Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson

Powerage5

Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A lot of people criticize the band for sounding the same after 40 years but that is actually their best quality. No other band has kept on rocking like they did. I wouldn't go as far as dismissing their post-Back In Black albums. Many of them have been inconsistent but all of them have great songs on them. Flick of the Switch may be their most underrated album. It is as raw as any pre-Highway to Hell Bon era album.

I agree Brian is the best replacement singer a band can have. No transition has ever felt natural. I can imagine being a fan in 1980, upset that the band got a new singer when their previous singer isn't even cold in the ground but if I put on the record and listen to Hells Bells, my disappointment would fade away. Bon's presence has been felt ever since, according to long time friends and companions with the band, they still talk of him and the old days and Brian still considers himself "the new guy".

I previously voted for Dan Evans as a joke, that was someone they had to get rid of quick. Supposedly Malcolm and Angus got fed up with his glam rock style but apparently they were considering being a glam band at first. Bon's first televised performance with them had him dressed in drag. One thing AC/DC never was with a punk band. They may have toured with them, played to their audience but they were never a punk band. Apparently Sex Pistols copied their style, especially Bon's, the one thing about them is they don't take shit from anybody. Punk fans would spit on them and they spit back.

• Like 2

Anyone here agree with me that AC/DC is effectively in its nu Guns stage now, in this post-Malcolm and Phil era? At least with them there it was a majority of original members. But now with no Bon, no Mark Evans (the guy was on the majority of the Bon albums which are the classic albums after all), no Malcolm, no Phil. ..it's the Angus Young show now as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone here agree with me that AC/DC is effectively in its nu Guns stage now, in this post-Malcolm and Phil era? At least with them there it was a majority of original members. But now with no Bon, no Mark Evans (the guy was on the majority of the Bon albums which are the classic albums after all), no Malcolm, no Phil. ..it's the Angus Young show now as far as I'm concerned.

The difference between them and NuGnR is that each ACDC lineup actually made new music.

Also that Brian has been accepted by the majority of AC/DC fans. It is not like Bon left the band over issues with other bandmates, he's dead. Phil tried to have someone killed so he's out and Malcolm has dementia. So an AC/DC reunion is impossible.

Oh and nobody gives a shit about Mark Evans, Cliff Williams has been around since Powerage.

That's the biggest difference. We've had 30+ years of music from Brian, Angus and Cliff. Malcolm only left because of his health so really the only change would be Phil had it not been from Malcolm's illness. It was a shame to lose two members at once but they brought in Stevie and Chris who have both been in the band before. It's not like some no name session guys came in. The only difference between the current line-up and the line-up that played the monstrous set in Donington in 1991 is Stevie. Let's not forget that Phil still played on the new album before he lost it. Was the AC/DC of 1983-1994 not AC/DC either? Only 2/5 original members at that point.

• Like 2

That's the biggest difference. We've had 30+ years of music from Brian, Angus and Cliff. Malcolm only left because of his health so really the only change would be Phil had it not been from Malcolm's illness. It was a shame to lose two members at once but they brought in Stevie and Chris who have both been in the band before. It's not like some no name session guys came in. The only difference between the current line-up and the line-up that played the monstrous set in Donington in 1991 is Stevie. Let's not forget that Phil still played on the new album before he lost it. Was the AC/DC of 1983-1994 not AC/DC either? Only 2/5 original members at that point.

All of this. There's no way you can draw comparisons between the lineup changes in GN'R and AC/DC.

• 6 months later...

I caught up ACDC in the razors edge period, I have always a Beano fan. Bon Scott is great of course, but Brian for me is the king.

His vocals on Back in Black alone earn him the better singer title. As a frontman Bon was more unique thou. But Brian is great and has a unique style.

Dave Evans, dont go there.

14 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Brian is the better vocalist but Bon was the real deal as a frontman 

i half agree with that! :P Bon was voted best frontman by Classic Rock magazine so yeah the  real deal is a given. i tolerated Brian Johnson on Back in Black but after that...not my cup of tea. 

