Slash had no idea what the November Rain music video was about..

I actually really like all the GnR videos, or "the trilogy" for that matter. I think the inconsistencies and corniness in those videos certainly added to the legacy and mystique of the band. It leaves room for speculation, and that is the whole art and beautyness of it all. Slash must not have a keen eye for photography/cinematography. Every shot in those videos has been carefully thought out in terms of angles, color, symbolism, iconery (is that a word lol?) and synergy of all those things I mentioned with the music. Especially estranged is a good example of this (the rubber band, the douchy shots of Axl the visionary in his limo, that Sunset Strip sequence with the swimming dolphins etc.) It is truly ignorant of Slash to downplay the effect those videos had on his career, whether he likes it or not. The mighty, iconic shots in those videos made him stand out as a character, that of the mystifying, legendary guitarist only rivaled by Jimmy Page in terms of those attributes. However, he has long since tarnished that image by his cheap publicity stunts, like that phineas and ferb cameo and that infamous appearance at the Super Bowl. All in all, not bashing. I respect his opinion, but he is truly underestimating the impact videos like NR had on his career.

The 'trilogy' is ghastly. It ruined GN'R forever. Izzy hated it also. I would respect Slash more if he said the whole thing was a 'piece of cack'.

Yet it is why Slash is who he is today. Without UYI and their videos GNR would have been a one hit album band with a little controversy to their name. Funny how Izzy is just another no name solo artist that happened to be in GNR and writes great songs. Yet Slash still has a popular solo career. I wonder why....

I do not agree with that. What made GN'R - and by extension - Slash a household name was Appetite. The trilogy was a bunch of stupid cheesy crap which, if anything, harmed Slash's reputation.

Slash Has 'No Idea' What The 'November Rain' Music Video Is About

For everyone who's been trying to figure out the meaning behind the Guns N' Roses video "November Rain" since its release in 1992, you may want to stop trying because lead guitarist Slash doesn't know either.

In a conversation with HuffPost Live about his new album "World On Fire," the guitar legend made a shocking confession.

"To tell you the truth, I have no idea [what 'November Rain' is about]," Slash told host Marc Lamont Hill. "It was a concept. The song itself is pretty self-explanatory, but the video is so complex."

The song appears on the band's "Use Your Illusion I" album. Slash said when vocalist Axl Rose was writing it, "It was so epic, it was like a movie. And I, not being a huge fan of videos and making videos especially, I just showed up for my scenes."

"I [wrote] my own scene," he continued "... and I never paid attention to the rest of the whole production. So at the end of the day, I never really knew. I knew there was a wedding in there somewhere and I was not into the concept of the wedding."

Slash said he even "frowned upon" the wedding idea because "it seemed to me like what I would do."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/17/november-rain-meaning_n_5837602.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will never understand why he has this constant need to bash and humilliate the songs that made GN'R massive and popular, just because they were written by Axl? Some months ago he trashed SCOM... what's next, Estranged? And the worst is that he words it out as if it was all a big joke.... "i have no clue, i didn't care, i did my thing, GN'R sucked, they were Axl's shitty ballads I hated to the bone, blah blah blah.."

Seriously, it ain't cool anymore.

Yes, you are so right! It's this kind of horrible abuse that completely justifies calling someone a cancer! (which isn't half as bad as this emotional torture)

The 'trilogy' is ghastly. It ruined GN'R forever. Izzy hated it also. I would respect Slash more if he said the whole thing was a 'piece of cack'.

Yet it is why Slash is who he is today. Without UYI and their videos GNR would have been a one hit album band with a little controversy to their name. Funny how Izzy is just another no name solo artist that happened to be in GNR and writes great songs. Yet Slash still has a popular solo career. I wonder why....

I do not agree with that. What made GN'R - and by extension - Slash a household name was Appetite. The trilogy was a bunch of stupid cheesy crap which, if anything, harmed Slash's reputation.

what are you 12? or do you live in a tapper in the 90's?. The world got to know Slash/GNR cos the illusion records and those videos.

what are you 12? or do you live in a tapper in the 90's?. The world got to know Slash/GNR cos the illusion records and those videos.

Bollocks. AFD broke GN'R. They were already household names before the cacky ballads.

Even Axl admitted he thinks those music videos are cheesy. Glad they happened though. Guns benefited greatly from it.

