The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

On 9/19/2017 at 10:23 AM, Len Cnut said:

Some cracking fights coming up, Rigondeaux vs Lomachenko, Anthony Joshua v Pulev, Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz, David Haye vs Tony Bellew II seems like its on, Hughie Furys fighting Joseph Parker for the WBO strap this weekend.  Plus the two Liams fighting in Newcastle...and those are just the Len picks.

Len - would this be something that would help eliminate a lot of the crazy scoring we get at some of these major fights?

Four judges instead of three. The majority/accumulation of their scorecards each round would count as ONE score - not as individual scores. At the end of the fight you wouldn't have three scorecards, you would have one final card. Joe wins the decision 115-113 or what have you.

It's a really easy system that would basically eliminate the crazy scoring that Adelene or whatever her name was gave.

Example:

If all four judges give boxer A the round - fighter A wins the round. So the one/only official round is scored for fighter A 10-9.
Three judges give round to fighter A, one judge gives it to fighter B.  Official scorecard: 10-9 round for fighter A.
If two judges give the round to fighter A and two give it to fighter B - then it's a 10-10 round.

It's that simple. Four judges just gives it more weight than three judges. If 3 judges though fighter A easily won....but this woman judge gave the round to the other guy....her vote is basically eliminated.

Second - why not make the scoring available each round, like they do in all other sports? How much would it change the fight game if after 9 rounds, both fighters knew that fighter A was ahead on the cards 87-83?

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

Len - would this be something that would help eliminate a lot of the crazy scoring we get at some of these major fights?

Four judges instead of three. The majority/accumulation of their scorecards each round would count as ONE score - not as individual scores. At the end of the fight you wouldn't have three scorecards, you would have one final card. Joe wins the decision 115-113 or what have you.

It's a really easy system that would basically eliminate the crazy scoring that Adelene or whatever her name was gave.

Example:

If all four judges give boxer A the round - fighter A wins the round. So the one/only official round is scored for fighter A 10-9.
Three judges give round to fighter A, one judge gives it to fighter B.  Official scorecard: 10-9 round for fighter A.
If two judges give the round to fighter A and two give it to fighter B - then it's a 10-10 round.

It's that simple. Four judges just gives it more weight than three judges. If 3 judges though fighter A easily won....but this woman judge gave the round to the other guy....her vote is basically eliminated.

Second - why not make the scoring available each round, like they do in all other sports? How much would it change the fight game if after 9 rounds, both fighters knew that fighter A was ahead on the cards 87-83?

Under some commisioning bodies they do make the score available  mid rounds I believe.  Or like they tell you where they're at halfway.  I dunno, on the face of it it all seems good but honestly i don't think I'm bright enough to have opinions on stuff like this, i feel like i ain't seeing all the angles or whatever.  I'm one of those ones that fears change too :lol:  Like in football when they say they should do replays and have refs judging based on those, I'm just wary about it, I dunno, I'd have to think about it I suppose.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Haye and Bellew was all hype and no trousers. We've seen some great big fights lately, Joshua v Klitschko, Golovkin v Canelo: why do we need a repeat of that? I watched it and wanted the two of them to basically bugger-off.

Cuz Haye fucked his achillies up mid-fight, did you not notice how bad he was struggling?  I guess you'd have to have seen a bit of Haye to tell the difference, without that you might just assume he's a plodder.

3E14BF9E00000578-4294602-image-a-32_1488

Tasty eh?

Edited by Len Cnut

Hughie boys goin' up against Joseph Parker today, another potential British Heavyweight Champion, GO ON HUGHIE!  Also, in the wee hours, British Olympian Luke Campbell goes up against Jorge Linares for the World Lightweight strap.  Good luck Cool Hand cuz you're gonna fuckin' need it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Did anybody watched Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz last weekend?

It was a great fight IMO!

yeah, Wilder really got it in, i thought Ortiz had him for a second in the 7th.  Wilders a fuckin' weird one, he's very much lacking in skills but by hook or crook he's been gettin the job done for 40 odd fights, all fuckin' knockouts.  The guy punches like a woman but everytime he's getting it done, he's like the Rainman of boxing, I really like him.   I got this feeling he might knock Joshua right off his suspension. 

Was a good little fight though, this is whats great about the heavyweight division lately, its got a bunch of these new and interesting highly flawed characters in it which is brilliant because every time one of em gets touched they're all over the place, makes for really exciting fights cuz you never know how shits gonna go.  Wilder kinda raised my expectations of him in this with that 7th round, I always thought he'd've won but I didn't know that he'd hold a shot like he did...then again there are those saying the 7th was evidence more of his not being able to hold a shot rather than the opposite, I'd call it the opposite though give or take because hey, he came out on top right?

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

yeah, Wilder really got it in, i thought Ortiz had him for a second in the 7th.  Wilders a fuckin' weird one, he's very much lacking in skills but by hook or crook he's been gettin the job done for 40 odd fights, all fuckin' knockouts.  The guy punches like a woman but everytime he's getting it done, he's like the Rainman of boxing, I really like him.   I got this feeling he might knock Joshua right off his suspension. 

Was a good little fight though, this is whats great about the heavyweight division lately, its got a bunch of these new and interesting highly flawed characters in it which is brilliant because every time one of em gets touched they're all over the place, makes for really exciting fights cuz you never know how shits gonna go.  Wilder kinda raised my expectations of him in this with that 7th round, I always thought he'd've won but I didn't know that he'd hold a shot like he did...then again there are those saying the 7th was evidence more of his not being able to hold a shot rather than the opposite, I'd call it the opposite though give or take because hey, he came out on top right?

That 7th round was crazy. I don't know how many good shots he took from Ortiz but he managed to stay on his feet . I thought it's over every moment but it seems like Wilder has a better chin than most people thought.

All in all Ortiz did a good fight. He is a good technical boxer and Wilder needed his time to find a way to hurt Ortiz.

It was very dramatic asnd exciting. Great to watch. 

Joshua would outbox Wilder, but Wilder is able to end the fight every moment with one right hook. He's a killer.

Edited by Free Bird

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That 7th round was crazy. I don't know how many good shots he took from Ortiz but he managed to not fall. I thought it's over every moment but it seems like Wilder has a better chin than most people thought.

All in all Ortiz did a good fight. He is a good technical boxer and Wilder needed his time to find a way to hurt Ortiz.

It was very dramatic asnd exciting. Great to watch. 

Joshua would outbox Wilder, but Wilder is able to end the fight every moment with one right hook. He's a killer.

I wouldn't be giving Joshua too much credit in that regard, he's pretty one dimensional and Deontay certainly moves better than him. 

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I wouldn't be giving Joshua too much credit in that regard, he's pretty one dimensional and Deontay certainly moves better than him. 

Obviously Wilder is faster and his stamina should be above AJs. If AJ won't KO Wilder within 6 or 7 rounds he might get some problems.

Edited by Free Bird

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Obviously Wilder is faster and his stamina should be above AJs

Speed, movement...thats a reciepe for disaster if Wilder comes in with the right tactics.  Couple that with his fuckin' coma-inducing right hand and Wilders a favourite to me.

• Like 1

Wilder is extremely unorthodox, he doesn't actually do anything well, doesn't have the best jab, even his knockout shots, in a textbook sense, are not very good in that, on paper, a slick boxer should be able to circumvent them cuz they're so wild and looping and winging, straight shots are the perfect counter.  Problem is great textbook boxers are kinda thin on the ground at the moment.  And its precisely his unorthodoxy that makes him kinda difficult, the fact that he's doing everything wrong, his extremely wide stance puts distance between himself and fighters, the wild looping nature of his shots makes them difficult to always block or slip cuz you don't know where that spaghetti arm shit is gonna hit you next.  When you pile it all together, thus far, its kinda been too much for everybody and I feel like it might be too much for everyone.

Its worth noting y'know, not that the two are in the least bit comparable, but in a textbook sense Muhammad Ali wasn't a great fighter either.  He pulled away from punches instead of slipping, he didn't really have any power to speak of, didn't throw body shots, what he had was speed and footwork but it was just the right conglomeration of a bunch of no-no's perfectly executed to where he was a fighter that no one can touch.  Now Wilder is as far from an Ali as you can get but that principle might be applicable, he might just be doing all the right wrong stuff for this era of hefty lumbering heavyweights with questionable punch resistance.  It'll be interesting to find out either way.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I've been following Wilder since he first fought for the WBC belt. Him and Joshua would make for a great HW fight imo. Hopefully it doesn't take 10 more years to happen. That's the biggest problem with boxing, the fights people WANT to see take to long to happen. Mayweather was the KING of this.

19 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I've been following Wilder since he first fought for the WBC belt. Him and Joshua would make for a great HW fight imo. Hopefully it doesn't take 10 more years to happen. That's the biggest problem with boxing, the fights people WANT to see take to long to happen. Mayweather was the KING of this.

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight  was 3 years to late imo.

Joshua and Wilder shouldn't wait longer. This fight needs to happen in 2018. The sooner the better.

They won't wait that long, Joshua and Wilder ain't as interesting a proposition, its not as saleable, Pacman v Floyd was like on a Leonard Hagler level where 'we MUST know', as many people don't even know who Joshua and Wilder are compared to Floyd and Pacman, they're gonna get this fight made soon, its not like Big Josh has been prudent in his fight picking, he's 20 fights into his career and he's won a title, fought and beat Klitschko to unify and now he's lined up to fight Parker, another title holder in a few weeks time and Wilder ain't running either, we will see this fight inside 18 months or less. 

Edited by Len Cnut

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully,

but sure as hell we'll see Joshua against Parker tomorrow.

Still I'm dissapointed that Wilder won't be ringside. I thought a face2face  postfight between Josh and Deontay would be interesting. Also would be good for Wilder's promotion here in Europe since there a lot of people who don't even know him.

Wilders coming, i think hes changed his mind.

Anyway fuck that bullshit, these muppets make a fuckin joke of boxing, fuckin head to heads post fight and fuckin promoters head to heads, i dont give a fuck, i wanna see fighters fight, not look at each other, this ain’t WWF.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Wilders coming, i think hes changed his mind.

Anyway fuck that bullshit, these muppets make a fuckin joke of boxing, fuckin head to heads post fight and fuckin promoters head to heads, i dont give a fuck, i wanna see fighters fight, not look at each other, this ain’t WWF.

Who do you reckon wins in the Selby/Warrington fight Len? 

13 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Who do you reckon wins in the Selby/Warrington fight Len? 

I’m an avowed Lee Selby fan so I would back Selby one way or the other but even apart from that he’s got bags more skills than Warrington and all those fuckin’ jeering Leeds scumbags is all Warringtons got, Selbz will box his fuckin’ head off.  He does need to watch himself though cuz I could see a few holes in the Barros fight.

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m an avowed Lee Selby fan so I would back Selby one way or the other but even apart from that he’s got bags more skills than Warrington and all those fuckin’ jeering Leeds scumbags is all Warringtons got, Selbz will box his fuckin’ head off.  He does need to watch himself though cuz I could see a few holes in the Barros fight.

Andrew Selby is pretty handy aswell. I dont think Warrington can win. The Leeds fans might lift him at the end of the early rounds but out pointing him over the distance is not gonna happen.