Slash had no idea what the November Rain music video was about..

Pretty much every artist I can think of who was around during the MTV heyday looks back in amusement or worse at most of their videos.

Time to get Tinyrobot and Mike into anti-Slash group therapy sessions!!! :tongue2:

THIS. Give me band that doesnt look back on their videos and think " cheeeeeeeezy"

Doug Goldstein: "I'd say she (Stephanie Seymour) was the unstable one in the relationship. The first time I met her, she opened the door naked. She goes, "no you can come in". Sorry, gotta go."

Andy Morahan: "It was like Spinal Tap with money (making the "trilogy"). I still don't know to this day why, in "November Rain", you only see half of Stephanie Seymour's face in the coffin."

I will never understand why he has this constant need to bash and humilliate the songs that made GN'R massive and popular, just because they were written by Axl? Some months ago he trashed SCOM... what's next, Estranged? And the worst is that he words it out as if it was all a big joke.... "i have no clue, i didn't care, i did my thing, GN'R sucked, they were Axl's shitty ballads I hated to the bone, blah blah blah.."

Seriously, it ain't cool anymore.

He isn't trashing the song. He said he doesn't know what Axl's concept for the video was - an opinion not exclusively held by just him.

The agenda you are desperate to find isn't there.

Edited by SlashRock

Well, videos are kind of corny very few are more than some borrowed ideas from movies or art.

The point is why say you don't understand it's concept? Maybe because Axl took it so serious.

But it's still a great video and its not that hard to understand. Axl is getting married and it rains and maybe Axl or she dies or something?

Not many bands take such a negative view of their videos? They just dance between the rain drops, Slash does that enough for his albums. It's obvious Slach doesn't like those songs, it's too Axl and he doesn't want anything to do with them.

• Like 2

He's just saying he never understood the CONCEPT of the video. He isn't bashing the song or anything. And he is right. I mean what the fuck?! It starts to rain, all the people's just flipping off and Stephanie dies?! For what reason? Why jumping trough the wedding cake?

Can you tell me the concept?

All he said is he wasn't there. Just for his scenes.

Why searching for something negative in it?

• Like 1

He's just saying he never understood the CONCEPT of the video. He isn't bashing the song or anything. And he is right. I mean what the fuck?! It starts to rain, all the people's just flipping off and Stephanie dies?! For what reason? Why jumping trough the wedding cake?

Why are people so dumb?

Dude, I'd understand if a random fan says "uh oh ah I don't understand the concept, lolololol" but Slash??? WTF he's the main guitarist! It's his fucking band too! He didn't know nothing about the video? His sense of involvement and compromise to his job makes me want to pick him as the employee of the century.

That carelessness he talks about now and the way he poses as "I'm too cool to care about anything" is what is annoying and retarded. He's bashing the video, a video where he appears and now he acts as "I never knew I was in that video, was I?". Pffff...

• Like 1

there's no concept, it's just a rock video? Does the YCBM video make sense?

Slash just doesn't like videos when it's an Axl thing, but now he's doing a video for Beanth the Savage Sun about poaching elephants? Rock n Roll! If it was about the massacre at dolphin bay it would be gay. What's the difference between Don't Cry video and NR video.

Honestly makes sense it's like Keef trying to work with Freddie Mercury/Elton John or something.

Just have to accept there's going to be a lot Slash wouldn't like about Axl. But why keep highlighting it? and running Axl song down that were hits for GNR.

Without SCOM and November Rain and few Izzy songs you virtually got a tuneless/hitless album.

Here's the Slash UYI album:

Garden of Eden

Don't Damn Me

Coma

Civl War

Get in the Ring

Locomotive

against

YCBM (Stradlin)

Don't Cry (Stradln)

Nov Rain (Rose)

Estranged (Rose)

• Like 2

Well, videos are kind of corny very few are more than some borrowed ideas from movies or art.

The point is why say you don't understand it's concept? Maybe because Axl took it so serious.

But it's still a great video and its not that hard to understand. Axl is getting married and it rains and maybe Axl or she dies or something?

Not many bands take such a negative view of their videos? They just dance between the rain drops, Slash does that enough for his albums. It's obvious Slach doesn't like those songs, it's too Axl and he doesn't want anything to do with them.

November Rain video isn't corny. It's meant to tell a love story of two people who get married, have a wedding and a storm takes place in the middle of the party. Then there is a elipsis to the funeral part. We don't know if the bride died because of the storm or something else. I think it's just a metaphore of a relationship ending. I don't see why it's so hard to understand but we will never know what's the real interpretation of it, because maybe it was meant to have an "open" meaning.

But aside from all that, which I think it's pretty simple, the value of this video resides in the moment it was released: MTV era, all teenagers watched it and Axl was a teen idol as well as a sex symbol for girls (and boys too). In this video he looks like a prince and he's the star of a love story, which includes wedding, bride and a beautiful dress, something most girls relate to. In a commercial sense, this video is the bomb. It had all the necessary elements to capture the attention of teenage girls and make them dream about the blue prince. Yes, it may appear corny and retarded from the point of view of a bitter old hag or one of those macho men who only want to watch some guy being shot in the head, but that doesn't erase the fact that the video is loved by a lot of people, even non GNR fans.

It's okay if Slash doesn't want a thing to do with this kind of songs or videos. Should have thought of that before putting his face on them, huh?

Thing is he doesn't need to take a shit on this work he was part of too. He's so desperate to act indifferent towards an era that unfortunately (for him) will haunt him all of his life that he becomes ridiculous when giving this sort of answers.

I know it must be crap that he's still asked about GNR after so many years, but that all he's gonna get until he makes music that transcends GNR. And so far, he hasn't achieved that.

I think it's an iconic video. Just that it isn't shakespeare, not that videos are generally that cutting edge, although some videos did showcase fast cutting that eventually got into movies. Nov Rain was the jackpot all around for the band. It probably meant a lot to Axl. It's a big thing to him because it's his song and it worked.

But the others probably and seem to have never wanted to that kind of song in the first place. So that's the origin of it.

And as much as I'm not a massive fan of it, I don't play it every time it rains, I think it's very important for GNR and it's loved around the world.

I don't know if it is annoying for Axl to hear Slash running it down like this, but you might hazard a guess he'd be pissed.

Slash is soloing his ass off on top of a piano. Then later he's like I'm too cool for it. Look for a positive please.

• Like 2

I don't think all videos are corny just because they are 'music videos'. Whoever thinks like must be a limited person with very little knowledge in visual arts.

Guns N' Roses wasn't a band that would stand out because of the "concept" of their videos. There are bands who have worked on their image and visuals way more than GNR, for example Tool or Aphex Twin or Daft Punk.

GNR doesn't have other videos outside of the famous trilogy that are as popular, and that's because Axl & Co. were never interested in working that side of the band. You can tell this by looking at the general approach they give to the image. Except for the banned AFD artwork, the rest of the album covers are below average. The logos, offical merchandising and later, the websites, are all mediocre. Compare them to NIN and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

So yeah, Nov Rain, Don't Cry and Estranged are definitely the best they could achieve regarding visuals and I don't think they are bad at all, considering that apparently was Axl the only one giving a heck about these things. If Slash and the rest of the band didn't support the videos ideas I can see how that work was handed to someone else.

The point is, don't complain about the work other people did for you if at the moment you didn't collaborate with anything, only complained about it but later you benefitted a lot from it.

• Like 1

Slash Has 'No Idea' What The 'November Rain' Music Video Is About

For everyone who's been trying to figure out the meaning behind the Guns N' Roses video "November Rain" since its release in 1992, you may want to stop trying because lead guitarist Slash doesn't know either.

In a conversation with HuffPost Live about his new album "World On Fire," the guitar legend made a shocking confession.

"To tell you the truth, I have no idea [what 'November Rain' is about]," Slash told host Marc Lamont Hill. "It was a concept. The song itself is pretty self-explanatory, but the video is so complex."

The song appears on the band's "Use Your Illusion I" album. Slash said when vocalist Axl Rose was writing it, "It was so epic, it was like a movie. And I, not being a huge fan of videos and making videos especially, I just showed up for my scenes."

"I [wrote] my own scene," he continued "... and I never paid attention to the rest of the whole production. So at the end of the day, I never really knew. I knew there was a wedding in there somewhere and I was not into the concept of the wedding."

Slash said he even "frowned upon" the wedding idea because "it seemed to me like what I would do."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/17/november-rain-meaning_n_5837602.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will never understand why he has this constant need to bash and humilliate the songs that made GN'R massive and popular, just because they were written by Axl? Some months ago he trashed SCOM... what's next, Estranged? And the worst is that he words it out as if it was all a big joke.... "i have no clue, i didn't care, i did my thing, GN'R sucked, they were Axl's shitty ballads I hated to the bone, blah blah blah.."

Seriously, it ain't cool anymore.

