Clint Eastwood Appreciation Thread

Facekicker

I actually have that poncho.

10676250_10154581034995037_1864790602128

I wanted a poncho, but couldn't find any that I liked/that were cool, so I just settled for a movie replica from Amazon.com - Came to about £100/£110 something like that with p+p, from NJ.

I was in England and had it shipped to me in England when I got it despite it coming from NJ.

It's an olive green poncho, 100% wool, very warm... I love busting it out when/if it ever snows in England, I just walk around with it over me to keep me warm, sling it round as it's got no pockets or nothing (it's a badass poncho) and feel like Clint j/k, but feels good, that feeling when everyone else is wrapped up and you're warm in your poncho and you throw it back and look like a G'.

:lol:

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

Clint Eastwood knew, intrinsically, like all good actors, what he was good for and what he wasn't, he stumbled almost accidentally upon this icon of masculinity, much like an updated John Wayne and then explored it to the hilt and that exploration is the difference between a John Wayne and a Clint Eastwood. Where John Wayne by and large remained within that sphere, with a few notable exceptions where the topic was approached from a different angle Clint kinda fully explored it all.

Movies like Heartbreak Ridge, that movies basically about a guy coming to terms with the fact that his own masculinity has kinda destroyed his relationships, it's outdated and he's an anachronism and he knows it. The Unforgiven absolutely tears that kinda masculinity to bits, The Beguiled is another example, to kinda take an action hero and put him in this situation where he kinda rendered impotent more or less...it's kind of about the way men and women use their sexuality so like...you knew from the get-go that this was something different we were getting.

When your Clint Eastwoods and John Waynes and Bogarts (actors of limited talent in the typical sense of what an actor does i.e. the total chameleon thing) hit upon an archetype that they can more or less just ride til their careers over the difference in class becomes clear when you see the ways in which they explore that archetype.

Magnum Force is a movie that one might consider an apology for Dirty Harry and the more fascist elements of the movie that certain critics picked up on on it's release but there's actually something very mature about it, i think.

Or Bronco Billy, what a glorious movie that was, again, a total exploration of masculinity and the games we play as children and how our lives almost become an apology for them.

Clint Eastwoods best qualities were in knowing his strengths, knowing his audience, knowing limitations...and then stretching them for as far as he possibly could without betraying the fundamental truths of the archetype in question.

• Like 2

What can you say? It's fuckin' Eastwood. I have fond memories of me and my dad watching his movies. I like him as a director too. A lot of emotion and he seems like a good and talented man. I love him, I hope he'll be alive for a long time.

Edited by Rovim

• 2 months later...

American Sniper - whats your verdict? I've heard good and bad

Just got back and absolutely amazing, I know that's such an overused word, but the movie captures the book so faithfully, much props to Clint, Cooper and everyone involved.

Have no idea how anyone who's read the book could have anything but raves. Gonna win multiple Oscars, deservedly so...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

American Sniper - whats your verdict? I've heard good and bad

The battle sequences are fine, the domestic passages jaw droppingly inept. As a biopic it appears to be a shamelessly dishonest one. It's a mess.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

"It's a hell of a thing killin a man. Take away everything he's got, everything he's ever gonna have."

"Who's the fella that owns this shithole?"

"I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at some point or another. And I'm here to kill you Little Bill."

"You just shot an unarmed man." - "He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

"You better bury Ned right. And don't go cuttin up or otherwise harmin no whores. Or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons of bitches."

"Any man I see out there I'm gonna shoot him. Any son of a bitch takes a shot at me, I'm not only gonna kill him, but I'm gonna kill his wife, and all his friends. Burn his damn house down."

William Munny

I think Play Misty for Me and Bird put him out there as a director and incorporated his love of jazz in both of them, that and Ennio Morricone's movie music played into what I listened to. He didn't play Misty as a tough guy but I could see him having had to deal with a stalker in real life and why that appealed to playing the DJ. I think he tried to keep some sense of realism in his movies.

Unforgiven, Heartbreak Ridge, Escape from Alcatraz, Dirty Harry, In the Line of Fire, Million Dollar Baby, Outlaw Josey Wales, Gran Torino, A Perfect World, and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

I don't get the love of Gran Torino. To me, it's in that group of films that have been put on a pedestal and seen as all time classics like Scarface, The Departed, The Shawshank Redemption, but none of them are.

It is pretty preachy and shite really isnt it? The Scrimjaw Redemption suffers more from people calling it the best film ever instead of just a good film.

Same with Scarface really but its become such an immense cultural footnote that its qualities are difficult to deny. The Departed i just think is fantastic.

I don't get the love of Gran Torino. To me, it's in that group of films that have been put on a pedestal and seen as all time classics like Scarface, The Departed, The Shawshank Redemption, but none of them are.

It is pretty preachy and shite really isnt it? The Scrimjaw Redemption suffers more from people calling it the best film ever instead of just a good film.

Same with Scarface really but its become such an immense cultural footnote that its qualities are difficult to deny. The Departed i just think is fantastic.

It's amazing how many lists I've seen that rank Shawshank as the best film ever and how many people have told me so as well. It's baffling.

Scarface is so incredibly boring and it's the point when Al Pacino went down the shitter, although he was already on his way down. Scarface just cemented his epic fall.

To me, The Departed has become this generation's Shawshank. So many rate it high that I start to second guess what I've watched. It's such a third rate effort from Scorsese. I feel it's in his bottom 5 all time. Again, though, I don't get the love and/or praise for it. The original is so vastly superior that it's embarrassing that a giant like Scorsese even tried to re-do it. He's better than that. It's him slumming but then again, he's not made a good film in ages. It's slap-dab in the middle of his worst era.

And The Wolf Of Wall Street is another that's climbing up the ranks and seen as a classic and that is another film in his bottom 5 all time.

Gran Torino just outright sucks. Eastwood is laughably bad in his role. So bad it's painful to watch.

What makes the Shawshank Redemption more than just "a good film" is its perfect balance of storytelling and the huge arc that Dufresne undergoes. It's rare that a movie can hold on to that for over two hours and deliver great dialogues and speeches, memorable characters, ... along the way, all leading up to what I consider one of cinema's best payoffs. And it's that what's missing from a lot of Scorsese's later movies, their endings don't work (The Departed, Shutter Island). I enjoyed Clint's Gran Torino but I'd need to see it again to see if it held up. Of Clint Eastwood, I consider Unforgiven in the same league as Shawshank. (must be something to do with Morgan Freeman) :lol:

As for Shawshank, there were clunky scenes in it that would've have kept it from being a classic, but luckily they got cut out (you can see these on any of the special edition releases added on as deleted scenes), they add nothing worthwhile. It's to Frank Darabont's credit that he took Stephen King's short story and turned it into this movie which again, for me and a lot of other people, works from start to finish. Plus it's a great feel good movie because of its message.

Edited by Bumblefeet