Discuss your ABSOLUTE favorite songs

Broskirose

Prostitute. The music is fucking perfect. Axl sounds too overproduced in some spots, but I can't even complain because the song is too good overall. I'm so glad I saw them play it live, fuck that was good. The performance from the night before was a bit more intense, but I don't even care. That was a 'GNR bucket list' thing.

Nightrain. This and Jungle are what first stood out on AFD, but the live versions are why I love this song, especially from the Illusions tour (even though most era's have had awesome 'Nightrain's.) The guitars are so fucking awesome <3

This is my favorite country song of all-time, and probably my all-time favorite song regardless of genre at this point as well. Oddly enough, it's one of the few songs in Keith's catalog that he didn't write, and a big part of the reason why I look up to Keith in the first place is because of his songwriting. Oh well, I love that guitar lick, and I still can't play it properly.

But this is probably the song that sold me on the fact that I made the right career choice when I got in the country radio biz. I'll never get tired of it and I'll always crank it to 11.

Edited by The Real McCoy

IMO, the two best songs of all time are as follows, one rocker and one ballad:

Rocker

Great guitar work, great voice, very catchy. The ultimate rock song, perfect.

Ballad

Has been covered by everybody. The original is a classic. Lennon's version is a classic. This posted version is a classic. Best ballad of all time.

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

Billy Joel - The Stranger

I adore this song. The sly backstreet alley piano intro, the bass, the lyrics...just fantastic. There's a certain groove to the verses that just fucking gets me going every time.

Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out on Broadway)

I debated on whether to post the studio version or the much more lively, well, live version from Songs in the Attic. I went with the studio version. I think it's the worst produced and mixed song Billy Joel has ever released. Yet I feel like it's sort of part of the charm.

I adore The Stranger. One of my all-time favourite songs also. Especially when he goes into the last verse with, "You may never understand..." and sings it with a bit more intensity. That song gets me every single time I listen to it.

Vienna is my favorite off that album or any Billy Joel for that matter.

Firstly, it describes a typical male experience of seeing a desirable female and being constantly thwarted, and, female indifference (to that male's desire): ''seems like everytime I see you...you got something else to do''. Here is the chorus,

Nadine, honey is that you?
Oh, Nadine, honey is that you?
Seems like every time I see you
Darling, you got something else to do

It is a typical male scenario.

Chuck does it with an immense amount of his usual brand of humour, urban slang and Americana (''Cadillac'', ''Southern diplomat'', ''Yellow Cab''). The lyrics are so sharp, they should carry a health warning. First, the man does not merely see Nadine and think ''she is hot'' (as with most cock rock songs) or '' she is beautiful'' or, ''her eyes are beautiful'' like some nancy pancy ballad. Chuck is much wittier and more astute than that. It is a love song, but a love song set in an urban environment,

As I got on a city bus and found a vacant seat
I thought I saw my future bride walking up the street

The everyday experience of, getting on a bus! The song then proceeds, as the male is constantly seeing Nadine about the city but, not getting within proximity of her, through a series of humorous incidents,

I saw her from the corner when she turned and doubled back
And started walkin' toward a coffee colored Cadillac
I was pushin' through the crowd tryna get to where she's at
And I was campaign shouting like a southern diplomat

''Coffee colored Cadillac'' As Springsteen states on Hail Hail, Rock N' Roll: ''why coffee colored''? It is the attention to detail.

Downtown searching for her, looking all around
Saw her getting in a yellow cab heading uptown
I caught a loaded taxi, paid up everybody's tab
Flip the twenty dollar bill and told him catch that yellow cab

I love the way Chuck emphasises, ''catch that yellow cab'' by altering the rhythm of the vocal line.

She moved around like a wayward summer breeze

''Wayward Summer Breeze'': poetry.

Go, driver, go, go on, catch her for me please
Moving through the traffic like a mounted cavalier
Leaning out the taxi window trying to make her hear