The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

On 6/14/2017 at 5:50 PM, axlslash said:

Money and The Notorious MMA will officially square up in August, as McGregor vs Mayweather is booked for August 26. This probably belongs in the pro wrestling thread, though, because this fight will almost certainly be a work...

I was thinking that too, it's has all the makings of being a work.

Or Floyd will tap that head a few times and not get touched, and McGregor out of frustration flashbacks to mma and chokes him out.

But if it's not a work, and McGregor doesn't flip out, Floyd will win and it won't even be a fun match.

Edited by J Dog

28 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I was thinking that too, it's has all the makings of being a work.

Or Floyd will tap that head a few times and not get touched, and McGregor out of frustration flashbacks to mma and chokes him out.

But if it's not a work, and McGregor doesn't flip out, Floyd will win and it won't even be a fun match.

The only way this fight is a good idea for either of them is if it's a work. I don't know what the finish will be, but anything short of a decisive win for Floyd will crush his legacy (his usual win-on-points formula would even be a massive win for Conor), and Conor wouldn't take the fight if there were any possibility of that happening. Conor will flip out, the match will break apart, they'll brawl, it'll be A-plus TV, and the entire boxing community will be made to look like stupid marks. It's. A. Work. 

On 7/14/2017 at 5:26 PM, janrichmond said:

What does 'A Work' mean? Is it a fix? 

More than just a fix. A "work" is a pro wrestling term, meaning that it's all scripted in service of the storyline. These hype conferences have all been planned out, the fight will be fake, they know the outcomes. And there will be more fights, don't you worry. 

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

More than just a fix. A "work" is a pro wrestling term, meaning that it's all scripted in service of the storyline. These hype conferences have all been planned out, the fight will be fake, they know the outcomes. And there will be more fights, don't you worry. 

Won't be anywhere near as good as Mayweather vs. Big Show. :lol:

• Like 1

I would say in today's world it doesn't even matter if it's a work and you can tell. It can look totally fake and they can get called out on it, and then social media will go absolutely crazy about it. It will just be good build up for a "real" rematch, the most demanded controversial rematch in the history of rematches!, and make more $$$.

I have zero faith in our culture to call bullshit and walk away.

Edited by J Dog

6 hours ago, axlslash said:

Like wrestling then?

Mayweather will win the fight, he's out boxed the best so what more is there to say. People say maybe Mcgregor could have a punchers chance...and yes people who get hit by the guy go to sleep generally but even if he went dirty and savage for a few rounds i don't think it could match the intensity of someone like Maidana(who can for 12) and Floyds got past him twice.

Edited by Silverburst80

15 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Mayweather will win the fight, he's out boxed the best so what more is there to say. People say maybe Mcgregor could have a punchers chance...and yes people who get hit by the guy go to sleep generally but even if he went dirty and savage for a few rounds i don't think it could match the intensity of someone like Maidana and Floyds got past him twice.

If it's not a Wrestlemania type farce and if Floyd can even remotely be bothered, he'll embarrass McGregor. Sweet science.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Does this look good?

smith-williams2.jpg

yes, VERY!  I urge you to go see it!  Its sort of a grudge match.  Smith is from the famous Smith family of fighters out of Liverpool who most people had tagged to beat the very talented and underrated Williams, they both went in and had a pretty good fight, which to me Williams appeared to be winning until a clash of heads lead to a REALLY fuckin' ugly cut right on his eyelid that caused the fight to be stopped and a Smith victory.  They've since been very vocal in having a pop at each other, Smith calling Williams a bottler for quitting (bullshit, the cut was fucked up, that was a fight or go blind thing) and Williams all set for revenge, it'll be a good un, I'd definitely check it out.  In fact watch the first one.  a lot of butts were coming in.  I want Williams to win, the Smith brothers have been being cunts, they were gifted a victory here really and have been very smug about it since.

Edited by Len Cnut

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

yes, VERY!  I urge you to go see it!  Its sort of a grudge match.  Smith is from the famous Smith family of fighters out of Liverpool who most people had tagged to beat the very talented and underrated Williams, they both went in and had a pretty good fight, which to me Williams appeared to be winning until a clash of heads lead to a REALLY fuckin' ugly cut right on his eyelid that caused the fight to be stopped and a Smith victory.  They've since been very vocal in having a pop at each other, Smith calling Williams a bottler for quitting (bullshit, the cut was fucked up, that was a fight or go blind thing) and Williams all set for revenge, it'll be a good un, I'd definitely check it out.  In fact watch the first one.  a lot of butts were coming in.  I want Williams to win, the Smith brothers have been being cunts, they were gifted a victory here really and have been very smug about it since.

The cricket will have finished by then so I might go. We'll see.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Poor Conor McGregor, i feel terrible for him.

I'm pretty sure he's aiming for a KO. Don't think he's dumb enough to think he can outscore Floyd.

He might have a chance in the first few rounds if he turns this in a street fight.

It's going to be interesting ( or hilarious ).

3 minutes ago, The Glow Inc. said:

I'm pretty sure he's aiming for a KO. Don't think he's dumb enough to think he can outscore Floyd.

He might have a chance in the first few rounds if he turns this in a street fight.

It's going to be interesting ( or hilarious ).

He has absolutely zero chance and will not land one single meaningful punch on Floyd and the fight with go beyond 2 rounds only if Floyd wants it to.