General Chat / Random Musings

On 10/13/2020 at 12:46 PM, Dazey said:

I'm only kidding, My wife was raised in San Antonio and her family still live there. I LOVE Austin but I've never been to Dallas. 

Besides, last time I was in Texas this happened so I'm in no position to criticise anybody. :lol: 

vzCaiCl.jpg 

Keep. Your. Finger. Off. The. Trigger.

• Replies 21.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Len Cnut

• DieselDaisy

• Dazey

• SoulMonster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone, meet Genevieve Roseanne, who arrived on 23rd December. 

No booze for me last night. Early morning as usual.

Present from Uncle Lenny.

Posted Images

just cleaned up my library a bit. I don't have much time to tidy things up there, and I've noticed that if you have a certain amount of items, it becomes hard to keep track of what you have, and where you can find something. No matter how much I organise my stuff, I keep on having moments where I don't find things.

So I got rid of some stuff that took up space and did not serve a purpose, like a box full of empty / half empty batteries, empty CD boxes and what have you, moved some things around. It certainly "appears" more tidy. If it's tidy in my library, it's tidy in my head I find.

Having a library of your own, I find very relaxing. Just scrolling through the books, opening boxes here and there and see what they contain, finding hidden treasures you thought you'd lost. There are worse ways to spend your sunday afternoon.

now, I deserved a cup of coffee and a "boule du berlin"

Edited by action
28 minutes ago, action said:

just cleaned up my library a bit. I don't have much time to tidy things up there, and I've noticed that if you have a certain amount of items, it becomes hard to keep track of what you have, and where you can find something. No matter how much I organise my stuff, I keep on having moments where I don't find things.

So I got rid of some stuff that took up space and did not serve a purpose, like a box full of empty / half empty batteries, empty CD boxes and what have you, moved some things around. It certainly "appears" more tidy. If it's tidy in my library, it's tidy in my head I find.

Having a library of your own, I find very relaxing. Just scrolling through the books, opening boxes here and there and see what they contain, finding hidden treasures you thought you'd lost. There are worse ways to spend your sunday afternoon.

now, I deserved a cup of coffee and a "boule du berlin"

Im reorganizing my grow room today. And I know what you mean about having an organized desk helps keep a clear mind.

I picked up a solar battery recharger and some recharagable batteries. So now I dont have so many used batteries lying around.

Im also currently enjoying some coffee and pumpkin pie. Cheers.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, action said:

crazy or genious? these guys made a house in cardboard

This guy made a real lightsaber.

47 minutes ago, Crashdet said:

Hey guys/gals just wondering what you people do when youre feeling down, my whole life I’ve been a loner/weirdo in most peoples eyes at school & such, usually listening to Gn’R, Tool & NIN help me through these times I dont feel too good about myself, but that hasnt helped at all the past year or so. For the first time in my life I truly feel helpless & sort of alone. I hate to sound like a debbie the downer, but idk where else to turn now a days. Im sure I’m not the only one. Seems like I’ve slowly pushed people in my life away. Old friends say I’m literally Axl Rose, which is probably not the best thing when it comes to ones social life.

I find, that keeping chickens and hugging them every day, seeing them play in the bushes, is the true joy of life. guaranteed to cure every depression

and welcome to the board

Edited by action
  • Like 1

I found a postcard on the street today that must have been attached to a balloon at one point, and it says in German: ''Lieber Finder, bitte sende uns diese Karte zurück, damit uns der Wunsch unserer Gäste zu unserer Heiligen Kommunion erreicht.'' And a personal message on it with best wishes and their name and address. So the balloon managed to fly to another country. I guess it would be nice to write back.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I found a postcard on the street today that must have been attached to a balloon at one point, and it says in German: ''Lieber Finder, bitte sende uns diese Karte zurück, damit uns der Wunsch unserer Gäste zu unserer Heiligen Kommunion erreicht.'' And a personal message on it with best wishes and their name and address. So the balloon managed to fly to another country. I guess it would be nice to write back.

probably hitler's lost balloon

this is such an accurate description of society, which we see more and more in practise as covid panic spreads around the world

8 hours ago, action said:

I find, that keeping chickens and hugging them every day, seeing them play in the bushes, is the true joy of life. guaranteed to cure every depression

and welcome to the board

Im so happy you have the ladies in your life!

Lately a lot of whats kept me going through the pandemics isolation hasnt really been doing the trick for me. Im very much looking forward to getting some new routines and a refreshed outlook on things.

I did manage to succesfully grow micro greens indoors though, so thats cool! (They are prone to mold so Id had issues previously). Ive also been making scheduled times with the kids in my world, to read together on video chat. Thats been cool too.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Sounds fun! They couldnt have had better luck then it making its way to you.

This might be something for me to try out to break the isolation and digital nature of the pandemic. Might get the chance to work on my french or Ojibwe - or really any langauge - too.

24 minutes ago, soon said:

This might be something for me to try out to break the isolation and digital nature of the pandemic. Might get the chance to work on my french or Ojibwe - or really any langauge - too.

I'm not so sure about that. I thought about sending a note back saying ''first give me back my grandfather's bike''. (that's a running joke because the Germans confiscated a lot of bikes here in the war). That's awful, isn't it? Probably some innocent 8 year old German kid was waving at the balloon and hoping in good faith that someone will find it and send back the postcard, but instead an idiot like me finds it who is immediately thinking in WW 2 references and is looking up online how much it's going to cost me to send a postcard to Germany. Ts ts.

And yeah, learning new languages is always a good idea!

