the whole axl is retiring and dissolving gnr rumor

Honestly though, with someone as moody and temperamental as Axl Rose is, how many times realistically do you think he's leaned back in a chair and said "fuck it," to someone?

I don't doubt for a moment that he's probably flirted with the idea of quitting. He's probably flirted with it thousands of times and said it aloud in the hundreds.

We all want to give up on ourselves from time to time. The idea of surrender is sometimes really appealing compared to staring down your problems on a daily basis.

I'd bet that whoever spread this rumor, probably heard Axl say it was quitting time. They were reporting the relative truth. But Axl isn't a quitter. He may be an under-achiever, but he certainly isn't a quitter.

• Like 3

It isn't unrealistic at this point. It is safe to presume the reaction CD got isn't what he had hoped for and the lack of any new material with the current lineup since, I don't know. For someone who isn't retiring soon, he isn't exactly that active musically aside from the gigs they play on and off.

Honestly though, with someone as moody and temperamental as Axl Rose is, how many times realistically do you think he's leaned back in a chair and said "fuck it," to someone?

I don't doubt for a moment that he's probably flirted with the idea of quitting. He's probably flirted with it thousands of times and said it aloud in the hundreds.

We all want to give up on ourselves from time to time. The idea of surrender is sometimes really appealing compared to staring down your problems on a daily basis.

I'd bet that whoever spread this rumor, probably heard Axl say it was quitting time. They were reporting the relative truth. But Axl isn't a quitter. He may be an under-achiever, but he certainly isn't a quitter.

Some people had said they heard Axl bring up wanting to quit but it's like anyone in business, sometimes you just want to jump ship (bad analogy?)

276539850_700.jpg

You do have to wonder how far off retirement is if Axl isn't going to release a new record. I mean you could say he is retired as far as being a recording artist goes. There's also only so many times he can go out playing the same show. I still live in hope that one day there will be a new show or album (or both!). As I said in another thread even shaking up the setlist a bit and a new stage design would go a long way. Maybe once he has enough cash he'll just call it quits and retire. Would be a sad day!

Interestingly Billy Corgan (who's in a similar position to Axl regarding the band name) has said in a recent interview that he's contemplated stopping using the Smashing Pumpkins name. I just can't see Axl stopping using the GN'R name unless he plans to quit music for good.

Edited by BassistSeb

There is nothing similar about Pumpkins and GNR. Corgan wrote all the Pumpkins music, hardly the situation with Axl.

Corgan is also putting out 2 new SP albums over the next year along with continuing a really great reissue campaign. Fucking hell Axl, imagine that! Putting out actual music!

• Like 1

There's also only so many times he can go out playing the same show.

Challenge accepted

Whilst there's nothing stopping him doing so people will lose interest after a while. A great example is Roger Waters. Guy came to London on his Dark Side Of The Moon tour once in 2006, twice in 2007 and twice in 2008. The 2008 dates didn't sell well, they did a buy one get one free on tickets. Why? It was exactly the same show as 2006 and 2007. Sure it was a truly phenomenal show but with lots of other acts touring and ticket prices not getting any cheaper people probably won't shell out to see the shame show again. Hell I'm a diehard Floyd/Waters fan and I gave the 2008 shows a miss.

Re the Pumpkins comment sure behind the scenes it's very different to Guns, ie Billy doing the lion's share of writing and playing but there's still a huge section of fans that think he should give up the name and that 'it isn't the Pumpkins without D'Arcy, James and Jimmy....' etc. Although having said that Oceania was a huge success amongst critics and fans.

Edited by BassistSeb

Even if he ever really did "quit," I can't imagine a day when he would formally announce it. It would serve as a supreme humiliation and would just give the press ammunition to shoot at him with.

He just wouldn't say anything and fade into the background. He would go quietly and with no fanfare, which is exactly how he prefers it.

But what would he do? Play Nintendo and feed his cats? Take up gardening? I'm sure he does all that stuff already.

He works when he wants to and (if he) needs to. In the interim, he tends to his hobby's, hangs with his friends & family and goes to the movies. Why retire? He's probably pretty comfortable with what he's doing.

There is nothing similar about Pumpkins and GNR. Corgan wrote all the Pumpkins music, hardly the situation with Axl.

Corgan is also putting out 2 new SP albums over the next year along with continuing a really great reissue campaign. Fucking hell Axl, imagine that! Putting out actual music!

The actual music part is debatable. :lol:

Someone with Ron Thal in his avatar is shit talking Corgan's songwriting? Is this a joke?

• Like 3

Someone with Ron Thal in his avatar is shit talking Corgan's songwriting? Is this a joke?

I mean, BBF is a brilliant songwriter (listen to his acoustic album) but Corgan? He's a) written many hits in different genres b) a super profilic artist