The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

I don't think it's staged as such, I mean to a point you get this mouthy no talent Irishman in the same place as someone like Floyd there's gonna be a lot of gobbing off, so its at least staged in that sense, like a reality show y'know, you get these emotionally unstable bitches in the same places somethings gonna kick off.  I do agree that it's phoney though, the whole set up, everybody with half an ounce of sense knows Floyd would piss on this guy in a boxing ring 10 years from now even, with him at the same age, much less now.  The whole set up in cartooney.  But i don't think it's end to end set up, like a fix or a TV show. 

Cartooney is a good word for it. Not fake but, like you said, instead of pumping up a fight it feels like a reality show. I love some good trash talk, but this has all just felt, idk, something else. It's felt very 2017 if that makes sense.

Nah I don't think it will be a straight up fix or anything. But at the same time, it's just really hard for me to take the fight serious.

I'm pretty sure they actually like each other, hence why all the trash talk felt fishy.

And why wouldn't they, they are about to make a shitload of money because of each other, with almost nothing at stake. It's entertainment, not a fight with a genuine rivalry.

I just hope McGregor won't make himself look as bad as CM Punk did when he joined the UFC for about two minutes.

I dont think they like each other...at all.  Floyd in particular REALLY dislikes Conor.  Whatever else they are neither of them are good actors and Floyd, for all his failings, would not have a man standing in his face screaming obscenities at him at him at the weigh in face off, and thats literally what he was doing, screaming. 

All it is is a very soft touch for Floyds final fight, someone he KNOWS he can knock out so he can go out with a bang, with zero chance of taking an L and maximum pay out. 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dont think they like each other...at all.  Floyd in particular REALLY dislikes Conor.

I don't know, there were several occurences of McGregor making both him and Floyd Sr. crack a laugh and they weren't laughing at him ( when McGregor called the guy from Showtime a weasel to his face, when he stroked his bald head from behind, or when he called Sr. a fan of his ).

That's a pretty good sign you like someone when that happens despite your best efforts to remain serious.

I mean when you watch this, it's pretty clear that despite what they say there is no real rivalry between both camps :

Sr does make one great point among all that other nonsense, most of the guys Floyd has beaten would out box McGregor on any given day. Pac-man and Sugar Shane would both make him look silly in a boxing match.

And I really hope he's smarter to think that, "he's too small, he's too frail", is the reason he will beat Floyd. He's got to be a smarter fighter than that.

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Sr does make one great point among all that other nonsense, most of the guys Floyd has beaten would out box McGregor on any given day. Pac-man and Sugar Shane would both make him look silly in a boxing match.

And I really hope he's smarter to think that, "he's too small, he's too frail", is the reason he will beat Floyd. He's got to be a smarter fighter than that.

There are Golden Gloves winners that would make Conor look stupid in a boxing ring

1 hour ago, The Glow Inc. said:

I don't know, there were several occurences of McGregor making both him and Floyd Sr. crack a laugh and they weren't laughing at him ( when McGregor called the guy from Showtime a weasel to his face, when he stroked his bald head from behind, or when he called Sr. a fan of his ).

That's a pretty good sign you like someone when that happens despite your best efforts to remain serious.

I mean when you watch this, it's pretty clear that despite what they say there is no real rivalry between both camps :

I think you're reading a lot into things that there is nothing to, when he called Snr a fan Snr didnt understand what he said, when he did seconds later his expression changed, Christ he even took the piss out of his speech impediment, thats hardly the act of two friendly parties hamming it up.  Conor just looks unruffled and relaxed there cuz he knows Snr cant go anywhere with him in the verbals in a month of Sundays, hes taking the piss out of him.

If theres one thing about little Floyd he has no sense of humour about himself, there is none of the self deprecating in him or the allowing himself to be like...cowed or made to look the weaker party, he was SERIOUSLY pissed off at that weigh in and trying to look cool, the man is seriously up himself, theres no way he would engineer his swansong fights build up to be like that.  Immediate build up I mean.

Edited by Len Cnut

Boring and rather awkward on both parts. 

That being said, McGregor did better than most expected. 87-84 before that tko. He was completely gassed though in the last round so maybe showing up at 170 pounds was not such a good idea after all...

Ah well. He is a rich man now so props for having the balls and the mouth.

Not really better than I expected but longer than I expected. I figured once Floyd started it would've ended quicker. It was kinda over from round 4. McGregor looked ok the first 3 rounds but that's just as much on Floyd I'd say, many of his fights start off that way regardless of who the opponent is. First few rounds he's defense all the way checking out the other guy, this was no different really.

Just now, J Dog said:

Not really better than I expected but longer than I expected. I figured once Floyd started it would've ended quicker. It was kinda over from round 4. McGregor looked ok the first 3 rounds but that's just as much on Floyd I'd say, many of his fights start off that way regardless of who the opponent is. First few rounds he's defense all the way checking out the other guy, this was no different really.

Pretty sure Mayweather said after the 3rd round: "I have him now" or something like that

6 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Pretty sure Mayweather said after the 3rd round: "I have him now" or something like that

That's how it turned out too. McGregor was pretty much a non factor after that.

People throw a lot of shade at Floyd because of his style, I don't like him personally but as a boxer, his style is smart and at 50-0, I'd say it's pretty effective.

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Conor was blowing like a bitch after two rounds, Floyd wasnt even bothering with defence, knew he couldnt hurt him, last couple of rounds he was nearly chasing him :lol:

He landed 30 more punches that Manny did on Mayweather by the 3rd round.

Anyway not really sure what the fight proves apart from the amount of money two people can make. Mayweather beat a competitor at another sport and Conor obviously would have won if this was MMA.

Not convinced either are the best at their sports. Mayweather fights are boring and Conor isn't exactly unbeatable... outside his own self hype in UFC.

Both will go down in history, because of the stats. ...But they don't tell the story.

Edited by AtariLegend