Having said that, I don't know what the fuck is going on with Slash lately. What with the hall of fame thing (he did it cause he's a giver) or with making snarky comments about Axl moves.

To me it looks like he's trying to give the media what they want and is guessing what most of his fans would like to hear. I think it's hard work for some people to stay cool but you're not cool if you work for it anyway so whatever.

Not a big deal, but not new either: Slash has a big mouth and I suspect that was fuel to Axl's hatred. He didn't learn from that mistake, or he doesn't care, or it's just a sacrifice Slash is willing to make cause some of his fans/the media love that smelly bullshit and gotta give the people what they want. In this case: more "I'm way cooler then Axl, even if I was a big part of it, went along with it, and made a ton of cash too."

Edited by Rovim

Yeah, you're right. I always say Axl doesn't owe us anything in the end because he was able to retire at 35 years old. If he makes music now is because he wants to but not because he needs to make money.

AFD itself is a money machine that will feed him forever. Too bad he doesn't have offspring who could benefit from a life of "no work", hehehe

The reason why bands like the RS, U2 or Metallica stay together is because they don't have a Slash who is jealous as fuck of the singer and wants to be popular and unpopular at the same time. And also because they don't have a singer who is insecure and paranoid and perfectionist.

It all reduces to ego, I think. And professionalism. And tolerance.

We needed more Duffs in the band.

I guess if you can harness Slash, Izzy and Axl like force them into working together to make say the biggest debut ever, or get them on board with another mission then you can get magic. But how to you do that when they all disagree?

But yeah they did it all anyway. I try to think what more they could really do in a pure GNR way and can't think. Most bands like U2 or Metallica, INXS (sorry) kind of reinvented themselves, even Aerosmith come back more commercial. It's not easy to pull off, especially everyone wants to go underground.

38:23 del talks about november rain

"november rain was loosely inspired by the short story I wrote "Without You"before afd was released. I wrote it because I was worried about axl and a relationship he was in" he talks more about it but i don't have time to listen to the rest right now. Just check it out like 38:23-42:00 ish

Edited by spliff

I actually really like all the GnR videos, or "the trilogy" for that matter. I think the inconsistencies and corniness in those videos certainly added to the legacy and mystique of the band. It leaves room for speculation, and that is the whole art and beautyness of it all. Slash must not have a keen eye for photography/cinematography. Every shot in those videos has been carefully thought out in terms of angles, color, symbolism, iconery (is that a word lol?) and synergy of all those things I mentioned with the music. Especially estranged is a good example of this (the rubber band, the douchy shots of Axl the visionary in his limo, that Sunset Strip sequence with the swimming dolphins etc.) It is truly ignorant of Slash to downplay the effect those videos had on his career, whether he likes it or not. The mighty, iconic shots in those videos made him stand out as a character, that of the mystifying, legendary guitarist only rivaled by Jimmy Page in terms of those attributes. However, he has long since tarnished that image by his cheap publicity stunts, like that phineas and ferb cameo and that infamous appearance at the Super Bowl. All in all, not bashing. I respect his opinion, but he is truly underestimating the impact videos like NR had on his career.

I can't like this post cuz Im out of likes, still, hehe... but this is perfect.... I wish there were more people with this vision here and not the limited minds we've seen exposed in this thread.

Jesus, there are people asking to have a video explained to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that?... Should Picasso, Dalí, Baudelaire, every artist out there explain what they meant when they created their art??

My intestine can't stop laughing! :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

Yes, you are so right! It's this kind of horrible abuse that completely justifies calling someone a cancer! (which isn't half as bad as this emotional torture)

Where in the hell did I say that I condone that 'cancer' stuff???

I think it's horrible and I would never call Slash that or accept someone else calls him those names. I just wish Axl would have been smart enough to lash back at this character with some elegance and intelligence, and not using words only a bitter old hag would use.

Slash is way smarter when he wants to attack Axl. He does it in this subtle humourous way that can only make Axl look bad and stupid, but he's mean-spirited as hell. Anyone who can read between lines and is used to sarcasm can smell the shit Slash says everytime he has to refer to his past.

November Rain is the one based on the short story by Del James. It says that in the video I think .I guess Slash never read the book!

I'd be surprised if Slash has ever read any book.

What makes you think that Slash never read a book?

I think all of the GNR members ( past and present) read a lot of books

Maybe not the highest intellectual publications out there, but they are part of a generation when reading a book is a form of pastime (unlike now)

Edited by Motivation