The Biggest Tragedies in Rock Music

Apollo

Sam Cooke comes running out of his Motel room, naked and whizzing, having been robbed by the young lady he bought to in that night to play a quiet game of chinese checkers with him. So he runs out, obviously in distress and the old bag behind the counter with a double barrel shotgun splits him in half.

• Like 1

Hank Williams dying in the backseat of a cadillac at 29.

Pac & Big

The D.O.C. Can't imagine how he felt being the hottest new rapper, getting compared to Rakim, put out a classic debut album, then getting in a car wreck and shredding your vocal chords. Sounded like gargling glass after that. Shame.

• Like 1

Sam Cooke comes running out of his Motel room, naked and whizzing, having been robbed by the young lady he bought to in that night to play a quiet game of chinese checkers with him. So he runs out, obviously in distress and the old bag behind the counter with a double barrel shotgun splits him in half.

thug life baby!!!

jesus...

thug life baby!!!

Or unmitigated tragedy, take your pick.

thug life baby!!!

The version you've shared is a bit different than the "official" description of what happened.

Which is apparently that the lady ran from the room claiming that Cooke had kidnapped and tried to rape her. Cooke came out, half naked, and extremely intoxicated, and then physically attacked the "old bag" - or lady who was working - when she wouldn't tell him where the fleeing lady was. They struggled and the woman, fearing her life from the bigger and crazed man who was attacking her, shot him in self defense.

Both ladies passed lie detector tests. And the front desk lady wasn't charged with a crime.

Quite different than the way you described it!!!

Cooke fans claim it was all a set-up or conspiracy, of course.

Hendrix's death. Unlike Mercury, Lennon and Elvis - who were all past their sell by date when they snuffed it - Hendrix was still in his prime and busy recording a masterpiece. Absolute tragic to think of the masterpieces we may have had.

I really don't think Mercury was "past his sell date" at all. Queen may have not been putting groundbreaking albums, but Mercury was awesome way beyond his diagnosis.

And Innuendo is awesome.

Axl Rose discovering donuts.

The birth of Nikki Sixx.

The invention of hairspray.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody who is more upset about a specific genre of music than you are! Is there more to this story? OMG.......was your biological father really Tommy Lee? That's why you go on-and-on about hair metal in every music topic?

• Like 2

thug life baby!!!

The version you've shared is a bit different than the "official" description of what happened.

Which is apparently that the lady ran from the room claiming that Cooke had kidnapped and tried to rape her. Cooke came out, half naked, and extremely intoxicated, and then physically attacked the "old bag" - or lady who was working - when she wouldn't tell him where the fleeing lady was. They struggled and the woman, fearing her life from the bigger and crazed man who was attacking her, shot him in self defense.

Both ladies passed lie detector tests. And the front desk lady wasn't charged with a crime.

Quite different than the way you described it!!!

Cooke fans claim it was all a set-up or conspiracy, of course.

It's an interesting situation because the official line is clearly bullshit, most theories have holes in em, only people who knew was Sam, the lady behind the counter at the motel and the bird he was knocking about with. There's massive massive inconsistencies in the birds testimony, the lady behind the counter has as much motive to lie as anyway because she's commited a murder.

I think the version i put forward ties together cuz, OK, the birds testimony to the coppers proves she's at least something of a liar or at least unreliable. Sam comes out with just a shoe and a sports coat...sounds pretty consistent to him being robbed, don't you think? I mean you've kidnapped a bird, she disappears, you run out looking for her...why would you go with one shoe and a sports coat? So she robs his shit, Sam comes out towards the counter tripping like where the fuck is she? Woman behind the counter gets scared, she's like i dunno, Sams freaking out at this moment, possibly even violently, in case it looks I'm trying to paint him a saint, what is likely is that he grabbed her, maybe even shook her, maybe thinkin', i dunno, she saw where she went, who knows what was in the room that she could've taken? Old bag gets scared and shoots an unarmed and barely dressed Sam Cooke. It's kinda thin and I ain't about to claim thats it's fact or even the most likely option but it seems to tie together, a helluva lot more than Sam Cooke, a famous soul singer, kidnaps a girl from a club, gets her all the way to a motel, books her in past shotgun lady against her will, gets her in there, starts doing some funky shit to her to where she has to leg it and he runs out with one shoe and a sports coat on, his big black todger swinging like a pendulam, for Old Mother Riley to cut him in half with a double barrel because she was afraid for her life by a guy with one shoe and a sports coat one...and her armed with a shotgun.

Hendrix's death. Unlike Mercury, Lennon and Elvis - who were all past their sell by date when they snuffed it - Hendrix was still in his prime and busy recording a masterpiece. Absolute tragic to think of the masterpieces we may have had.

I really don't think Mercury was "past his sell date" at all. Queen may have not been putting groundbreaking albums, but Mercury was awesome way beyond his diagnosis.

And Innuendo is awesome.

Although true, Innuendo was a comeback - and I am a fan of Queen by the way - there is no way you can compare Mercury's demise to Hendrix's. Hendrix died at his absolute peak. A Mercury equivalent would be, Mercury dying in 1975 instead of 1991! Look on it this way,

'67 was Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Monterey, Little Wing

'68, Voodoo Chile, Watchtower

'69, Woodstock and Star Spangled Banner, as well as, Machine Gun.

And then that is it: he is gone! He produced absolute masterpieces every year as well as legendary performances, and then he is gone within four years. '71 we would have had Dolly Dagger and Room full of Mirrors.

What would 72, 73, 74 have in store for Hendrix? Understand that everyone of those anthems, Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile, completely changed guitar. We were completely robbed!

• Like 2

And Innuendo is awesome.

Although true, Innuendo was a comeback - and I am a fan of Queen by the way - there is no way you can compare Mercury's demise to Hendrix's. Hendrix died at his absolute peak. A Mercury equivalent would be, Mercury dying in 1975 instead of 1991! Look on it this way,

'67 was Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Monterey, Little Wing

'68, Voodoo Chile, Watchtower

'69, Woodstock and Star Spangled Banner, as well as, Machine Gun.

And then that is it: he is gone! He produced absolute masterpieces every year as well as legendary performances, and then he is gone within four years. '71 we would have had Dolly Dagger and Room full of Mirrors.

What would 72, 73, 74 have in store for Hendrix? Understand that everyone of those anthems, Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile, completely changed guitar. We were completely robbed!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing the Hendrix side of it. It's a very fascinating 'what if' scenario. But I'm just talking about Mercury's abilities before he passed.

Axl Rose discovering donuts.

The birth of Nikki Sixx.

The invention of hairspray.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody who is more upset about a specific genre of music than you are! Is there more to this story? OMG.......was your biological father really Tommy Lee? That's why you go on-and-on about hair metal in every music topic?
Why is it OK to whine about grunge and 90s rock but not 80s rock?

I feel the way about 80s rock as its fans do about Nirvana and the like. I consider its birth a legitimate musical tragedy.

As far as deaths and losses go, I pretty much agree. Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix and Randy Rhoads (if this guy had more time in the sun I think Nobody puts baby in a corner might not have been so shit) were all profound, early losses.

Never getting a proper Beatles reunion.

I guess, but in a way it's cool that they had 6 years, accomplished everything imaginable and that was it. (unless you count those anthology mash-up songs) Edited by bacardimayne