Teacher thread

AxlsMainMan

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the end of my first semester as a teacher. I gave each of my students the grades for their report card yesterday - overall, they've done quite well. The next semester begins on Monday, but I don't have as many classes during spring. In fact, I'll only teach Norwegian this semester. I won't make as much money, but I'll have a lot more time for college and being social.

• Like 1

Thinking 'bout taking a teaching job in Qatar. Simultaneously excited, nervous, and scared about the idea, though.

That sounds like a good opportunity.

I'm returning to work tomorrow after a long-ass Christmas break.

I ended up wussing out :wacko:

Started teaching Gatsby today. My favorite. :)

I partially got into teaching hoping to teach that book someday :lol: I've never been able to choose between it or Catcher in the Rye as my favorite book, though.

I did Gatsby in Year 12. Fuckin backward Australia. :lol:

I did it in Grade 12 here in Canada as well...and then again the following year for American Lit. in university :lol:

Anyways, I've been sick as a dog all this week. I love the kindergarteners, but the way they cough and sneeze on you if you let them or don't wash their hands after using the bathroom can be problematic.

Edited by AxlsMainMan

I partially got into teaching hoping to teach that book someday :lol: I've never been able to choose between it or Catcher in the Rye as my favorite book, though.

Wow. You're so outrageous and original.

Because I enjoy two literary classics? Whatever you say, chump. Did you have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread or are you simply trolling for attention?

Edited by AxlsMainMan
  • Like 1

My tutor for my CSCS card class is great!

Scottish guy, salt of the Earth kind of guy and intelligent too!

Swears like a sailor and mutters his own opinions under his breath when reading out answers, and he gives us all the answers through teaching us.

Marking our work for us at the end of each day staying to well after class is dismissed to do so, leaving neat little pieces of post-it notes with all the correct answers if any are wrong high lighting any questions left half answered or unanswered - giving you a chance to complete what is needed and learning what you've missed. Great teacher.

He also doesn't mind if you just get up and walk out and take a deuce in the bathroom or fetch some water from the lobby... Or if you're late! :D - Just as long as you do what's in the book and learn.

Edited by Snake-Pit

• 3 weeks later...

I've started getting principal and vice-principal supply work. While I enjoy the feeling of slowly but surely moving up the ladder, the truly endless paperwork and dealing with problem children is rather stressful.

That's cool, man. I still haven't decided if I want to go that route myself, or continue with a PhD and start teaching at university level after a while.

I've started getting principal and vice-principal supply work. While I enjoy the feeling of slowly but surely moving up the ladder, the truly endless paperwork and dealing with problem children is rather stressful.

That's cool, man. I still haven't decided if I want to go that route myself, or continue with a PhD and start teaching at university level after a while.

Is that even an option? At my former university they only let staff do the lecturing. So you'd basically have to be on the research staff to be given courses to lecture -- they didn't hire professional teachers for the job. It wasn't at all popular among the staff, either, most researchers would prefer to spend their work-time doing research -- which is kinda what they have been educated for -- not lecturing, and many of them really weren't good at it, either. So the university might have saved costs, but the students suffered.