to live up to the hype and move past AFD. Job done.

I just don't think the industry, Niven is a like a microcosm of the attitude, didn't want them to be untouchable, uncontrollable. They wanted them producing product that was manageable and sustainable. Not burning out and going big, which probably made and broke the band.,

At this point he has to admit, Axl was right.

I've bought everything Izzy has put out so far except for a few early singles (haven't been able to find them on eBay for a good price yet). Love his stuff! ^_^

Favorites:

- Ju Ju

- On Down The Road

- River

The others are solid as well though.

I like Time Gone By, sounds so classic without trying. same for Far Below Me Now and On down the Road.

Gone Dead Train is a cool cover from The Performance soundtrack?

Pressure Drop would have been cool on the GNR tour, with Time Gone By and Ain't it a Bitch for a GNR album.

Niven completely fucked up by pissing off Axl, it sounds like he tried to fire him but I doubt anyone can be that stupid.

I think Niven joins the great proportion of people who have, ever come into contact with Axl then; and a fairly illustrious crowd, containing as it does, just about every former member of Guns N' Roses!

I think Niven joins the great proportion of people who have, ever come into contact with Axl then; and a fairly illustrious crowd, containing as it does, just about every former member of Guns N' Roses!

Blessed them all to have worked with him.

Yeah but they are in the band, Niven picking sides as a manager only goes one way, they aren't going to sack him are they. I don't think the band ever considered sacking Axl. Other than that I just don't get the drama over UYI. Axl let them do whatever they wanted, Izzy is virtually doing solo songs on the album. Slash gave Axl whole songs to sing over. Yet they be grudge him Nov Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. And even after it was hugely successful Niven is still crying in the press about it 20 years later.

The reality is they needed Axl to be huge and every record the other guys put out without Axl shows this. If Axl was working on those songs half of them would be great, maybe even hits like DC and Patience. I could be wrong but even on UYI the more Axl is involved on an Izzy song the more GNR it sounds, like YCBM and Pretty Tied Up. But on ones where Izzy went more solo Dust N Bones or Double Talkin Jive it sounds less like GNR. Then you look at CD and it sounds like GNR without Izzy and Slash, which leads you to think well it's Axl's rock and slightly cheesy style that is GNR. Even on Izzy's solo albums they are much more sleazy and rough around the edges, Axl would probably tidy some of the songs up and put a long Slash solo on it and add vocal outro. Then it would be a GNR track.

So you've got the cool junkie rock n roll hipsters and Axl is trying to make them into a huge selling rock band. But they didn't seem to like it.

Edited by wasted

Yeah but they are in the band,

Mick Wall, Doug Goldstein, Merck, Irving Azoff, Bob Ezrin, Roy Thomas Baker, Tom Zutaut, ehh, Dr Pepper and Guitar Hero, the entire city of St Louis: everybody who comes into contact with W. Axl Rose, pisses him off eventually, unless, they are willing to be over and take it up the arse a la Dizzy Reed. The reason is, Axl possesses the mental age of a toddler.

Yeah but they are in the band,

Mick Wall, Doug Goldstein, Merck, Irving Azoff, Bob Ezrin, Roy Thomas Baker, Tom Zutaut, ehh, Dr Pepper and Guitar Hero, the entire city of St Louis: everybody who comes into contact with W. Axl Rose, pisses him off eventually, unless, they are willing to be over and take it up the arse a la Dizzy Reed. The reason is, Axl possesses the mental age of a toddler.

No he doesn't, sometimes he gets pissed off. It's rock n roll there's a these egotistical guys fighting over shit. But 20 years later only Niven is that bothered about these things. They just can't face it that Axl was the main ingredient that made GNR what it was. For reason they wanted stamp on anything he wanted to do. I just don't see where they are coming from. I guess it's just two different styles crossing. I just can't see why they can't see that and just let it go. Axl isn't some kind of uber douche tyrannical monster, he just likes Elton and Queen. If you want to be the manager resolve the differences in the band. Niven failed and got fired. He didn't even want to work with Axl, he went and managed Izzy so what's the problem. He acts like Axl stole something from him. We all know that without Axl, the Izzy n Slash material wasn't going to sell 35 mil like UYI right? Okay Axl didn't do exactly what they wanted but he did enough for them to sell a shitload of records. I just don't see what the big problem is.
  • Like 1