5 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i half agree with that! :P Bon was voted best frontman by Classic Rock magazine so yeah the  real deal is a given. i tolerated Brian Johnson on Back in Black but after that...not my cup of tea. 

i was basing it on technical ability. Brian had CRAZY power to his vocals.

i much prefer the Bon era though

• Like 1

Just now, -W.A.R- said:

i was basing it on technical ability. Brian had CRAZY power to his vocals.

i much prefer the Bon era though

like i said all i really have to go by is Back in Black and a few other songs i've half heard here and there. on some commercial they were playing Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution ( just a snippet of the music not the vocals ) and i thought it was good so i played it on YouTube. i couldn't finish it. it's just a matter of taste, i'm sure he is a nice guy :) 

9 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

can i get a translation please?? :lol:

Well y'know how in America people from the big cities are considered cool and intelligent whereas the people from outside, as well as further down south are considered yokels?  Well we have the same thing here where people from London and the South East such as myself (of course!) and Pappy for another example are the cool intelligent ones and then people from up North or further down south by the coast and the ones in the middle are sort of the yokels :lol:  Now in the same way you have like Okies from Oaklahoma and then people from Texas and Delaware and New Orleans and they all come with their attendant stereotype we have the same thing here, for example Geordies are people from Newcastle, for famous examples you have Brian whatshisface from AC/DC, Sting (though he tries not to sound like one :lol:) and Jimmy Nail.  Then you have people from Liverpool, also sort of yokels, called scousers, famous examples include The Beatles etc, then you have the ones from Manchester or Mancs, people like Morrissey, Liam Gallagher, Ian Brown etc etc.  Listen to the way Ian Brown speaks...then listen to the way Charlie Watts and Pete Townshend speak...people like Ian Brown, Liam Gallagher, ever notice how you can barely understand what the fuck the latter are talking about yet Charlie Watts and Pete talk like human beings? :lol:  Thats the difference between our cool folk and the unintelligble northerners.  Forum examples include Diesel Daisy, Dazey, if you were to hear these people talk it is as if they have been shot in the throat and are gurgling incoherently prior to their untimely demise :lol:

Right, so thats a bit of background, now Geordies are ones from Newcastle, i equated Bon to them in look because...well, he dressed a bit like a hick, tight jeans, hairy chest, great bit long permy metaller hair, thats my mental image of Bon, God rest his dear soul.  'propping up the Saloon bar' I'm sure you know what that means, the sawdust reference I'm sure you know what that means if you're from Texas ( no offence :lol: ) and the word 'gaff' just means place, in the way Americans might say joint, sawdust joint, sawdust gaff.  I hope this was helpful! :D

basically us lads from the south east dress cool, listen to better music, drive better cars and generally live in the here and now :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

Well y'know how in America people from the big cities are considered cool and intelligent whereas the people from outside, as well as further down south are considered yokels?  Well we have the same thing here where people from London and the South East such as myself (of course!) and Pappy for another example are the cool intelligent ones and then people from up North or further down south by the coast and the ones in the middle are sort of the yokels :lol:  Now in the same way you have like Okies from Oaklahoma and then people from Texas and Delaware and New Orleans and they all come with their attendant stereotype we have the same thing here, for example Geordies are people from Newcastle, for famous examples you have Brian whatshisface from AC/DC, Sting (though he tries not to sound like one :lol:) and Jimmy Nail.  Then you have people from Liverpool, also sort of yokels, called scousers, famous examples include The Beatles etc, then you have the ones from Manchester or Mancs, people like Morrissey, Liam Gallagher, Ian Brown etc etc.  Listen to the way Ian Brown speaks...then listen to the way Charlie Watts and Pete Townshend speak...people like Ian Brown, Liam Gallagher, ever notice how you can barely understand what the fuck the latter are talking about yet Charlie Watts and Pete talk like human beings? :lol:  Thats the difference between our cool folk and the unintelligble northerners.  Forum examples include Diesel Daisy, Dazey, if you were to hear these people talk it is as if they have been shot in the throat and are gurgling incoherently prior to their untimely demise :lol:

Right, so thats a bit of background, now Geordies are ones from Newcastle, i equated Bon to them in look because...well, he dressed a bit like a hick, tight jeans, hairy chest, great bit long permy metaller hair, thats my mental image of Bon, God rest his dear soul.  'propping up the Saloon bar' I'm sure you know what that means, the sawdust reference I'm sure you know what that means if you're from Texas ( no offence :lol: ) and the word 'gaff' just means place, in the way Americans might say joint, sawdust joint, sawdust gaff.  I hope this was helpful! :D

basically us lads from the south east dress cool, listen to better music, drive better cars and generally live in the here and now :lol:

Arlington, that is where they bury those soldiers innit?

12 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Well it is isn't it? 

Fair dues it weren't THAT Arlington :lol:

Yet here I am, with my pigeons and whippets, and my outdoors lavatory, wearing my cloth cap, being able to discern the difference between the place name and the military cemetery.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yet here I am, with my pigeons and whippets, and my outdoors lavatory, wearing my cloth cap, being able to discern the difference between the place name and the military cemetery.

And you're my go to person for academic help too :lol:  I think anyone whoose ever read any of our posts knows you're 50 million times cleverer than me, i just love winding yous lot up :lol: