Banned Members Policy

downzy

(This was posted in the Ask Staff thread, but to ensure that everyone is aware, I started its own thread).

We do allow for some formerly banned members to try again after an unspecified amount of time. Those individuals who were formerly banned, after a year or two in the wilderness, who can exhibit remorse for their previous actions can and will be given another shot.

I'm not going to get into any specifics about individual cases/members, but suffice it to say that not all previously banned members are given equal consideration. There are a list of banned members who will never be allowed back so long as the current admin/mod team stay in place. There are individuals who will, regardless of how long it's been or how much they've "changed" will never be given a second chance. We take it on a case by case basis. I'll concede this is somewhat arbitrary on our part, but at the end of the day, it's a GNR fan forum - this isn't real life.

Furthermore, those who are allowed back are on put on an extremely short leash. We recently changed the guidelines for formerly banned members. Returned members will not be given carte blanche when it comes to their forum privileges. For an unspecified amount of time, they will only be allowed to post in threads created by other members; they will not be able to start/create their own threads. They will work on a different warning point system. It works on a one-and-done basis. Members of this forum who are in good standing are allowed up to five warning points before they are banned. Returned members are given one chance, as soon as they're given a warning point they're banned. And they're banned for life. There is no third chance here (err, at least starting now). We do allow a path to redemption however. If the returned member can illustrate good behaviour over a period of time (determined by the mod team for each individual case), they will restore their ability to start their own threads. After another period of time, if that member shows that they can comply with the forum rules and not excessively antagonize other members, they will return to the five warning point system.

Again, not all members will be given an opportunity to restore their account. Some members who are now banned will never be allowed back. But we do acknowledge that there is the possibility with some that change can happen, that they've learned their lesson, and that they're now willing to abide by the forum rules.

I hope this clears things up.

I would also like to remind everyone that anyone attempting to provoke or antagonize a member with reduced privileges will also be susceptible to warnings/suspensions.

It's fine to quarrel and disagree, but if you're aim is to provoke a previously banned member into an outburst that would get them kick out, you might find yourself on the other side of the fence.

Thanks and be good!

• Like 2

I would like to know what 'reduced privileges' means. In the sense of, what privileges have been reduced.

They're listed in my first post.

To reiterate, reduced privileges means that a user cannot start threads. They can only respond and post in threads created by other users. They can also be limited to and from certain sections of the forum. Also, they work on a different warning point schedule. In most cases, members work off of a five point system. Returned posters who were previously banned are given one chance. One point equals being banned without any chance of being able to return.

I would like to know what 'reduced privileges' means. In the sense of, what privileges have been reduced.

To reiterate, reduced privileges means that a user cannot start threads. They can only respond and post in threads created by other users. They can also be limited to and from certain sections of the forum. Also, they work on a different warning point schedule. In most cases, members work off of a five point system. Returned posters who were previously banned are given one chance. One point equals being banned without any chance of being able to return.

Oh shit, I thought this was the 'Ask staff' thread. Have you made the same post in the two threads? Yep, just checked, you did. :lol:

Thanks for the clarification. Great improvement, downzy.

Oh shit, I thought this was the 'Ask staff' thread. Have you made the same post in the two threads? Yep, just checked, you did. :lol:

Thanks for the clarification. Great improvement, downzy.

Yeah, sorry, I initially posted it in the Ask Staff thread as a direct response to some of the questions we were getting about the subject. But I figured it was worth its own topic so people who don't normally consult the Ask Thread could be privy to the new policy.

Can we have warning points expire after a certain time?

No. Warning points are almost always permanent. Obviously, there's exceptions when warranted.

What about users like Crash Diet that get banned then come back as Motivation less than 2 months later? Do they get another 5 warning points because it's a new account? Or do you knock the new accounts down to 1 point right away?

This isn't necessarily a retroactive policy. It will only apply to certain banned users. Moreover, not all applications will be considered.

• Like 1

Maybe not the right person to answer this but I think if warning points "expire", the whole purpose of being warned vanishes.

Depends on how long the warning point is there before it's removed.

Of course a six month to one year expiration won't make much difference, but perhaps two or three years.

What about users like Crash Diet that get banned then come back as Motivation less than 2 months later? Do they get another 5 warning points because it's a new account? Or do you knock the new accounts down to 1 point right away?

See "Short Leash" policy.

• Like 2

No. Warning points are almost always permanent. Obviously, there's exceptions when warranted.

Warning points are like scars. Chicks dig them and they're proof that you've been a maverick at some point. I'm proud of my seven warning points.

• Like 1