The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

Sorry but my Pavlovian response whenever German wine enters the conversation is to hark back to an episode of Frasier from years ago. Frasier is holding a dinner party and one of the guests asks if he has any German wine. Niles walks into the kitchen, pours a glass of regular wine, adds a tablespoon of sugar and gives to to her. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

So tell me, like, taste-wise, what happens to a wine when its aged that makes it so much better? 

Hopefully it doesn’t ferment because if that had the usual amount of sugar as a normal German wine it’s probably about 95% alcohol by now. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dazey said:

Sorry but my Pavlovian response whenever German wine enters the conversation is to hark back to an episode of Frasier from years ago. Frasier is holding a dinner party and one of the guests asks if he has any German wine. Niles walks into the kitchen, pours a glass of regular wine, adds a tablespoon of sugar and gives to to her. :lol: 

'A plebian is a member of the lower order of society, class 5' - Harold Steptoe

He's described you to a T there eh? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

So tell me, like, taste-wise, what happens to a wine when its aged that makes it so much better? 

Most wines will not age well and they are not intended to. So you have to drink them within a few years. Exceptions are many types of red wine and a few whites, including some rieslings. Especially spatlese, which are rieslings where the grapes are harvested late meaning they are much more condensed in flavour. What happens in the bottle is a result of the contents, amounts of suger left for further fermentation, acids, etc. Generally speaking, the wine will develop secondary aromas and become more "ripe", in lack of a better word. When freshly bottled rieslings will have taste of unripe fruits and citrus. After decades of aging conversion of aromatic compounds turns the taste more towards ripe and overripe fruits. In bad case any residual sugar may be converted to acids, turning the wine sour. With rieslings you also get development of hydrocarbon flavours, like diesel and oil, and you might get precipitation of minerals at the bottom of the bottle. 

In short, fresh rieslings are often more unbalanced with very fruity tones, old rieslings become more complex and "heavy" in taste. Unless they have turned sour. 

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Hopefully it doesn’t ferment because if that had the usual amount of sugar as a normal German wine it’s probably about 95% alcohol by now. :lol: 

German wine had a terrible reputation some decades ago, and it is still known for cheap, simple and very sugary whites. Fortunately, they also produce the best rieslings in the world, especially ausleses and spatleses. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

German wine had a terrible reputation some decades ago, and it is still known for cheap, simple and very sugary whites. Fortunately, they also produce the best rieslings in the world, especially ausleses and spatleses. 

See you just made those words up didn’t you? :lol: 

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Generally speaking, the wine will develop secondary aromas and become more "ripe", in lack of a better word.

Sounds like my underpants. :lol: 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

What did the grape say when it was crushed?  

Nothing, it just let out a little wine.

grapes-to-wine

He said his non-alcoholic wine was delicious

I said he had no proof.

Reveal hidden contents

Lawmakers Corny GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

:facepalm:

:lol: 

Do you know where the phrase “proof” comes from?

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I'll be honest and won't Google it....so no, I don't.  :ph34r:

It’s really cool actually. The British navy used to have a daily rum ration and to check that it hadn’t been watered down they would pour it over some gunpowder and try to light it. If it was less than 57% ABV it wouldn’t light. Thus 100 proof was 57%. Typically the proof figure these days is just double the ABV but that’s where it originated anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

It’s really cool actually. The British navy used to have a daily rum ration and to check that it hadn’t been watered down they would pour it over some gunpowder and try to light it. If it was less than 57% ABV it wouldn’t light. Thus 100 proof was 57%. Typically the proof figure these days is just double the ABV but that’s where it originated anyway. 

Interesting but hoped for laughs. Disappointed. 

2/5.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nice.  I like those old folk stories on how things came about. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Generic and obvious projection. Still, classic Dazey. 

4/5.

So what you’re saying is the when I opine something of substance it means nothing to you yet when I disseminate unmitigated filth you’re happy? :lol: 

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

So what you’re saying is the when I opine something of substance it means nothing to you yet when I disseminate unmitigated filth you’re happy? :lol: 

I suppose it has to do with expectations. When you say something interesting I just feel confused. Not, like, expected. Where's funny man? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, I can't wait for the response, I have to disawow this right away :lol:. You are funny but behind this lies intelligence and knowledge. There you have it. 

BOOM!!!! :lol: 

I can now die happy. Cheers Doc. :lol: