The Boxing Thread

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That 7th round was crazy. I don't know how many good shots he took from Ortiz but he managed to not fall. I thought it's over every moment but it seems like Wilder has a better chin than most people thought.

All in all Ortiz did a good fight. He is a good technical boxer and Wilder needed his time to find a way to hurt Ortiz.

It was very dramatic asnd exciting. Great to watch. 

Joshua would outbox Wilder, but Wilder is able to end the fight every moment with one right hook. He's a killer.

I wouldn't be giving Joshua too much credit in that regard, he's pretty one dimensional and Deontay certainly moves better than him. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is, yes   Up North they even bung it on the end of sentences, inexplicably!  Example: Normal Human Being:  Alright Ted, where you off to? Northern Pig:  I’m off up t’pub like!

The fight that Leonard claimed 'taught me survival' and also led to his retina problems later.

I laugh heartily at anyone who paid for that shitshow.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I wouldn't be giving Joshua too much credit in that regard, he's pretty one dimensional and Deontay certainly moves better than him. 

Obviously Wilder is faster and his stamina should be above AJs. If AJ won't KO Wilder within 6 or 7 rounds he might get some problems.

Edited by Free Bird
6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Obviously Wilder is faster and his stamina should be above AJs

Speed, movement...thats a reciepe for disaster if Wilder comes in with the right tactics.  Couple that with his fuckin' coma-inducing right hand and Wilders a favourite to me.

• Like 1

Wilder is extremely unorthodox, he doesn't actually do anything well, doesn't have the best jab, even his knockout shots, in a textbook sense, are not very good in that, on paper, a slick boxer should be able to circumvent them cuz they're so wild and looping and winging, straight shots are the perfect counter.  Problem is great textbook boxers are kinda thin on the ground at the moment.  And its precisely his unorthodoxy that makes him kinda difficult, the fact that he's doing everything wrong, his extremely wide stance puts distance between himself and fighters, the wild looping nature of his shots makes them difficult to always block or slip cuz you don't know where that spaghetti arm shit is gonna hit you next.  When you pile it all together, thus far, its kinda been too much for everybody and I feel like it might be too much for everyone.

Its worth noting y'know, not that the two are in the least bit comparable, but in a textbook sense Muhammad Ali wasn't a great fighter either.  He pulled away from punches instead of slipping, he didn't really have any power to speak of, didn't throw body shots, what he had was speed and footwork but it was just the right conglomeration of a bunch of no-no's perfectly executed to where he was a fighter that no one can touch.  Now Wilder is as far from an Ali as you can get but that principle might be applicable, he might just be doing all the right wrong stuff for this era of hefty lumbering heavyweights with questionable punch resistance.  It'll be interesting to find out either way.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I've been following Wilder since he first fought for the WBC belt. Him and Joshua would make for a great HW fight imo. Hopefully it doesn't take 10 more years to happen. That's the biggest problem with boxing, the fights people WANT to see take to long to happen. Mayweather was the KING of this.

19 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I've been following Wilder since he first fought for the WBC belt. Him and Joshua would make for a great HW fight imo. Hopefully it doesn't take 10 more years to happen. That's the biggest problem with boxing, the fights people WANT to see take to long to happen. Mayweather was the KING of this.

The Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight  was 3 years to late imo.

Joshua and Wilder shouldn't wait longer. This fight needs to happen in 2018. The sooner the better.

They won't wait that long, Joshua and Wilder ain't as interesting a proposition, its not as saleable, Pacman v Floyd was like on a Leonard Hagler level where 'we MUST know', as many people don't even know who Joshua and Wilder are compared to Floyd and Pacman, they're gonna get this fight made soon, its not like Big Josh has been prudent in his fight picking, he's 20 fights into his career and he's won a title, fought and beat Klitschko to unify and now he's lined up to fight Parker, another title holder in a few weeks time and Wilder ain't running either, we will see this fight inside 18 months or less. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • 3 weeks later...

Hopefully,

but sure as hell we'll see Joshua against Parker tomorrow.

Still I'm dissapointed that Wilder won't be ringside. I thought a face2face  postfight between Josh and Deontay would be interesting. Also would be good for Wilder's promotion here in Europe since there a lot of people who don't even know him.

Wilders coming, i think hes changed his mind.

Anyway fuck that bullshit, these muppets make a fuckin joke of boxing, fuckin head to heads post fight and fuckin promoters head to heads, i dont give a fuck, i wanna see fighters fight, not look at each other, this ain’t WWF.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Anyway fuck that bullshit, these muppets make a fuckin joke of boxing, fuckin head to heads post fight and fuckin promoters head to heads, i dont give a fuck, i wanna see fighters fight, not look at each other, this ain’t WWF.

Who do you reckon wins in the Selby/Warrington fight Len? 

13 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Who do you reckon wins in the Selby/Warrington fight Len? 

I’m an avowed Lee Selby fan so I would back Selby one way or the other but even apart from that he’s got bags more skills than Warrington and all those fuckin’ jeering Leeds scumbags is all Warringtons got, Selbz will box his fuckin’ head off.  He does need to watch himself though cuz I could see a few holes in the Barros fight.

Edited by Len Cnut
26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Last time I saw Joshua fight I wasn't that impressed to be honest. It was some fight against a French journeymen lump-of-lard. 

How on earth is Takam a lump of lard?! :lol:

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m an avowed Lee Selby fan so I would back Selby one way or the other but even apart from that he’s got bags more skills than Warrington and all those fuckin’ jeering Leeds scumbags is all Warringtons got, Selbz will box his fuckin’ head off.  He does need to watch himself though cuz I could see a few holes in the Barros fight.

Andrew Selby is pretty handy aswell. I dont think Warrington can win. The Leeds fans might lift him at the end of the early rounds but out pointing him over the distance is not gonna happen.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I cannot really remember him to be honest; I just do not remember Joshua being that good. 

To be honest, I watched only two full fights of Joshua. Against Takam it was really disappointing but against Klitschko he showed some heart.

That said, I'm more of a Wilder fan.

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I just read he won't attend but however. You're right. They just have to make the fight happen.

I got to a point in life where I dont give a shit who wins anymore, I just wanna see good fights, its not like when I was a kid and like Roy Jones and Mike Tyson were around and I like, cared who won like with my heart, like one guy was just like, your guy.

29 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I got to a point in life where I dont give a shit who wins anymore, I just wanna see good fights, its not like when I was a kid and like Roy Jones and Mike Tyson were around and I like, cared who won like with my heart, like one guy was just like, your guy.

Like, omg like totally. :lol:

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Is that like a matter of like fact you like old man? :lol:

It is, yes :lol:  Up North they even bung it on the end of sentences, inexplicably!  Example:

Normal Human Being:  Alright Ted, where you off to?

Northern Pig:  I’m off up t’pub like!

• Haha 3