The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

The fight went pretty much how I expected. Conor' s biggest mistake was that he fully believed he was going to knock out Floyd within the first few rounds. So once that didn't happen, he had no plan b. Besides he wasted all of his energy trying to knock out Floyd, then he didn't have anything for the late rounds. 

I felt 8th round on Conor was in BIG trouble, he had NOTHING left. His arrogance in believing that HIS style was superior to that of boxing, and his unwillingness to actually study boxing, was a stupid mistake. At least it's definitive now, boxers punch HARDER than MMA guys, period. Anyone that doesn't believe that is an idiot.

7 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

At least it's definitive now, boxers punch HARDER than MMA guys, period. Anyone that doesn't believe that is an idiot.

Conor wasn't knocked down and he's always gassed passed 20 minute mark anyway.

So I'm still not convinced. I guess I'm in the idiot band wagon for having seen Conor fights before.

28 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

He landed 30 more punches that Manny did on Mayweather by the 3rd round.

Anyway not really sure what the fight proves apart from the amount of money two people can make. Mayweather beat a competitor at another sport and Conor obviously would have won if this was MMA.

Not convinced either are the best at their sports. Mayweather fights are boring and Conor isn't exactly unbeatable... outside his own self hype in UFC.

Both will go down in history, because of the stats. ...But they don't tell the story.

Yeah cuz Floyd was letting him land shots cuz he punches like a girl, when have you ever seen Floyd walk into shots like that?  He just didnt care cuz Conor cant punch.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah cuz Floyd was letting him land shots cuz he punches like a girl, when have you ever seen Floyd walk into shots like that?  He just didnt care cuz Conor cant punch.

Doesn't matter does it. That was 3 rounds blown on points.

Sure he still won in the end, but it could have backfired if Conor had stamina.

18 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Doesn't matter does it. That was 3 rounds blown on points.

Sure he still won in the end, but it could have backfired if Conor had stamina.

You think it was stamina that was making him eat shots almost the entire fight?  He could have all the stamina he wants, he cant box mate.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You think it was stamina that was making him eat shots almost the entire fight?  He could have all the stamina he wants, he cant box mate.

I never said he was winning the fight and wouldn't have expected Mayweather to lose a boxing match to a guy who normally fights with kicks and uses wrestling moves ect. He did win early rounds on points, so yes I do believe if he had stamina he'd done a bit better.

My argument is that I don't see what any of this proves.

Edited by AtariLegend

48 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Conor wasn't knocked down and he's always gassed passed 20 minute mark anyway.

So I'm still not convinced. I guess I'm in the idiot band wagon for having seen Conor fights before.

Does Conor hit as hard as Floyd? Probably, maybe even harder. Guys like Canelo and Triple G would run over Conor though, that's my point. If Conor is this legendary MMA striker, he only has midgrade boxing power.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You lot actually watched this swizz?

Ya I did. We had a fight party over a friends house. It was a good time. I was the boxing expert in a room full of MMA fans, and all my predictions came true.

😃

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Conor isn't a legendary MMA fighter.

He's a big mouth who's hyped himself into being a star over the past few years. Debatable whether he's even best at the weight's he competed at, but he is the best at the minute of drawing a buyrate in UFC against "insert the name".

14 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

He's a big mouth who's hyped himself into being a star over the past few years. Debatable whether he's even best at the weight's he competed at, but he is the best at the minute of drawing a buyrate in UFC against "insert the name".

That's important in the fight game though. There is a reason Khabib Nurmagomedov, who has a perfect MMA record barely gets enough money to pay the bills, not to mention doesn't even get a title shot :  because he is boring as fuck and constantly whines outside the octagon.

Superstars are byproducts of both their skillset and the way they portray themselves. I'd say the charisma part is even more important because charismatic people are remembered while uncharismatic talented people, unfortunately, aren't.

Edited by The Glow Inc.

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

I'd agree with that. Diaz could easily be 2-0 against him. Some say he should be 2-0 against him. And they would have a good argument I think.

I can see why people got caught up in the spectical and trash talking, but did anyone think McGregor stood a chance? I kmow little about MMA and boxing, but from what I do know, both require different things in terms of strategy and physique? Why woukd anyone think McGregor could stand a chance? How could it even be an interesting fight

30 minutes ago, Dan H. said:

I can see why people got caught up in the spectical and trash talking, but did anyone think McGregor stood a chance? I kmow little about MMA and boxing, but from what I do know, both require different things in terms of strategy and physique? Why woukd anyone think McGregor could stand a chance? How could it even be an interesting fight

I thought McGregor had a chance until I found out it was an actual boxing match. 

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I didn't say Conor was a legendary MMA fighter, I said legendary MMA striker, big difference. Which, that's why this fight was billed as competitive, MMA fans truly believed Conor had elite power. Which that's one of the things last night's fight proved, Boxers DO indeed hit harder than MMA guys. Being an elite MMA striker is equvilant to having average boxing power. 

Other things were learned as well... like Floyd truly is an ALL TIME GREAT fighter. Love him or hate him, he has earned that right. I also agree with him, when you add up the entire sport of boxing (in ring fights, pay per view draw, money made, undefeated record, and walking away with his brain in tact) He has a legitimate claim as TBE. Not The GOAT, that's Ali or sugar ray Robinson. But Floyd remaining undefeated, and truly fighting other great fighters is legit. He is by no means my fighter of choice (I like 20 guys better for sure), I still give him props. Arguably the best defensive fighter ever, and he ended his career with an exciting fight imo.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I honestly do not know one person who watches MMA. Is it not popular in Britain - obviously the Irish like it?  I do not know anything about the sport.

A bunch of fuckin' no marks without the talent to excel in a strict discipline get this bullshit sport invented for em where you get in a cage and fight like animals, thats about the size of it.  A bunch of failed athletes and ham and eggers knocking fuckin' lumps out of each other with no skill and even less brains.  A sport for those who'd love WWF but it ain't real enough for em.  

And the funniest bit is they reckon Bruce Lee invented it :lol: 

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

A bunch of failed athletes and ham and eggers knocking fuckin' lumps out of each other with no skill and even less brains.  A sport for those who'd love WWF but it ain't real enough for em.  

Funniest thing ive read all day, especially the Bruce Lee part!! 😂

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

A bunch of fuckin' no marks without the talent to excel in a strict discipline get this bullshit sport invented for em where you get in a cage and fight like animals, thats about the size of it.  A bunch of failed athletes and ham and eggers knocking fuckin' lumps out of each other with no skill and even less brains.  A sport for those who'd love WWF but it ain't real enough for em.  

Is it popular in Britain though, or have I simply not been so fortunate or otherwise in not meeting someone who likes it? It seems to be more a Yanks thing, but then that tattooed yob was Irish and there seemed to be a large contingent of traveling Irish pissheads to watch him box?

In fairness, Bruce Lee was a martial arts polymath. He described pure Chinese kung fu as a ''classical mess'' and incorporated Ali's footwork, Japanese fighting techniques and others into his Jeet Kune Do. I do not know how all that applies to MMA - as I said, I'm clueless on MMA - but if that is what they're getting at with the Bruce mention they might have a point?

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is it popular in Britain though, or have I simply not been so fortunate or otherwise in not meeting someone who likes it? It seems to be more a Yanks thing, but then that tattooed yob was Irish and there seemed to be a large contingent of traveling Irish pissheads to watch him box?

In fairness, Bruce Lee was a martial arts polymath. He described pure Chinese kung fu as a ''classical mess'' and incorporated Ali's footwork, Japanese fighting techniques and others into his Jeet Kune Do. I do not know how all that applies to MMA - as I said, I'm clueless on MMA - but if that is what they're getting at with the Bruce mention they might have a point?

When Bruce Lee spoke about creating a formless style i dont think he meant 'just pile in and go for it lads!'.  

Is it popular here?  I'm not sure, it is to a point I suppose.  Yeah it does seem to be bigger in America but its catching on here too.

• 2 weeks later...