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm not so sure about that. I thought about sending a note back saying ''first give me back my grandfather's bike''. (that's a running joke because the Germans confiscated a lot of bikes here in the war). That's awful, isn't it? Probably some innocent 8 year old German kid was waving at the balloon and hoping in good faith that someone will find it and send back the postcard, but instead an idiot like me finds it who is immediately thinking in WW 2 references and is looking up online how much it's going to cost me to send a postcard to Germany. Ts ts.

And yeah, learning new languages is always a good idea!

Haha, youd destroy his sense of childhood wonder!

I'd lol if I got such a response to my balloon message. And as i say there's a good chance it would end up with a Quebecois... so Im garaunteed a sassy response :lol:

And looking up the cost - here we have the stereotype the you Dutch are cheapskates. Does that stereotype exist among yourselves as well? "Going Dutch" is splitting a bill on a date.

2 hours ago, soon said:

Im so happy you have the ladies in your life!

Lately a lot of whats kept me going through the pandemics isolation hasnt really been doing the trick for me. Im very much looking forward to getting some new routines and a refreshed outlook on things.

I did manage to succesfully grow micro greens indoors though, so thats cool! (They are prone to mold so Id had issues previously). Ive also been making scheduled times with the kids in my world, to read together on video chat. Thats been cool too.

I think any pet we have in our lives makes us feel better and happier. They love us unconditional and don't care if you're having a dumb day. lol 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, soon said:

Haha, youd destroy his sense of childhood wonder!

I'd lol if I got such a response to my balloon message. And as i say there's a good chance it would end up with a Quebecois... so Im garaunteed a sassy response :lol:

And looking up the cost - here we have the stereotype the you Dutch are cheapskates. Does that stereotype exist among yourselves as well? "Going Dutch" is splitting a bill on a date.

I was kidding, I would never do that! 

I know about ''going Dutch'' and that stereotype, but I'm not sure if the Dutch are really cheapskates compared to other nationalities. We don't really have a tipping culture like the way it is elsewhere, but it's not like that in a lot of countries, so I just don't know. Also, for such a tiny country, there are many different mentalities, a lot of provinces are quite different, where I live most people don't really identify with the rest of the country anyway, so maybe it's true for some other regions that I'm less familiar with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, soon said:

some tips to get you going:

- look up your family history. search through old archives, on internet search tools, look up old birth / decease documents etc. Your ancestors probably come from europe, maybe I can help you out from over the pond

- read up on the local history of your town

- go to your local graveyard and look at the names, maybe you find someone from your family

- drawing. draw nature

- start a book, in your handwriting. write about stuff, about your life, and your whisdom.

- make a delicious berry pie, the kind that you let cool down on the window, so the delicious smells travel through the forest, maybe attracting dwarves and gnomes

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, action said:

- look up your family history. search through old archives, on internet search tools,

I managed to trace my family back to the 15th century with just some random ancestry website without paying for it. It's crazy how much information there is out there.

Just now, EvanG said:

I managed to trace my family back to the 15th century with just some random ancestry website without paying for it. It's crazy how much information there is out there.

that's actually quite remarkable. Did they have birth documenting in the 15th century? not in belgium they don't

4 minutes ago, action said:

that's actually quite remarkable. Did they have birth documenting in the 15th century? not in belgium they don't

I don't know, but apparently one side of my family had been living in the same town since the 15th century , and I traced that back to one ancestor who had moved there from Cologne, Germany, and that's where it stopped.

Edited by EvanG
41 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I don't know, but apparently one side of my family had been living in the same town since the 15th century , and I traced that back to one ancestor who had moved there from Cologne, Germany, and that's where it stopped.

Don't the Dutch try and claim Ludwig Van? 

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I think any pet we have in our lives makes us feel better and happier. They love us unconditional and don't care if you're having a dumb day. lol 

Ha, so true. Today Im showing my unconditional love to him since he had a midnight freakout last night, lol. Hes the best though!I

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I was kidding, I would never do that! 

I know about ''going Dutch'' and that stereotype, but I'm not sure if the Dutch are really cheapskates compared to other nationalities. We don't really have a tipping culture like the way it is elsewhere, but it's not like that in a lot of countries, so I just don't know. Also, for such a tiny country, there are many different mentalities, a lot of provinces are quite different, where I live most people don't really identify with the rest of the country anyway, so maybe it's true for some other regions that I'm less familiar with.

I know you wouldnt do that!

Carving your shoes out of available wood must be a cost-saving measure?

If you write back that German kid make sure the post card has Zwarte Piet on in. :lol:

3 hours ago, action said:

- look up your family history. search through old archives, on internet search tools, look up old birth / decease documents etc. Your ancestors probably come from europe, maybe I can help you out from over the pond

- read up on the local history of your town

- go to your local graveyard and look at the names, maybe you find someone from your family

- drawing. draw nature

- start a book, in your handwriting. write about stuff, about your life, and your whisdom.

- make a delicious berry pie, the kind that you let cool down on the window, so the delicious smells travel through the forest, maybe attracting dwarves and gnomes

Thanks man.

Thats very cool of you to offer assistance in tracing my ancestry! Who knows, maybe I will purse that.

I like this suggestion about reading up on local history. Sounds really tempting to me in this moment. I know a bit from plaques and the back of menus at some restaraunts, etc. And its a really interesting history, if horrific. And history is very much in motion here today.

And as far as writing, if I ever get wisdom or a life I will be sure to write about it :lol: Nah, I actually have been enjoying having a notebook on hand lately. For me, mostly recipes/ recipe ideas, to do lists and zentangles. Im starting to get a preference for certain types of pens.

Im all over the baking, but apparently Ive been missing the entire point. Because Ive never attempted to call Tinkerbell to me with the smell of pie, lol

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, EvanG said:

Never heard of that before, I thought the Austrians tried to claim him?

the french surely tried to claim van gogh from the dutch. And the dutch try to claim brueghel from belgium.