He doesn't bash the song here at all he's talking about the video. Did you just intentionally miss that point to sit here and bitch about Slash? It's been well known the band didn't share Axl's wide eye vision for grandious videos. Slash is talking about the video here and if anybody here can tell us what the fuck the video is about at the end then do tell. Nobody knows what the fuck the end of that video is about.

What's not cool is people like you completely lacking in reading comprehension and lacking the ability to understand what Slash is talking about here. he specifically calls the song epic and says the song itself is self explanatory. Like seriously give me a fucking break.

There's an element of that. Past the era the videos are made in they look dated then kind of cheesy. Smashing Pumpkins did some elaborate videos at some point. A music video based around a wedding and it rains for dramatic effect is corny. But it's iconic. It's one of the few I remember. Thriller and Bad videos and Nov Rain. Like a Prayer Madonna video (kitschy as all hell!)

Corny or not, I don't see it as important.

Point being, Slash was in those videos and it gets old and obvious him making these kind of comments. It's petty.

But from Slash's side, after listening to his The List interview, he has a very clear he called it "musical personality", it's pretty much hard rock, with Zepp as pushing it or being progressive. So I understand his complaint, he didn't really sign up for Elton John songs. With Nov Rain, the sheer brilliance of it, changed the course of GNR and Slash was powerless outside of trying to block it.

It's a definitely a tough one. Was it too much or is it's popularity a cure all?

Slash seemed to have trouble seeing outside of his own mindset, and just getting a more I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine mentality. He pretty much tried on UYI but it obviously didn't sit well with him. These lingering discontented feelings eventually come out in the sessions for CD, a determination to not do it again. Slash seemed adamant about it.

I guess some people side with Slash and Izzy on this, but you can't argue with the success Nov Rain & Estranged have had with the GNR fanbase.

Edited by wasted

He doesn't bash the song here at all he's talking about the video. Did you just intentionally miss that point to sit here and bitch about Slash? It's been well known the band didn't share Axl's wide eye vision for grandious videos. Slash is talking about the video here and if anybody here can tell us what the fuck the video is about at the end then do tell. Nobody knows what the fuck the end of that video is about.

What's not cool is people like you completely lacking in reading comprehension and lacking the ability to understand what Slash is talking about here. he specifically calls the song epic and says the song itself is self explanatory. Like seriously give me a fucking break.

Lacking in reading comprehension says the one who asks for someone else to explain what the video is about :rofl-lol:

Are you that type who also needs to have jokes and movies explained?

There's a funeral at the end, a coffin and a guy who just became a widower... It is "self-explanatory", isn't it Slash or are you so high on drugs you can't tell life from death.

Can't believe there are people who think this is an attack on Slash and that in order to defend him they have to pretend they don't understand a love story in a video. Jesus, never try to watch a Lars Von Trier movie or your gonna have an ischemic stroke :rofl-lol:

• Like 2

Lacking in reading comprehension says the one who asks for someone else to explain what the video is about :rofl-lol:

Are you that type who also needs to have jokes and movies explained?

There's a funeral at the end, a coffin and a guy who just became a widower... It is "self-explanatory", isn't it Slash or are you so high on drugs you can't tell life from death.

Can't believe there are people who think this is an attack on Slash and that in order to defend him they have to pretend they don't understand a love story in a video. Jesus, never try to watch a Lars Von Trier movie or your gonna have an ischemic stroke :rofl-lol:

Holy fuck are you stupid? Obviously it's a funeral. The coffin is split in half though. Do you know what happened to her? Does anybody know what happened to her. Your pathetic attempt to bitch and complain about Slash makes you look like an ass. Boo fucking hoo Slash's passive agressiveness trying to humilate Axl's songs. Are you serious? At not point did he try to do that. he simply stated he doesn't know what the video was supposed to be about. Why does Stephanie look less than happy to be married when they get into the car? Why does she die? Why is the coffin split in two? You have to be a real dipshit to sit there and think Slash is trying to humiliate Axl's song and even worse be upset about it . Read your original post. You completely made up a whole bunch of bullshit that's not even there.

tinyrobot: I will never understand why he has this constant need to bash and humilliate the songs that made GN'R massive and popular, just because they were written by Axl? Some months ago he trashed SCOM... what's next, Estranged? And the worst is that he words it out as if it was all a big joke.... "i have no clue, i didn't care, i did my thing, GN'R sucked, they were Axl's shitty ballads I hated to the bone, blah blah blah..Seriously, it ain't cool anymore"

.Like talk about a sniveling whiney loser. Are serious with that shit?

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1